Looking for advice for tech regs to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCope3

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've browsed the forum and have spent most of the day doing research (and I've done plenty in the past months too) and I'm still fairly undecided on what to do, so I'm turning to you all for advice...

I'm a divemaster looking to make the jump to instructor and move to a more full-time situation pretty soon (I'm a teacher/administrator so I'm kind of constricted to the school year schedule... can't just up and leave any time). I also know that I want to get into tech diving in the next year or two and eventually become a tech instructor.

I'm looking to complete my kit - the regulators are the last things to buy. I've been holding off on them due to indecision, the money factor, and the fact that I've got one to use for now at the diving school where I train/practice/volunteer.

I would like to buy a reg set that is versatile and can be used for pretty much anything that I would do in the next years... cold water/ice diving and deep diving are what I'm most concerned with because that's essentially what I do 90% of the time I dive. I would also prefer something that I could service myself, but that's not a firm requirement. I'm not really interested in sidemount yet, but the ability to be used in that way in the future would be nice for whenever I go that direction.

I'm stuck between two options and I've read plenty of pros and cons for both... I'll share what I know/think I know and hope that you all can give me some feedback and advice. Money isn't really a problem... as a teacher I'm DEFINITELY not rich, but if the more expensive option is the better one, I prefer to wait longer, save for as long as it takes, and buy that, than to go for the less expensive option and not like it as much. And I want a doubles setup... currently I dive single tank with an h-valve and will eventually move to a twinset.

1. Poseidon Xstream Black: The worst things about this that I know of are price, availability of service, and some people criticize the breathing (although I've heard mixed reviews, and from what I hear, it's exactly the kind of breathing I'm looking for!). Living in Europe (close to Sweden... or at least closer than the Americas) I feel like it would be easier to get the regs serviced... but how does Poseidon work? Would I be able to buy parts and service them myself? The service issue is the biggest cause to my hesitation with Poseidon.

2. Apeks MTX-RC (or just MTX-R..? not sure which is better): I would love to get my hands on the MTX military all black version, but I've recently read some pretty harsh criticism on Apeks in terms of the WOB as well as ability to buy parts and do self service (aka if you don't work for a dealer, you can't buy parts even if you're certified). It's definitely the more cost-effective option, but I don't want something that's hard to breathe. Also, would it be better to go with the tek 3 twinset first stages rather than two MTX-R first stages?

I also consider the fact that when I become an instructor (and even now, as a divemaster, assisting with courses) with the Poseidon, demonstrating a purge will be different to the students and I like the idea of being able to demonstrate to a student exactly how he/she should purge... perhaps I could still use a reg from the school just for those instructional dives...

I've written a lot already so I'll stop here. I really do appreciate any feedback you all could give. If there's a reg that I've not mentioned that is superior to these, please feel free to speak up about that too.

Thanks a lot!
Joe

@tbone1004 @stuartv I would like to hear your opinions here, especially, if you wouldn't mind... I see you guys posting on here a lot and I really like the way you reason things out.

I can't help with most of your questions, but I can at least add to your understanding of the MTX-R versus the MTX-RC.
The first one has no venturi control and no opening effort adjustment. The WOB is a bit high, especially for Apeks. That is because it is based on the military design requirements that have priorities in extremes of usage other than WOB.

The MTX-RX is the MTX-R, but with a venturi and opening effort control added. I have not been able to get WOB specs for it yet, but I think it is reasonable to believe that it will perform the same as the MTX-R when set to the "worst" settings, for extremes of cold and depth, and probably about the same as the rest of the Apeks line when dialed to more liberal settings for more typical diving.

1. Poseidon Xstream Black: The worst things about this that I know of are price, availability of service, and some people criticize the breathing (although I've heard mixed reviews, and from what I hear, it's exactly the kind of breathing I'm looking for!). Living in Europe (close to Sweden... or at least closer than the Americas) I feel like it would be easier to get the regs serviced... but how does Poseidon work? Would I be able to buy parts and service them myself? The service issue is the biggest cause to my hesitation with Poseidon.

I was familiar with the use of two of your options, the Apeks and Poseidon; but, of the two, I would recommend the Xstream. I have been using them, since that model's inception in the early 2000s. The Black version is simply an anodized-coated Xstream Deep. The conventional model is generally a few hundred US dollars cheaper and is otherwise identical. The black looks cool; but so what? Big deal.

The first stage has been credited with the fewest moving parts of any regulator; and they're very simple to service; so too its second stage. Parts kits are readily available through www.divergearexpress.com and are often sold over eBay, both domestically and in Europe. In terms of breathing, they can be adjusted to suit most any preference; and the complaints about inhalation issues that I have heard, only reflect poor tuning. To give you an idea, here is an excerpt from the most recent service manual, in terms of potential breathing adjustments:

"Some divers like the setting extremely light, and some prefer a higher cracking pressure. Ask your customer. Technically, Xstream can be adjusted from 0 mm w.c to > 100 mm w.c. The risk for a free flow increases with decreasing cracking pressure. Below 25 mm w.c in a certain attitude (exhalation diaphragm the shallowest and inhalation diaphragm the deepest), the regulator inhalation valve will stay permanently open, bubbling. Above 40 mm w.c the breathing becomes uncomfortable."

Mine is usually set to about 28 mm w.c . . .

I'm not a Tech diver and never will be but the biggest prioity for me is availability of parts and ease of service...I do my own. My family has Hog, Deep6 and Dive Rite Regs which are all similar designs....makes things much easier for me.

As an aside I'm finding that the work of breathing seems to change for me from dive to dive, so have decided that most of it must be my perception on any given day/dive

Here is the Poseidon Regulator class schedule. I took it basically to understand better how my regulators work. With successful completion you would be able to order service parts and service the reg yourself. I just don't have the air, workbench, etc. It's literally the most simple regulator on the market. The class includes the Cyklon 1st and 2nd and the Jetstream 2nd. I love how they breathe, though some complain about getting a blast of air. For service in Italy, you will have to research that.

Here is the Poseidon Regulator class schedule. I took it basically to understand better how my regulators work. With successful completion you would be able to order service parts and service the reg yourself.POSEIDON SERVICE TECHNICIAN TRAINING

The guy's in Italy; and those classes listed are in the states . . .

Poseidon Xstream Black: The worst things about this that I know of are price, availability of service, and some people criticize the breathing (although I've heard mixed reviews, and from what I hear, it's exactly the kind of breathing I'm looking for!). Living in Europe (close to Sweden... or at least closer than the Americas) I feel like it would be easier to get the regs serviced... but how does Poseidon work? Would I be able to buy parts and service them myself? The service issue is the biggest cause to my hesitation with Poseidon.

You can do your service tech course if you like, then you can save money on servicing. Otherwise, it isn't a problem buying service kits. The Black version looks really sweet but its overkill for you, the standard XStream will do everything you need it to do. If you PM me I can see what can be done with getting you a good price on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom