Looking for advice for tech regs to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks in terms of the WOB as well as ability to buy parts and do self service (aka if you don't work for a dealer, you can't buy parts even if you're certified). It's definitely the more cost-effective option, but I don't want something that's hard to breathe.

This is not an issue on Europe, where anyone can order Apeks service kits online. There are even 3rd party service kits available, but without much price difference I don't know any reason to buy those. None of the Apeks regs are "hard" to breathe in real life.

I simply suggest that, whatever regs you choose, you service them yourself. I would never leave another "technician" to mess with my regs!
So an important factor is easy availability of parts for your regs. For a long time, not just now!
When we went pro, I and my wife did already own 4 complete Scubapro MarkV (109 second stages, converted to 156). Of course for doing professional usage you cannot use an Octopus, you need two complete regs (two independent first stages connected to two independent valves - if going tech, it will also also mean a twin cylinder setup with isolation manifold).
We went pro in 1985, and my regs were already old at that time (bought them in years 1975-1979). Indeed they were (and are) almost the best available, and tuning them properly they were providing better performances of anything else. We did work as professional DM-instructors for 5 years, but also after coming back to rec diving, we continued servicing the regs at home, having them being used also by our sons. Would you rely on regs serviced by someone else than you, when the life of your son depends on it?
We are still using the same 4 regs NOW. They are 45 years old, and still almost the best you can use. In the meanwhile we did buy other two (for our sons), again MKV - 109 (or 156). Having all the same makes it easy to service, and to swap parts if required. Never had problem to get parts for them, which is uncommon for devices so old.
So I suggest that you also evaluate passing to the "dark side": classic vintage equipment, restored by yourself to top-notch performances, and with a reliability that more complex devices will never reach. A MK5 first stage has just one moving part, the stainless-steel piston.
Many people prefer diaphragm first stages for cold water, but I and my wife dove our ones under one meter of ice a couple of times, and there is no problem if the SPEC system is full of silicon grease. Of course a piston first stage must be serviced every year, but, as I do it myself, it is not a significant cost.
And if you are going to work with students and customers, the respect you get showing that you are using such ancient relics of a glorious past in unbeatable.

I simply suggest that, whatever regs you choose, you service them yourself. I would never leave another "technician" to mess with my regs!

I totally agree! That is exactly why I asked. I would much rather work on my own equipment than to send it off or even take it somewhere and have someone else's hands doing the work on my equipment, especially on the one that keeps me alive! Thanks a lot for your input, and for everyone else that has indicated the same in terms of self-servicing. It's a huge relief to hear it!

So I suggest that you also evaluate passing to the "dark side": classic vintage equipment, restored by yourself to top-notch performances

I also really like this idea for the future. Everything I know about "classic" and "vintage" equipment (especially old scubapro or even the Cyklon from Poseidon) makes it sound like these things, when properly maintenanced and tuned, can't be beat! For my first own regulator I think I'm going to go with the Xstream, but I see a Cyklon or two in my future as well, and maybe even some others too (as soon as I can afford to start a collection!).

@JCope3 sorry, been busy this weekend.

1. Poseidon allows you to take a service course to become a factory authorized technician. With that, you can buy parts directly from them. There are no restrictions on their parts availability to end-users though, so taking the course is only required to buy direct. About the comment about the class not including the Xstream second stage. The Xstream is essentially identical to the Jetstream. The guts have interchangeable components. There are two differences on the metal, the barrel length is shorter, and the needle has a plastic extension piece on it, that's it. If you can service one, you can service the other.

2. Tek 3's aren't the best for backmount. I haven't taken an MTX apart and won't for a while. I don't think that Apeks has the parts restrictions in the EU that they do in North America, but I do not believe you can become an authorized tech without being part of a dealer, so you have to find a dealer willing to sell parts to you or buy online somewhere.

For teaching. When teaching, I firmly believe in using the same rental gear that the students are using, especially for the pool sessions. We use identical gear to the students up until open water where we then use our personal gear. At the same time, the students are going from the schools gear to rental gear and that is a good time to teach and emphasize the important of equipment and buddy checks before the dive.

sorry, been busy this weekend.

No worries, I saw a few of your posts on other threads this weekend too, all related to this matter. I still really appreciate your input here as well!

1. Poseidon allows you to take a service course to become a factory authorized technician. With that, you can buy parts directly from them. There are no restrictions on their parts availability to end-users though, so taking the course is only required to buy direct. About the comment about the class not including the Xstream second stage. The Xstream is essentially identical to the Jetstream. The guts have interchangeable components. There are two differences on the metal, the barrel length is shorter, and the needle has a plastic extension piece on it, that's it. If you can service one, you can service the other.

It sounds to me like this is the way to go. I like the idea of learning to properly service equipment... my own as well as equipment in my current diving school (not a dive shop... all of our instructors have other full-time jobs, so it's all voluntary on their part, but they're excellent instructors, but we don't have our own technician currently).

For teaching. When teaching, I firmly believe in using the same rental gear that the students are using, especially for the pool sessions. We use identical gear to the students up until open water where we then use our personal gear. At the same time, the students are going from the schools gear to rental gear and that is a good time to teach and emphasize the important of equipment and buddy checks before the dive.

I 100% agree with that logic. We do the same, especially when it comes to the pool sessions. The students need to see us demonstrating on exactly the same types of equipment that they have. Then, as you said, in open water it's good that they see variations in setups to emphasize the importance of buddy checks and knowing your buddy's setup (where's the octo, ditchable weights, etc.) as well as showing them how useful it is to have one's own gear based on personal preference (long hose primary donation vs. short hose secondary donation, etc.).

Thanks again, man. This is exactly why I tagged you in the original post. I really appreciate your input and your point of view.

I just did what your doing. (I'm taking into to tech now).

The advice I got here matched the advice from my local tech divers...... apeks xtx50 with fifth port for better hose routing.

why not? and how do they do for sm?

the lack of a swivel turret means that when you donate a long hose you have a very real kink risk
lack of a bottom port means that the secondary regulator hose and wing inflator will always be bent at a 90* angle

The do equally poorly for sidemount. They're good for stage bottles though

the lack of a swivel turret means that when you donate a long hose you have a very real kink risk
lack of a bottom port means that the secondary regulator hose and wing inflator will always be bent at a 90* angle

The do equally poorly for sidemount. They're good for stage bottles though

hadn't realized there was no 5th port, those are off my list then, thanks

Back
Top Bottom