Cynical 'Faux Tech' Marketing = Dive Industry Shame

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect that it's a Voit knife, given the other product placements. But Eagle Z1 would be glad to Photoshop it into their own.

Product placement didn't exist back then in the way it does now. The property master would simply go buy whatever. For instance even Bond's Rolex watch back in the day wasn't a placement deal, but merely a selection of the property department. (In contrast to the over-the-top Omega product placement that exists in today's Bond movies.)

When did product placement deals start? The first mention I remember of it was the Reeses Pieces in E.T.

Brand placement in movies go way back. We see liquor and cigarette brands; car models; gun makers; typewriter brands (shown in private eye flicks); electronics maker and music brands; clock maker brands; airplane brands shown at airport scenes; sports team names; and the most used: music from popular singers and bands of the time.

For instance even Bond's Rolex watch back in the day wasn't a placement deal, but merely a selection of the property department. (In contrast to the over-the-top Omega product placement that exists in today's Bond movies.)

Bond had a Rolex in the Fleming books...it's mentioned because he used it as an improvised knuckle-duster. He also drove a vintage Bentley.

When did product placement deals start? The first mention I remember of it was the Reeses Pieces in E.T.

An amazing example, in and of itself, right there.

M&M's turned down the initial offer.

Even though Reese's jumped in, the didn't arrange to get the product into the theater snack counters before the release of the film. Somebody was asleep at the switch.

It put Reese's Pieces on the map.

Bond had a Rolex in the Fleming books...it's mentioned because he used it as an improvised knuckle-duster. He also drove a vintage Bentley.

You are correct, of course. Though still a property department decision to keep with the original book; I simply meant that the use of a Rolex in the film was not "product placement" but rather a creative decision.

Certain parts of the British military did once get issued Rolex. Can't remember if that was why Bond was meant to have one or not. It was probably just part of the character.... although it does represent a certain stereo-type UK military officer.

You are correct, of course. Though still a property department decision to keep with the original book; I simply meant that the use of a Rolex in the film was not "product placement" but rather a creative decision.

Actually the story goes that they approached Rolex to supply one for Dr. No and they declined. Apparently buyng one wasn't in the budget and they wound (if you'll excuse the pun) up borrowing one from someone, possibly producer Albert Brocolli. Rolex then supplied for subsequent films so after that it was product placement

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom