Cost of dives in Fiji and advice – is it really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a 2-3 weeks trip to the Fijis in August 2024 and have been looking at the websites of a few resorts. All of them seem expensive, but what I found bit disturbing (and unusual at the very least) is that they do not specify how much diving costs (like a standard 2-tank dive), nor they have a "diving+stay" package (at least, they do not advertise them on their website). I'm asking myself why. Could anyone who's been there let me know what's the average cost of diving at resorts in Taveuni, Volivoli, Beqa/Pacific Harbour? (Of course, it is implied here that I intend to book the trip directly with the resorts rather than diving tour operators, which may offer such packages).

My budget is (relatively) limited and I have to carefully plan in order to understand whether I can make it or it's better to stick to other destinations that for a similar price would offer a great experience. I've been diving since 1995 all around the world, especially in Indonesia (remote world-class locations including multiple trips to R4,Banda Sea, Halmahera, Sulawesi, Komodo, etc.) as well as Australia, Palau, etc. I love sharks and big fish so I would rather opt for French Polynesia or Galapagos/Malpelo/Cocos island, but I also love soft corals and want to see Fiji at least once in my life. I'm from Europe and will be flying from SEAsia (Singapore does not seem to have many direct flights... any other options?).

I wanted to do a live aboard on Nai'a, which has fabulous ratings, but the cost is absolutely out of my budget—nearly 5000 euros for one week diving that from what I've read is comparable to R4 is way too much for me, and I'd rather spend it on a trip to French Polynesia, Galapagos, or some new destination in Indonesia (i.e. Triton Bay, which is however impossible to do in August).

Any suggestions for stay+dive options that are nice yet will not put me out of pocket would be much appreciated!

Realdiver

I'm planning a 2-3 weeks trip to the Fijis in August 2024 and have been looking at the websites of a few resorts. All of them seem expensive, but what I found bit disturbing (and unusual at the very least) is that they do not specify how much diving costs (like a standard 2-tank dive), nor they have a "diving+stay" package (at least, they do not advertise them on their website). I'm asking myself why. Could anyone who's been there let me know what's the average cost of diving at resorts in Taveuni, Volivoli, Beqa/Pacific Harbour? (Of course, it is implied here that I intend to book the trip directly with the resorts rather than diving tour operators, which may offer such packages).

My budget is (relatively) limited and I have to carefully plan in order to understand whether I can make it or it's better to stick to other destinations that for a similar price would offer a great experience. I've been diving since 1995 all around the world, especially in Indonesia (remote world-class locations including multiple trips to R4,Banda Sea, Halmahera, Sulawesi, Komodo, etc.) as well as Australia, Palau, etc. I love sharks and big fish so I would rather opt for French Polynesia or Galapagos/Malpelo/Cocos island, but I also love soft corals and want to see Fiji at least once in my life. I'm from Europe and will be flying from SEAsia (Singapore does not seem to have many direct flights... any other options?).

I wanted to do a live aboard on Nai'a, which has fabulous ratings, but the cost is absolutely out of my budget—nearly 5000 euros for one week diving that from what I've read is comparable to R4 is way too much for me, and I'd rather spend it on a trip to French Polynesia, Galapagos, or some new destination in Indonesia (i.e. Triton Bay, which is however impossible to do in August).

Any suggestions for stay+dive options that are nice yet will not put me out of pocket would be much appreciated!

Realdiver
I feel your frustration. When I was planning my March/April 2024 trip to Fiji, I couldn't find what I wanted from the various resorts' websites. I used Bluewater Dive Travel to help me put together exactly what I wanted. They are a dive travel agency here in the U.S. but have agents around the globe. Their website is very comprehensive and you'll find deals and packages on offer, and they will help you customize a package for your budget. The DEMA specials tend to be the best deals. The 2024 DEMA specials came out in November. They don't charge for their service and they don't charge credit card fees for individual bookings. If you have two weeks, you could go to Volivoli and Beqa (same island). Beqa is known for the shark dives but not so much the reefs. Three days is all you need there.

If you have three weeks, you can hit two islands and hop over (by plane) to Paradise Taveuni on Taveuni Island. Attached are their current specials. If you go to Taveuni, look to schedule your stay around the blooming of the Great White Wall. It only happens on certain days of the month.

Keep in mind that most of the resorts in Fiji are small and only have a limited number of rooms and they fill up fast, so early booking is recommended. I booked the 2024 trip in March of 2023 and I still had to move the dates around because of high occupancy.

Happy planning!

Attachments

• Paradise Taveuni 2024 DEMA Specials.pdf
    69.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Paradise Taveuni 3-week Special.pdf
    96 KB · Views: 73
I feel your frustration. When I was planning my March/April 2024 trip to Fiji, I couldn't find what I wanted from the various resorts' websites. I used Bluewater Dive Travel to help me put together exactly what I wanted. They are a dive travel agency here in the U.S. but have agents around the globe. Their website is very comprehensive and you'll find deals and packages on offer, and they will help you customize a package for your budget. The DEMA specials tend to be the best deals. The 2024 DEMA specials came out in November. They don't charge for their service and they don't charge credit card fees for individual bookings. If you have two weeks, you could go to Volivoli and Beqa (same island). Beqa is known for the shark dives but not so much the reefs. Three days is all you need there.

If you have three weeks, you can hit two islands and hop over (by plane) to Paradise Taveuni on Taveuni Island. Attached are their current specials. If you go to Taveuni, look to schedule your stay around the blooming of the Great White Wall. It only happens on certain days of the month.

Keep in mind that most of the resorts in Fiji are small and only have a limited number of rooms and they fill up fast, so early booking is recommended. I booked the 2024 trip in March of 2023 and I still had to move the dates around because of high occupancy.

Happy planning!
We are going that same trip in April! One week at each Beqa and Volivoli. I got individual prices on food and diving by reaching out to the resorts. They sent detailed price sheets for ala carte services but both resorts are offering 'all inclusive' with diving food and room for one price. We used tina @ divetrip.com for the ease of having an advisor as well as one place to process payment.

we are in Fiji staying on an island in 3 weeks time …we always dive ….but 425 fjd for two dives plus 35 for gear!!! my snorkel will be packed

Been to Taveuni Dive Resort twice, got back from the most recent one last week. They are all inclusive, selling you dive packages with your room/food based on the length of your stay, and you can also add on as many extra dives as you feel like doing beyond that. We did 32 dives over a 2 week stay (12 days of diving).

I believe the base price of the dives is around $160FJD per dive, and these are guided boat dives (2 every morning, 1 in afternoon if there's interest). I feel like this is very reasonable, as that translates to about $70 US per dive. If this were in the states just the tank rental alone would be $10-20, and then there's the divemasters (2 if there's 4 or more divers), captain, boat, fuel, etc... You might also be able to get a discount on extra dives if you pre-pay for them as part of your booking as opposed to getting them a la carte and paying when you check out.

I've done three trips to Fiji now and I've generally found it to be quite affordable compared to comparable resorts in places like the Caribbean, with much better diving on average. The expensive part is always getting there, at least from the US. For example, this past May we went to Huracan in Belize and excluding airfaire it ran around $3000 plus gratuity per person for a week and 16 dives, compared to our recent trip to Taveuni for 2 weeks and 32 dives for about $3700 per person. The Fiji trip had an off-peak season discount, but only about $1300 per person, so it still would've broken down to less per week/dive than Belize. At a waaaaay nicer resort as well.

Been to Taveuni Dive Resort twice, got back from the most recent one last week. They are all inclusive, selling you dive packages with your room/food based on the length of your stay, and you can also add on as many extra dives as you feel like doing beyond that. We did 32 dives over a 2 week stay (12 days of diving).

I believe the base price of the dives is around $160FJD per dive, and these are guided boat dives (2 every morning, 1 in afternoon if there's interest). I feel like this is very reasonable, as that translates to about $70 US per dive. If this were in the states just the tank rental alone would be $10-20, and then there's the divemasters (2 if there's 4 or more divers), captain, boat, fuel, etc... You might also be able to get a discount on extra dives if you pre-pay for them as part of your booking as opposed to getting them a la carte and paying when you check out.

I've done three trips to Fiji now and I've generally found it to be quite affordable compared to comparable resorts in places like the Caribbean, with much better diving on average. The expensive part is always getting there, at least from the US. For example, this past May we went to Huracan in Belize and excluding airfaire it ran around $3000 plus gratuity per person for a week and 16 dives, compared to our recent trip to Taveuni for 2 weeks and 32 dives for about $3700 per person. The Fiji trip had an off-peak season discount, but only about $1300 per person, so it still would've broken down to less per week/dive than Belize. At a waaaaay nicer resort as well.
as I mention.. $425 for two dives and extra for nitrox and gear hire…yeh nah

as I mention.. $425 for two dives and extra for nitrox and gear hire…yeh nah

It's more like $380 all in including gear hire and nitrox, but I feel like the main issue is the difference in exchange rates to FJD. USD gets almost twice what NZD does per dollar, so it feels much less expensive.

skip beqa area imo. voli voli doesn't advertise a package, but if you email, they can quote you room/board together with a set number of boat dives. daku over on savusavu is another option if you want to dive with the JMC team to namena and don't mind a more modest resort.

skip beqa area imo. voli voli doesn't advertise a package, but if you email, they can quote you room/board together with a set number of boat dives. daku over on savusavu is another option if you want to dive with the JMC team to namena and don't mind a more modest resort.
Why skip Beqa area? I'm headed there in April for my first trip to Fiji.

coral isn't as good as taveuni or namena/bligh waters. the main attraction is the shark feed dive, but that has a separate set of issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom