Fiji and coral bleaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarzana

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Good day all! I am considering a first time trip to Fiji with a friend at the beginning of June. We would like to stay in one dive resort/operation for a week then do about 3 days of land/cultural tours afterwards. So I have a couple of questions.

Can you recommend a resort that offers both very good diving and tours of their area? ( We like hiking if possible if not cultural tours.)

Also for those of you have recently been to Fiji, how have the corals been affected by the global heating of the Pacific?

Thanks ahead of time for your answers!

Was just in the Taveuni and Rainbow Reef area in the northeast, and there wasn't really any recent evidence of bleaching events. The reefs are still largely in very good shape, with many varieties of hard and soft corals and plentiful fish and invertebrate life. I'm sure there have been events in the past that have killed some coral, just like almost everywhere else in the world.

If you also want spend some time hiking I'd recommend Taveuni. There's mountain peaks and lakes up high with flowers and wildlife that only exist up there. Also lots of park area and waterfalls. I've been to Taveuni Dive Resort twice and would highly recommend it. Small 8 room resort with a great operation. The first time we went in 2022 I recall there were one or two people there who were just there for the hiking/nature and weren't even diving.

Was just in the Taveuni and Rainbow Reef area in the northeast, and there wasn't really any recent evidence of bleaching events. The reefs are still largely in very good shape, with many varieties of hard and soft corals and plentiful fish and invertebrate life. I'm sure there have been events in the past that have killed some coral, just like almost everywhere else in the world.

If you also want spend some time hiking I'd recommend Taveuni. There's mountain peaks and lakes up high with flowers and wildlife that only exist up there. Also lots of park area and waterfalls. I've been to Taveuni Dive Resort twice and would highly recommend it. Small 8 room resort with a great operation. The first time we went in 2022 I recall there were one or two people there who were just there for the hiking/nature and weren't even diving.
This sounds wonderful...We will look into this more for June! Thank you kindly for your answer!

Hey Tarzana. The coral diving in Fiji is in some of the best shape in the world. As the previous poster recommended, the Rainbow Reef area is certainly a very good option for coral diving. Another option which you may consider would be to go to the Pacific Harbour region. There is some great coral in the Beqa Lagoon as well, and if you're up for it, there is also the incredible Fiji Shark Dive. You can see up to 8 species of shark on a given dive. Pacific Harbour also has some other great activities. White water rafting, village tours, zip lining. All kinds of stuff. There's a few pretty reasonable resorts in the area as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom