Anywhere beat Raja Ampat ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived R4 twice and had numerous trips to Bali, Komodo ( twice / two liveaboards) Manado / Bunaken, Lembeh, is there anywhere else which can compare to R4 Kri Island ? I had dived all over Indonesia( Bali, Sulawesi, Manado, Bunaken,R4, Thailand ( unimpressed ) Sipidan, literally all over the Philippines, Palau x2, French Polynesia, Fiji, Mozambique, Galapagos, South Africa, Australia, Honduras, Belize, Mexico.
I would be going in August.
Thanks in advance

Truk Lagoon, Scapa Flow if you like wrecks.
Cocos Island in Costa Rica.
PNG.

Second vote for Truk/Chuck Lagoon (assuming you like wreck diving). This would probably be my 2nd or 3rd favorite place to dive and I have been to most the places you have listed as well. It is a must do in your lifetime place to dive. No exaggeration I put this just below Raja, but obviously a completely different kind of diving experience.

Also in that region is Bikini Atoll. Have not done this one and its on the list for next year hopefully, but I have some friends that went earlier this year and they said it was mind-blowing!!

Truck/Chuck is unlike anything you have ever dove be for, the shear size of the wrecks and the amount is just mind-blowing. You could seriously spend months there just is awe not to mention the history of the area.

Another option is liveaboard. I’ll be there in January 2025 on White Manta from Sorong to Kaimana, diving in Misool, Fak Fak & Triton Bay. Unfortunately my trip is already full.
There are some spots available in January-February 2024, however. Just check them out, on their website: White Manta Diving - Schedules & Rates for New White Manta
@Dan which out of out of the White/Blue Manta schedules for the Banda Sea would you recommend?
I dived Banda-Ambon many years ago and am keen to return on a LOB this time...

From Australia Manus Is and PNG are much more straightforward to visit vs West Papua and R4 etc.
Big fan of PNG diving after three trips, hope a couple of the local LOB operators recover in 2024.

I've dove at Kavieng, PNG twice via liveaboard and its quite mind blowing as well.

@Dan which out of out of the White/Blue Manta schedules for the Banda Sea would you recommend?
I recently did an Alor to Ambon on the Blue Manta in September. If you're keen on seeing large schools of hammerheads, the best time would be September to October.

I recently did an Alor to Ambon on the Blue Manta in September. If you're keen on seeing large schools of hammerheads, the best time would be September to October.

I did the same as @acidrush did and had a great time. White Manta is a newer & improved version of Blue Manta.

I had only been on White Manta once, going to Sangalaki in August 2022. Plan to be on it for 2nd time in January 2025 going to Misool -Fak Fak - Triton Bay.

I’ll be on Blue Manta for 2nd time going to Raja Ampat in February 2024, which would be my 10th trip to Raja Ampat.

Here are some of my Banda Sea trip videos:

I did the same as @acidrush did and had a great time. White Manta is a newer & improved version of Blue Manta.

I had only been on White Manta once, going to Sangalaki in August 2022. Plan to be on it for 2nd time in January 2025 going to Misool -Fak Fak - Triton Bay.

I’ll be on Blue Manta for 2nd time going to Raja Ampat in February 2024, which would be my 10th trip to Raja Ampat.

Here are some of my Banda Sea trip videos:

The Blue Manta and White Manta have different hull designs. The White Manta is more streamlined and therefore uses less fuel, hence the cheaper price of trips. The down side is it rolls more in heavy seas compared to the Blue Manta which is much more stable.

Reactions: Dan
This is a little off topic.
Dan.
When you do these trips [and you do a lot, I am green with envy] , what gear do you take ?
If you have the time [and the inclination] I would love to see a photo of your dive travel kit, BC, regulators, exposure suits, fins that sort of stuff.
I am always pushing the limits when it comes to weight with dive gear when I travel to some places, such as 16kg plus 2kg carry on on a light plane [Cessna Caravan] with 6 other divers one trip and 22kg max another [can't remember the aircraft, twin prop job].
My SCUBA gear was 14.7kg alone, mind you I did have to take a 5mm and booties for this trip.
Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom