Trip Report: Beqa Lagoon, Fiji, March 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefduffer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Executive Summary:
Beqa Lagoon Resort (BLR): Recommended with caveats about maintenance and travel.
The Dive Shop, Tucson AZ (Booking agent): Recommended.

Overview

My wife and I made our first dive trip to the western Pacific in March, a week at the Beqa Lagoon Resort in Fiji (pronounced "Benga"). Beqa Lagoon Resort This was pretty sudden by our habits; my sister's LDS in Tucson takes groups there once or twice a year for the past 12 or 15 years, dating back to previous resort ownership, and most recently in February. While we couldn't make that trip, my BIL listened to the stories from some friends that had been there in past years, and in January they just decided they were going in March, and asked if we wanted to go along.

We've mostly dived the Caribbean and Florida, and been talking about the Pacific for awhile, but never got organized to do it. Comments here on SB and elsewhere suggested that maybe Beqa wasn't even the best diving in Fiji, and there was better elsewhere in the Pacific, but this trip was either going to be Beqa or nothing, and we decided to go for it. We did 12 dives over 6 days, including the shark dives. All in all, a good week of diving, and no regrets at all that we went, but I think it's unlikely we'll be going back there. With the novelty gone, the diving would have to be more spectacular than it was to justify the cost, inconveniences, and travel hassle.

We let the LDS owner, Mark Rogers of The Dive Shop be our booking agent. Prices seemed the same as initial inquiries directly to BLR, and he got us a free upgrade to a beachfront bure. In exchange for whatever commission he got, we were able to use his experience with the resort, including just weeks earlier, to prepare. Friendly, helpful, no issues, and I'd be happy to use him for this again if he had experience with someplace we wanted to go.

We bought a week package including round-trip air from LAX, all transfers, meals, and five two-tank boat trips. There were some extras. Our bill was accurate, although we heard of a few minor discrepancies (wetsuit rental, internet) from some other guests. The resort is set up so no cash is used; everything not included is billed to the room. We had no need for Fiji currency, although a little might have been handy for the stop on the bus trip.

There is no pier or jetty, the dive boats are moored 50-100 yards offshore. There are two or three metal tenders with outboard motors that ferry everything and everyone from the beach to the boats. Max capacity 20 people with no gear. You will be in several inches of water getting in and out at the beach, including on arrival and departure at the resort, so plan footwear accordingly.

They asked in both the written FAQ and the orientation that we not tip individuals. Instead, they have a "Christmas fund" that we could give to that's shared equally by all dive, kitchen, service etc.. staff. We did the usual per-tank gratuity, added something for the other staff, converted to FJD, and had them add it to our bill, which we settled by credit card the morning of departure.

Diving

My computer logged all bottom temps as 82 degF except two at 84; my wife got all 82s. Visibility was mostly 40 feet with a couple of 50s and one 60, and one 30. The weather was mostly overcast, getting sunnier towards the end of the trip. We had a couple of rainy days earlier. I gather this is the end of the rainy season, but on the other hand, we had looked at information on Fiji water temperatures, which historically start dropping in April, so later would have meant even colder water temps. Hence the timing of out trip.

Beqa Lagoon lies inside a vaguely circular barrier reef about 15-18 miles in diameter. Beqa Island is 4-5 miles in diameter, at the east end of the lagoon, and about 8 miles south of the main island of Viti Levu. BLR is on the west side of the island. Most of our dives were within the lagoon a bit north of the island, but we went outside the reef on the east side to a site called Blue Wall, and one day did two dives at the west end of the lagoon, at sites called Three Sisters and Turtle Head. The shark dive is at the north end of the lagoon, about halfway to Viti Levu. Within the lagoon, most of the sites we dived are pinnacles topped with coral at 20 feet or so, rising above a coral rubble/ sandy bottom at 60 - 80 feet

The seas were mostly pretty flat, with a little chop one day.There was a noticeable but manageable current on almost every dive. To stay in one place required pointing into the current and doing a bit of finning. They almost always had a float line behind the boat. But all dives were moored, out and back, not drift dives. Well, except for one that turned into a drift dive when the mooring line broke.

We were hanging at the safety stop at a site called Gee's Rock when an old tire that was the mooring hitchpoint broke in half, and the boat started moving off at a pretty good pace, certainly faster than I could swim. My wife had been holding the line, and at first held on, to stay with the boat. She quickly realized it was pulling her above 10 feet, let go, and rejoined us. We, another diver, and the DM surfaced together, the DM put up his sausage, the boat spotted us, and we were picked up within 5 minutes. The DM's response and calmness was textbook perfect.

As our first trip to the western Pacific, the fish all seemed a little strange, and some very strange. A standout in terms of novelty for us were the Regal Angelfish, a slightly smaller and much shyer cousin to the angels we're familiar with. Vertical broad white and yellow stripes with thin black stripes between, and purple tail and fins. Very elegant.

The Anemone Fish were very pretty, some familiar orange clowns, but also some mostly white, black, and yellow. Something called an Oriental Sweetlips; we saw a pair on one dive, very striking yellow and black longitudinal stripes with a wide body maybe 14-16" long. And a Crown of Thorns Starfish about a foot across. Some of the most enjoyable fish watching was just hanging at the top of a pinnacle at the safety stop, watching the intense density of 2-4" fish darting in and among the coral, pinks and purples and black/white/yellow. Sometimes it seemed like a pack of monkeys chasing each other through the coral convolutions.

A few clams between one to two feet wide. An 6 foot whitetail shark sleeping on the bottom. A Blue Ribbon Eel, the visible part about 6" long, half an inch in diameter, translucent blue and yellow, very pretty, that the DM coaxed out of his hole. A few nudis. A couple of Lionfish, a Mantis shrimp about 6" long. Something called magic coral, a coral body maybe 18" wide that changed instantly from dull brown to all white when the DM touched one polyp with his finger. Some of the soft coral formations, for which Beqa is renowned, were quite impressive.

They asked us to do a checkout dive off the beach on Saturday afternoon after arrival, so we'd be all set with weights and gear Sunday morning. The entry was a fairly long walk to chest deep over some pretty nasty and uneven coral; we floated the gear out and put it on in the water. The visibility was horrible, maybe 10 feet. We managed to get in and do a 4-minute dive to 16 feet, and then my wife thumbed it as enough. My BIL cut his hand on some coral getting in and went back for first aid, and they never did the checkout. Other divers were similarly unimpressed. On exit, my wife found a lost camera in housing on the bottom, which we turned in.

The package included unlimited shore diving, but we were aware of only one guy who did any after the checkout, at high tide, and he had to go out solo. We later realized that it might have been a more sandy than coral entry 30 yards south of the spot in front of the dive shop, but that wasn't marked. And without 25 divers churning things up, and further out, maybe the vis would have been better. But with the vis issues and long swim out to where it might get deep, no one seemed very interested in more shore diving.

They offered a night dive one night, at extra cost. We'd brought lights, but it was the same day as the shark dives and the afternoon trip to the school, so we decided to skip it. Turned out one of the two boats that went out had an engine failure and had to be towed back by the other boat, so those folks had a very late dinner.

Shark Dive

On Tuesday they offered a shark dive trip, at extra cost. The shark dive is run by an operator called Aqua-Trek. The BLR boats took us there and BLR dive staff herded the guests; Aqua-Trek had a boat there and put on the show. This is supposed to be one of the big attractions of Beqa lagoon diving. I'm glad we did it, it was interesting and it would be a shame not to see it, but I probably don't need to do it again.

There were two adjacent sites for the two dives, similar, the first at 84 feet, the second at 60. There's a big rope stretched between two rocks a couple of feet off the bottom. They want all the guests low, holding on to the rope, one-deep, forming a stage. BLR staff is behind us with short shepherd crooks, keeping us low and behind the rope, and ready to deal with anyone who needs to bail out, or to poke a shark that was getting too close.

Aqua-Trek staff is 15-20 feet past the rope, with big plastic bins, say 2x2x4 feet, with fish scraps that they feed to the sharks. There were only half a dozen or so large sharks, and I'll make no attempt to ID species. There were at least a couple of hundred remoras, and they were already circling around up at the surface on entry. And maybe a thousand or more smaller fish, mostly vertical black stripes with a little yellow, perhaps Pacific Sergeant Majors. All just milling around looking for scraps and forming an almost solid mass of moving life, punctuated every 20 or 30 seconds by a 12-15 foot shark swimming across the stage 15 feet in front of us. The show was 15 minutes on the first dive and 27 on the second, just non-stop fish, so fast and close and wide it felt like too much to see.

BLR Dive operation

BLR has three dive boats. I'm not a boat person but they seemed rigged for about 20 divers each, tanks back to back in the middle, passages along both gunwales, and racks for more tanks to be swapped in forward. Enclosed bridge, working head, O2, first aid, VHF radio, and maybe GPS. Shade, either hard roof or canopy, and some open seating above the bridge. We never had more than 15 divers, and most of the week just 8 or 9. Crew was a captain and three DMs. There were always two DMs in the water, and sometimes all three. All dives were follow-the-leader, but groups were small.

There was a large group from Idaho that mostly stayed on two of the boats and ate together. The rest of us were usually on the third smaller boat, "C-Harley". On the first day, when some hadn't arrived, and the last day, when not everyone was diving, they only ran two boats, and we moved to "Reef Runner", slightly larger, but then more crowded. They also only ran two boats to the shark dive, but in that case they added several divers to C-Harley. But it worked out that we had the same three DMs all week, whatever boat we were on.

Each trip leaves nominally at 8:00 AM and returns in time to rinse and shower and get to lunch at 1:00, more or less. Two dives a little under an hour each , with a one hour SI between. Cookies, juice and water for the SI. The boat rides were mostly upwards of half an hour, with some about an hour. For the roll call check after each dive, they asked each diver to respond with their max depth and bottom time, and recorded that, something I hadn't encountered before. I like it for several reasons, and hope the practice becomes more widespread. Several people had to be shown how to retrieve that from their computers, and the staff seemed able to that in the cases I observed.

The BLR staff takes care of rinsing and basic setup for everything except wetsuit and cameras. They give you a large mesh bag with your dive number on it that holds everything except BC. They mark the BC with tape on the tankband. Weight pouches and loose weights go in a plastic crate. We would leave the bag and BC on the boat, the crew would rinse the gear, hang it in a locked cage overnight, and the bag would be under our first tank, with the BC and regs already mounted, the next morning. We would rinse our own wetsuits and hang them in the cage and retrieve them the next morning. They would also swap tanks for you between dives, unless you prefer to do it yourself.

There was plenty of time to check and tweak your setup on the ride out. The first day they set it up, my 5' long hose primary was dragging on the deck, and I called it to a couple of the DMs attention and showed them where to clip it off. The rest of the week it was clipped off. Sometimes on the wrong side, but off the deck. I was surprised that they were unfamiliar with the configuration. A couple of times I got a DM studying me as I geared up with the bungied backup and long hose etc., but they never asked about it.

All tanks we saw were al80s. All yoke valves. All fills were 2900+ psi with one 2700. They had a good selection of weights, including several 1 pounders, which I appreciated for distribution purposes. Entries are mostly giant stride from a swim step at the stern, but they said we could do back rolls over the gunwales, and many of the DMs did that. Midway on the second day, I realized I could skip the awkward walk with fins on, and the congestion at the stern, by just rolling off, drifting back to the tow line, and waiting for my wife, and I did that the rest of the trip.

Exits are up a single ladder. C-Harley had one of those open-side ladders you can climb in fins, but I didn't see anyone do that. Most divers would take off fins at the ladder and hand them up. Some also handed up weights, and even the entire scuba unit. Whatever help the divers asked for, the DMs provided. But they also didn't have a problem with me just climbing out with my fins on my wrists and walking my gear to my seat with my reg in my mouth.

The package includes 5 two-tank trips, nominally Sunday-Thursday. Since we don't fly until Saturday night, it's possible to dive Friday morning for an extra FJD $150. The once-a-week shark dive was FJD $250, or $100 as an upgrade to a day of the package. We dove Friday, so we paid for the shark dive as the extra day.

Nitrox is available; I understand this is only recently. They do partial pressure blending with O2 brought in from the main island, and it's pricey; FJD $30 (about USD $18) per tank surcharge. We thought that was a bit much for daily use, but Mark suggested that if we were going to use it at all, then the shark dives, which push the air no-deco limits a bit, would be the best use, and we did that. They clearly don't do a lot of nitrox; we had reserved it the day before but it wasn't on the boat when we got there, so they had to go back for it. There was an analyzer on the boat. Both my tanks were 34%, my wife's were 30 and 31. Just the way it worked out. I think there was one other couple using nitrox on our boat for the shark dive, none otherwise.

It turned out to be a bit of overkill; the first dive had a bottom at 84 feet between minutes 5 and 20 of a 38 minute dive, with stops at 40 for 3 minutes and the last 10 or so above 20. After a 1:07 SI, the second spent 27 minutes at 60 feet, with a similar slow ascent and extended stop. I don't have the software to compute N2 loading for the profile, but I don't think it was very close to deco for air. But we prefer to dive nitrox for the perceived fatigue mitigation when it's reasonably priced, so sticking a day of it in the middle of the trip, on the deepest profiles of the trip, was ok with us; I'd probably do it again.

They photocopied our C-cards when we brought them to the office, as requested, the day of arrival. I'm skeptical that anyone would have noticed if we hadn't, or if anyone checked to see if we'd shown them an EAN card when we requested nitrox for the shark dives a couple of days later. But perhaps I'm quite wrong; they did get the nitrox onto our bill correctly, so someone in the office was paying attention to the dive operation.

All the dive staff, and in fact all of the staff except the manager and his wife (Aussies, maybe) were Beqa natives. They only offer PADI OW instruction per the posted information, and I think the dive staff needs to go off-island for training. But they seemed completely competent. One of the DMs mentioned that he'd gone to DEMA in Orlando a couple of years ago, representing the resort, and had visited Disneyland. But he didn't go diving, and in 11 years, hasn't dived outside of Fiji. DM is a job, not a calling.

The most troublesome thing about the operation is the state of the boats, most notably the engines. I mentioned the night dive where one boat had to tow the other back. Another day we learned at lunch that one of the other boats had failed to start that morning and BLR had to hire a boat from somewhere else for the day, obviously with considerable delay. Our boat, C-Harley, failed to start one morning. The crew went at the starter motor and battery cables for 10-15 minutes, and they got it going. Twice, the outboard in the tender we were in failed to start, and we had to either move to a different tender, or get towed by a different tender.

Also, we had the sense that they run the boats at a slower than usual speed for a dive boat, possibly to conserve fuel and minimize stress on the engines, resulting in longer trips to the divesites, and on the trips to Pacific Harbor.

In discussing things with the manager at meals, they acknowledge that the resort needs some reinvestment, and particularly in the dive boats, but the owners don't seem currently inclined to make that investment. There's a general feeling, shared by most of our fellow guests in discussion, that they're cutting corners and milking the resource, and waiting for the fat times to come around again before putting any real money back into the facility. But we also understand that the bures have been recently remodeled, so maybe the dive boats are waiting their turn.

What we had worked, with some inconveniences. I'm not qualified to judge how far they are from breakdowns they can't handle.
They're less than 24 hours air freight from New Zealand or even the US, if some critical part needs replacement. Like the boat they had to rent for a day, maybe it's just a well-calculated balance of where to best use limited funds. I'm just passing on what I observed and was openly discussed among the guests, and attempting to minimize interpretation.

[ continued ... ]

Accommodations and Resort

We stayed in a private cabin or villa, called a bure ("bour-ay"). Considering where we were, I'd have to say that it was really pretty luxurious. The power is the resort's own diesel generators, there is no grid on Beqa, but it never went out. The air conditioning was more than adequate. While not really bright, the lighting was adequate except in the sink area. The hot water was fine for the most part, although after the morning dives, before lunch, when everyone was showering, it would start to get cool. The room was made up daily, and quite clean. Towels were replaced daily.

Tile floor. Plenty of closet and shelf space. An open dual sink, and a closed shower/toilet room. Nicely decorated and appointed. A king bed with nice linens. We had a private porch with a cool dipping pool, a small table and two chairs, and two pool recliners. A two-person hammock on the private lawn area, with sunset view. There was a private outdoor shower off a separate door, but it could only be reached by either walking through the sand outside or walking through the room, so we found no use for it. A small glass-top rattan coffee table and two rattan chairs, not really suitable for working on logbooks, and no other desk-like area with seating. The outside table was suitable, though.

There was a small refrigerator with minibar beer and bottled water. A small freezer but no ice tray or water pitcher. We repurposed the coffee cups for cold water, and after a few days they were replaced near the hot water pot. Associated with that, packets of tea and instant coffee. No hair dryer, but the info sheet said one could be borrowed from the office.

Power is Australia/ New Zealand standard, 240V 50 Hz with crowfoot plugs. We had only brought dual-voltage stuff and passive plug adapters. They cautioned against charging electronics in the room; and had a big transformer and conditioned power strip in the office, but we had no problems with a camera battery charger, a USB iPod charger, and a travel alarm clock. A minor issue is that there were no spare outlets near the bed; I had to unplug the reading light for the clock.

There is no key to the bure, just the way it is. There is a small key-operated safe, but it wasn't bolted down and I could literally carry it off, reasonably comfortably, tucked under one arm. Nothing went missing. You could lock yourself in at night if you wanted to.

There was WiFi in the "big bure" which housed the dining room and office, but not in the guest bures. The charge to use it was FJD $50 (about USD $30) for the week. Speed ranged from reasonable to bad-with-page-timeouts, but it mostly worked, and I just kept reminding myself of where we were and how unlikely it was to have it work as well as it did. It really was a pleasure to be able to check email and read the news, and not be out of touch for a week.

There was no TV, phone, or alarm clock in the bure. They offer a wakeup service, we asked for it the first morning, worried we might sleep through the alarm. It never happened and we didn't bother asking again. They clearly have phones in the office, and I've seen reports that cell phones work fine on the island, but we had no reason to try either. The resort is very nicely landscaped, both hardscape and foliage. There's a very nice pool area with sunset view next to the big bure.

Without any sort of pier, I don't know how they deal with delivery of large items like generators or kitchen equipment, or fuel delivery, it would actually be interesting to see that, but we didn't have the opportunity. Maybe specialized low-draft rafts?

All the guests were from the US except for a few Aussies and a couple of europeans.

The gift shop was very low on stock in sizes other than 2XL. Another hint that the saw isn't being sharpened ...

Food and Dining

The package includes three meals daily, at 7:00, 1:00, and 7:00. Timed well with the boats, and accommodation was made for late boats and the night dive. We had lunch on arrival and breakfast before departure. The dining room is covered but open and not air conditioned, although there are ceiling fans and a couple of big pedestal fans. Service is individual plates at large family style tables, and we ate with our diveboat companions. The manager or his wife joined us for meals a few times. Dress is casual; I didn't bring anything except a pair of cargo shorts, a few tee shirts, flipflops, and a ball cap, and I wasn't out of place.

Breakfast was a fruit (pineapple, watermelon, and papaya) and cold cereal buffet, and choice of omelette, eggs, or on alternate days pancakes or french toast. Coffee and iced tea was self-serve, and usually available between meals. At breakfast, the day's lunch and dinner menu is provided, laminated, looks like it's the same sequence every week. Each guest is given a slip of paper to select from the options for the day. In a couple of cases last-minute changes were accommodated.

Lunch was a choice of fish, some sort of chicken or red meat, and a vegetarian entree. Dinner was similar, plus a soup or appetizer, and either a dessert or fruit plate.

Food quality was mostly good and preparation was competent to excellent, and the food was mostly quite tasty. Portions were on the skimpy side by american standards, and there were no second helpings. While I'd say the protein and starch servings were reasonable I would have been feeling underfed if not for the pretty good rolls served with lunch and dinner. The biggest issue in my perception was lack of green vegetables; they were more like a garnish than a portion. And I was not the only one to make that same observation: inadequate veggies and salad.

Another complaint heard from several was that lunch needed at least a cookie or something for dessert.

There is a bar, all items charged to your room. The rooms all have mini-bars with beer, water, and snack items, at mini-bar prices. The gift shop also had some candy bars and snack items. I would recommend a stop in the grocery store down the street from Jack's halfway through the bus trip to pick up some crackers/ chips/ cookies etc for room snacks.

If you want alcohol and don't want to sit at the bar and/or pay by the drink, your best bet is the duty-free next to the luggage carousel on arrival at Nadi airport. You won't have a better chance. I found an unfamiliar 4-year-old "Double Aged" Australian rum named Bundaberg for my nightly cardiac health shot. Seemed right for a south Pacific island trip. Let's just say I wasn't sad to leave most of it in the room on departure.

Travel & Odds & Ends

The Air Pacific (soon to be renamed Fiji Air) flight departed LAX Thursday night at 10:30 PM, takes about 10 hours, and arrived at Nadi on the main island of Fiji at 5:15 AM on Saturday, having crossed the date line and being 5 hours earlier clock time (wrt PDT). Mark told to be checking in when they open the counter at 6:30 PM, which let us get preferred seats. There was already a line formed. They served us dinner and a light breakfast, which made me feel like I was in a Mad Men episode, I barely remember hot food on an airplane. They had pillows and blankets, nice because I was wearing shorts to save luggage weight.

The weight restrictions are real. 50 lbs checked with $5/kg excess charge is pretty standard, but the carryon is limited to 15 lbs, plus a purse or laptop bag, unweighed, that goes underseat. We think it's because the overhead bins are rated at 60 lbs, and you could get four smallish bags in there. We had gym-bag small duffels and they didn't even weigh them. But my sister and BIL had rolling carryons and they weighed those and made them repack. We think the roller carryons are their issue, so you can game it a little by putting some stuff in the personal bag or even on your body until through checkin, and by using a non-rolling carryon. But don't break the overhead bin!

The return trip departed Nadi Saturday at 10:30 PM and arrived LAX Saturday at 1:15 PM. A light snack and then a large hot breakfast a couple of hours before arrival. It's clear that the airline expects all passengers to sleep most of the trip each way, lights were dimmed, and everyone was asked to close window shades. The seats recline way more than on domestic US flights, enough to make using tray tables on the seat behind a problem, so all passengers were asked to un-recline them for mealtimes.

There's food at LAX Bradley international terminal before security, which we were asked to go through at 9:30. Panda Express, Sushi Boy, burgers, and a couple of similar. Nothing much but snacks past security. There's food at Nadi past security. At that point, we were beyond really caring, but it was OK. We had thought about eating at the dayroom hotel before taking the shuttle to the airport, but again wanted to check in early to get seat assignments.

All in all, the air travel wasn't bad for red-eye flights. They could improve the need for early checkins by allowing advanced seat selection, and I'd like more carrryon allowance, but it was OK.

The travel between Nadi and BLR is another story. There's a bus from Nadi airport to Pacific Harbor on the main island south shore. Then a couple of the BLR dive boats bring last week's guests and luggage to Pacific Harbor and return with the new guests. It's described in their FAQ sheet as a 2.5 hour bus ride and 45 minute boat ride. We collectively decided that "Fiji time" must be derated by about the currency exchange rate of 0.6, so an "hour" is about 100 minutes on a standard clock.

The bus was not air conditioned, and struggled going uphill, which there was a fair amount of, although both end points were at about sea level. But on the arrival trip it was early, and with the windows open, really not uncomfortable. We were met at Nadi airport by a rep of BLR, who collected us all (about 25 that trip, a few more came in later) loaded us and our luggage on the bus and a van, and set off with us, sometime a little before 7:00 AM. We got to BLR about 1:00, in time to find our bure and go to lunch and orientation. If you're counting, that's six hours after leaving the airport.

There was a stop about halfway in a town called Sigatoka at Jack's, a tourist souvenir / gift / tchochke shop with restrooms. Supposed to be for 30 minutes, we were there most of an hour.The guide made a big deal of telling us that Jacks would have free coffee and snacks for us. Turned out to be weak over-sweetened creamed coffee already poured in cups on a tray, and a couple of cookies, not enough of either to go around. My suggestion would be to ignore Jack's other than the restroom. Walk north (in the direction the bus is pointed) past the snack kiosk, across the first little alley with an appliance store on the far side, and another short block. On that corner is a fast food shop with a grocery in the back. They take credit cards. Get room snacks for the week. New Zealand packaged items mostly.

On our arrival at Pacific harbor, it's clear that the departing guests had been waiting awhile. We had our turn a week later. My wife made some notes about the return trip, here's the timeline:

- 5:00 AM: Wake and pack. We had dived the day before and needed overnight for gear to dry.
- 7:00 AM: Breakfast.
- 8:15 AM: Ready for transport home, per instructions. We were told the bus had been delayed leaving the airport, so we all waited in the big bure, reading, surfing, drinking coffee ...
- 9:00 AM: Board the boat. All the luggage is handled by BLR staff, including loading on the bus at Pacific Harbor.

- 10:15 AM: Arrive at the dock at Pacific Harbor. There is one bench for seating, maybe for eight. The other 15-20 of us stand around under the trees trying for shade; most eventually end up lying on the grass. Long enough to have to move to stay in the shade. There is a toilet, with a little paper (there was no paper on the arrival trip). No water to wash, or drink except what was carried from the resort.

- 11:30 AM: Leave for Nadi after the arriving guests are unloaded and we're loaded up. The bus still isn't air conditioned, and now it's midday. Still not too bad with the windows open and the bus moving, but the bus is very slow uphill, and it started raining fairly hard for a few minutes, requiring the windows be closed. Teeth are grinding, and not just mine.

- 1:10 PM: Arrive at Jack's in Sigatoka. The BLR "tour guide", for want of a better term, tells us we've got 30 minutes. We ignored Jack's, went north around the block to Market Street, found a hot bread bakery we saw on the arrival trip and got some rolls. In an alley near the market we got lunch at an Indian place, a meat pie and coffee, and some lamb curry. We race through that, don't really get to finish, and get back to the bus on schedule, including a bio break in Jack's.

The bakery and Indian restaurant weren't happy about US currency, they probably don't see much of it, but accepted it at 1-1 exchange rate. For the couple of dollars involved, we were fine with that. We skipped the farmers' market and handicrafts store my wife would have liked to tour if we'd known we had a few more minutes.

The tour guide wasn't around, and most of the guests are milling around, eating lunch at the kiosk in front of Jack's, or just waiting. After 10 minutes or so, everyone gets on the bus and waits, a few tell the driver to go and leave the guide behind, which is ignored. It's hot and humid. The guide finally comes down the street carrying a bag of takeaway food. One of the guests, with whom we had dived and shared meals with all week, a pleasant professional woman in her 50's or so, went high-order on the guide, getting off the bus and accosting him 20 yards or so up the street and yelling at him for his ill manners and lack of responsibility. It was startling after a laid-back week. He apologizes, and once underway, repeats his apologies individually to everyone on the bus. Personally I'd have been fine with an hour for lunch in Sigatoka, as long as we were told that up front.

- 2:05 PM: Leave Sigatoka. The tour guide says it will be 45 minutes to the dayroom hotel.

- 3:30 Arrive at hotel where we've reserved a dayroom through BLR.
- 3:45 Checked in. Shower, grab a very short nap, and change to fresh clothes.
- 5:45 PM: Checked out. The one continuously running free hotel shuttle bus to the airport left at 5:55.
- 6:00 PM: At Nadi airport. Checkin, seat assignment, security, dinner, wait.
- 9:30 PM: Boarding.
- 10:30 PM: Takeoff. Feels like we're in a scene from Argo.

The dayroom was just over FJD $100, about USD $60. We shared it with my sister and BIL, tipping the cleaning staff for a couple of extra towels. Worth it for the shower alone.

Culture / Non-diving

We did the trip to the local school Tuesday, bringing gifts of school supplies as we'd been coached to do. And the trip to the village on Wednesday. Women have to have their shoulders covered and wear a skirt or dress below the knees. Slacks are not ok; women aren't supposed to visibly have legs above the knee. But an ad-hoc wrap over slacks or shorts works. Seating is on the floor.

There are no roads on the part of the island we saw. Not just no paved roads; no wheeled vehicles except a very small tractor at the resort. But the village was paved with concrete sidewalk throughout. Construction was cinder block, galvanized roofing sheets, some lumber framing, plywood, cement, glass windows etc. Mostly electrified, but locally generated by diesel, and distribution was not to code. We walked about 20 minutes each way along sand paths near the water; north to the school, south to the village.

In the village we were introduced to the chief, and had numerous opportunities to buy some sad-looking native jewelry and tourist tchochkes, which I gather isn't even made on Beqa for the most part. There was some more of it at the school. I think they get it wholesale from wherever Jack's gets theirs.

The island of Beqa is unique in that the natives walk on fire; more accurately on near-red-hot rocks heated overnight in a fire. They staged a demo on the resort grounds one afternoon. Half a dozen post-adolescent or slightly older young men took turns standing on hot rocks for up to 10 seconds, toes elevated, extending their arms and proclaiming. Unique. Not much else to say.

We passed up the hike to the waterfall on Thursday. We were told later it was about 45 minutes each way and the footing was a little treacherous, and it was pretty but not special, so no regrets. A Kava ceremony and tasting (very dilute, we were told) after dinner one night. My wife went to a Fijian cooking demonstration one afternoon, and enjoyed seeing how coconut milk is made. Note that some people find it's a laxative. A show of Fijian dancing before dinner one night; one of our DMs was part of that. There was a BLR staff cultural attache' (my term) who was our guide for all of these events.

The manager's wife told us that by agreement with the local chief the resort hires only Beqa natives as staff. It makes for an interesting dynamic; the resort depends on the village and the chief's forbearance to keep operating. The village clearly depends on the resort as a major employer and the only significant source of money. We had only small insights into that relationship. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. Our major interaction was with our DMs; we got the sense of a confident ownership of the island, that we were welcome guests, but they are part of the island, and if the resort went away, they and the island would just carry on fishing and farming.

You can read about Fiji history elsewhere, but in a nutshell it's a former British colony, currently a military dictatorship. There's a big Indian population resulting from colonial worker importation, and the Indian / Indigenous conflicts are a big part of the current politics. Many of the businesses we saw in both Nadi and Sigatoka were Indian. My wife noticed a sign on a restaurant outside Sigatoka that said "Fiji native owned". We saw no Indians on Beqa.

Everyone we encountered spoke, read and wrote English just fine, although the dive staff mostly spoke Fijian among themselves.

Thank you for the detailed report. My LDS also does a trip there and pushes it as one of their favorite resorts based on accommodations. Your trip report has left me very well informed - thank you again for taking the time to post it.

Where do you guys think you will be off to next?

Where do you guys think you will be off to next?
Not booked yet, but probably our usual July week in Key Largo. Already talking about it as if we're going.

Probably the most comprehensive report on the website. Nice job and thanks for your time. BTW, our experience is that it always rains in Fiji so a different time may not have resulted in better weather. I can imagine that bus ride back. If it were on the way out, while I was still not acclimatized to humidity, it would have really have been a killer to me. Jack's is a well known, I guess chain, of shops in Fiji known for handicrafts and better prices. However, I also wonder about whether it's just shipped in from Taiwan. Other high quality dive areas in Fiji are Taveuni (an island off of the second large island), Bligh Waters in the north of Viti Levu, and Kadavu, a island to the south of Viti Levu.

Great write up, thanks

Naigani is a VERY high quality dive area as well. On Naigani you can do a village tour and the villagers have a small assortment of things for sale that are all made by them right there on the island.

An even better assortment of locally made hand made souvenirs is available at Blue Lagoon Beach resort but the diving there, although I loved it, is not generally considered to be up to the standards of Naigani and Taveuni. Kadavu was ok.....better than Bega but not as good as Naigani or Taveuni. At least in my experience.

By far the most detailed trip report I have ever had the pleasure to read. Thanks!

Great report, and I agree with CBM32 Naigani is a excellent choice for top quality dive spot within a 10-15 min boat ride. I was there this past Jan and we loved the island, staff, and diving. We will be back for more of a great time soon:)
The best diving experience we had was there and we dove 3 other locations as well. Nothing compared to the hospitality or dive locations with the wide array of life to see, calm sea, excellent visibility. I cant say enough good things about our experience at Naigani. Les was a great DM too. I hope he is still conducting dives there. Henry was a top notch too.

Wow! That was one of the best write ups that I ever recall reading in my 6 or so years of reading these. I appreciate your balanced but precise and detailed descriptions and what you've seen and experienced. I think you give enough information to allow most of us contemplating a trip to Beqa to make some decisions here. As for me, I'd love to dive some in the Pacific and am sure that I will in the not too distant future but after reading the logistics of getting to and back from this resort for me in Baltimore I just can't see myself pulling the trigger here. There is a conference next January that looks appealing and I could get most of the trip paid for through work but I can't see jumping through that many hoops for 10 dives. I think I will wait till I can pull off a 10 day liveaboard in the Pacific before making such an arduous journey. Thank you again Reefduffer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom