Trip Report NAI'A liveaboard, November 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay, forgive the slow response. Lucky daughter and smart parents. You were early on the Nai'a! We stayed on both ends at First Landing Resort, firstlandingresort.com, which is about midway between the Nadi airport and the port at Lautoka, where Nai'a berths. First Landing is not close to anything except large storage tanks, but that doesn't impinge on the experience. Our booking was through Backscatter, and they arranged for First Landing the night before we embarked and a day room upon return, since the flights home are not until late evening. The resort has a variet of accommodations--we were told that many of them are privately owned--and it is clean, has a good open-air restaurant, and a seemingly-good gift shop. Oh, and an exscellent, large pool. A plated breakfast was included; there is also the usual cold buffet. We had a garden view room the first night, with a great outdoor shower; the second room was oceanfront, but a bit down around the heels. As you know, it goes without saying that the Fijian staff is the real strength of the place--uniformly friendly, capable, and fun to talk to. I didn't research other possibilities since the arrangements were being made for us, but I don't have any hesitation in recommending First Landing.

We stayed at First Landing, too, though we booked the trip ourselves, not through an agent.

I expect NAI'A steers folks that way so they don't have to herd any more cats than necessary. We were picked up as a group and bussed to the boat, and back to First Landing afterward. A couple of folks had earlier flights and the bus took them to the airport after dropping the First Landing folks at the resort.

As an amusing (as it turned out) aside, we ran into a solo-traveling woman at First Landing who we'd dived with at Volivoli. She was recently retired, and at the end of a trip which included the Great Barrier Reef and, I believe, Raja Ampat. We boarded the boat late the afternoon of departure, and immediately had left port to do our checkout dives. Once the mammoth mountain of luggage was distributed to the cabins, dive deck, and camera room, there was one lonesome suitcase left in the salon. Yep--it was hers. NIA'A's cruise directors hustled big-time, and she was reunited with it in time for her evening flight. We haven't talked to her since, but fortunately, she was calm and good-humored, so I assume she views it at as entertaining coda to her grand tour.

I found First Landing from looking at Google Maps for a nice place to stay for a couple of nights before the liveaboard that was between Lautoka and Nadi, and it got good reviews.

I've not had any interest so far in a Caribbean liveaboard, especially when I see them parked for a few days off an island we're staying on. Here, though, the boat gives a very different experience. First, the dive sites are a considerable distance from the resort, and so it's well over an hour roundtrip. Jbclj's Volivoli trip report from a few months back underscores the concern--only a few days when the boats could make it out to the best sites. Aboard NAI'A, all sites are a few minutes away. Second, NAI'A, in particular, is a big part of diving history in Fiji; the owner discovered many of the sites on the itinerary, including a lot of those dived from resorts. Third, there are considerable differences in the areas. The Bligh Waters are spectacular, but very different from, e.g., Nigali Pass off Gau Island (reef mantas, sharkier waters, bigger barracuda schools). When we embarked, the cruise director said, "when you're not diving, you're eating. When you're not eating, you're diving." While the combination of resort and boat was fabulous, the boat wins on points here.

I'd say we dealt with significant current on maybe 20% of the dives; however, the floor is pretty routinely 65-90', and of course it's hard to tell what conditions are going to be at depth. We had maybe five dives where the current was of the let-go-and-enjoy-the-ride variety, which were great because when you surfaced, the RIB was no more than a couple of minutes away.

Reef hooks (and DSMBs) are required (or maybe the reef hooks are only recommended). We did not use either, but often used a (steel) muck stick to hold position, by finding a good hole to stick it several inches into. We saw a couple of aluminum pointers which were bent into nice arcs, but the steel ones are strong enough to provide a solid hold.

A lot of the divers didn't do negative entries because they hung around the stern of the RIB to collect their cameras, while some of us rolled in with the cameras and went straight down; but either way, everyone rolled in at the same time, on the RIB skippers' count. I enjoyed not having to circle up on the surface.

Good

In general, everyone met at the bottom and then either followed the guide or went their way. (One guy, an exquisite photographer, went his own way on a number of dives.) The dives were well-briefed, and imagine trying to herd a eight or 10 underwater photographers in one gaggle! But we did hear a number of comments about groups including people with 10-20 dives, or who hadn't dived for years, requiring more supervision.

There was a handful of sites where we were directed to stay behind the guide so she or he could make decisions based on the conditions, and the briefings on these were excellent.

As to the number of guides? Two skiffs, one guide for each. Many sites have multiple attractions, and the skiffs would alternate; where that wasn't in the cards, one skiff would hold back for a few minutes to let the first group get a head start. I think we ran into the other group two or three times.

I agree, it's not completely comfortable. On NAI'A, we talked to the cruise directors and got a general idea of what they hoped we'd do, which was 5-10% (the 10-day itineraries are $6500 per person). Others did less, and some may have done more. At Volivoli and First Landing, I went with what folks here have said over the years; however, I don't remember what we left in the box there, but I think it was about $50 FJD per day; the exchange rate was approximately one FJD to two USD. (By the way--the box is locked, and we were told that after a litter of divers leaves, the box is given to the Captain, who transfers the contents to a shore-based repository until the end of the year, when every member of the crew and staff receives an equal share of what came in.)

We really liked having the resort week to bubble the cobwebs away, get accustomed to the conditions, get the cameras in shape, and support the local economy. As between the two--setting aside cost and human factors, NAI'A is the clear winner diving-wise. If I were traveling with a snorkeler or youngster, as I know you sometimes do, the resort certainly is a more attractive option. Similarly, for less experienced divers, the resort experience includes more dive guides and giant-stride-off-the-transom boats. (I didn't mention in the Volivoli review; while the house reef at Volivoli wasn't appealing, many non-divers or day-off-divers were taken 10-30 minutes from the resort by boat for snorkeling, and everyone we talked to raved about what they saw--we were a little jealous.)

First, the travel. CVG to DFW, to LAX, to NAD. Because Fiji Airways is a codeshare for American, we checked our bags at CVG and picked them up on the belt in Fiji about 19 hours later. It has to be the easiest logistics of any of the major dive destinations. (I'm working right now on logistics to PNG, where we are headed in May (Walindi, followed by M//V Oceania). Much more complicated, and a much longer trip.)

We've yet to dive anywhere else in Oceania except for Heron Island on the Great Barrier Reef, in 2012. We did meet several people on this trip who had done liveaboards on the GBR, and they liked the experience. As to preferring Fiji over other Coral Triangle-ish destinations? When we made the plans, I reasoned that while Fiji wasn't R4 or PNG, it was a great place to start because even if the diving wasn't the best, the travel was the easiest. Plus, NAI'I's reputation was very appealing, and the availability of two spots on the boat tipped the balance for us. As it turned out, the diving was outstanding; if PNG or Raja are even better, all to the good. (I should note that my partner saw two pygmy seahorses, which she continues to lord over me).

Ahh, the Covid. An obviously-imperfect procedure, at best. As requested, we did the tests on the morning of embarkation and emailed a picture of the tests, with our First Landing key, to NAI'A's base. Given that people had come in from, at least, Texas, Vancouver, California (north and south), Colorado, and Ohio, that test obviously doesn't mean much. As far as what would've happened if we'd tested positive . . . I don't know, but I suspect my trip report would have reported a longer stay at First Landing.

As always, Dr. Rich, excellent and thoughtful questions. Thanks for taking the time. I hope you enjoy the pictures!

--Rick
Hey Rick

Did you see mantas and sharks? I’ve been to Soccoro but looking for a warmer dive. Thanks

We did, Linda. Here’s a link to some pictures; although I’m not much of a videographer, there are videos about halfway down of both mantas and sharks. Also, many of the 10-day trips, anyway, encounter pilot whales. We were napping . . . 🙄🤦 NAI’A’s websites has really great trip-by-trip reports from the cruise directors which give fish-by-fish accounts.

We did, Linda. Here’s a link to some pictures; although I’m not much of a videographer, there are videos about halfway down of both mantas and sharks. Also, many of the 10-day trips, anyway, encounter pilot whales. We were napping . . . 🙄🤦 NAI’A’s websites has really great trip-by-trip reports from the cruise directors which give fish-by-fish accounts.

Thanks! I’d say it’s hard to take a bad picture in Fiji’s reefs, but I have a good many to show otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom