Anti-virus warning on Cynical 'Faux Tech' Marketing thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bleeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's probably a false positive, but anti-virus software doesn't want to let the thread Cynical 'Faux Tech' Marketing = Dive Industry Shame completely load here (AVG, Firefox and XP). Is anyone else having any problems, and did someone (maybe accidentally) post something nasty there? The thread loaded fine about five hours ago, and the problem hasn't shown up in any other threads yet.

Last edited:
You're right. My Avast went off when I went to it.

Same here when I tried to go to the second page - same setup as the O.P.

Julian
Something on page 2 huh? I have 50 threads per page so it pops right away. Are you on 20/page?

If anyone got infected, the free virus program at www.avast.com is great and should clean up your machine. System Restore is also a good tool built into Windows.

avast caught it on me, page 2,

It's starting to look like this may be a real virus. The anti-virus warning is regarding a scripting exploit. (AVG calls it something like the Liberty exploit 714.) It looks like at 1:41 pm EDT (1741 GMT), Blackwood quoted some stuff from the web site under discussion, and this quote may actually be a (partial) chunk of the malware triggering the warning.

I think we need a Mod or Admin to go and delete the contents of the quote. And maybe post a warning in both the "Cynical Faux Tech Marketing" thread as well as the "Eagle Z1 vs Zeagle" thread in the Zeagle manufacturer's forum that there are possibly signs that the web site under discussion may be sending out code triggering anti-virus software (the server may have been compromised) and that anyone who has visited that web site is recommended to do a good anti-virus and spyware scan of their computer. It's possible that the web site in question is completely innocent and this is just a false positive, but anti-virus defenses aren't perfect so I don't really want to risk my computer any further to diagnose the problem.

The same recommendation probably should be given to anyone that viewed the "Cynical Faux Tech Marketing" thread and DID NOT get a warning from their anti-virus software, although I'm not entirely sure that there was actually enough of the malware in the quote to be a problem.

Last edited:
Though an argument can be made that the website in question IS malicious, the code does not appear to be. It is non-standard in how it calls cookies to browsers. Probably the best way to avoid these kind of things is to browse only while on Linux. :D

I think bleeb is right and it's a false positive on that code segment. I'm not getting anything using Comodo.

So I've removed that code. Could everyone please re-check it and LMK here or via PM.

To the best of my knowledge, you can't get a virus through .vbulletin unless you d/l an attachment.

I've posted a mod warning in both the threads referenced to the potential threat, although nothing alerted for me when I checked the links.

I had no warning from either Avast or Microsoft Security.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom