Traveling to Fiji in 2024 and have questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwatr

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The wife and I are traveling to Fiji in April of 2024 to go on a live aboard trip out of Lautoka with NAI. We are planning on getting in a few days early and staying at a local hotel and enjoying the area before we get on the live aboard. We would also like to do the shark dive with Beqa Adventures. We are thinking of staying at First Landing for the few days and then try and get a day room for the day we return until we fly out. Does anyone have recommendations of a better place to stay or thoughts on First Landing? Also any recommendations of getting from First Landing to Beqa Dive Adventures to do the shark dive? I read that it's a long drive, but it's all we would do that day, so renting a car is an option unless there is transportation some one can recommend.

TIA

My wife and I and a friend all stayed at First Landing the night before our departure on the NAI'A out of Lautoka. It was a great place to de-jet lag.

First Landing is perfectly nice as a day room on the return, but I would recommend considering the Fiji Orchard for a few days stay prior to boarding Nai'a. It is a lovely property, much more secluded with beautiful accommodation and grounds. For transport to Pacific Harbour for the shark dives, the folks at Nai'a or the shark dive op should be able to help recommend private local transport companies. That is what I did for transportation between Pac Harbour and Nadi/Lautoka area (sorry, can't remember the names of the companies). Fiji Orchard: Home - The Fiji Orchid

We went to Volivoli for a week before NAI’A, then spent the night at FL where I think all of the Nai’a guests collected, mostly the next day. A bus picked up the guests and the mountain of gear around 4p (a little late) and transported to Lautoka, about 35-45 minutes. After the boat (which is fantastic), the bus will drop at FL or the airport , maybe elsewhere too. We spent an extra night at FL, which as sharkbear said is ok (clean, excellent pool and good food), but wouldn’t recommend for more than that (no diving, plus it’s in the middle of nowhere). It’s a bit down at the heels, but the staff is lovely (Fijians, after all), and it’s on the water.

All that said, we had an excellent week-long stay at Volivoli, with great diving, good food, and lovely surroundings. A nice drive from the airport, about 2.5 hours we think, and a few day-boat dive days to tune things up before the NAI’A, might be an alternative worth considering.

We found First Landing by looking at Google Maps for a place that was closer to Lautoka than Nadi, to make for a shorter pickup the next day. We didn't care whether it was an upscale resort or guesthouse or whatever--just wanted a comfortable bed, which it definitely was.

I've stayed at First Landing several times and always had a good experience. As in very nice staff, rooms were good and food was good. I've never went diving from there, I've always stayed on the way to another experience or going home. Lots of Australians (I assume) went there and rugby matches on. Got a great massage there once by who had to be the strongest small woman in the world. I think she could pick me up just by the achilles.

There is a harbor literally right next door, but we had to take a short drive to meet the Nai'a a short distance away. Nai'a was fantastic as well. Had a great time. There was some real open ocean diving with them sometimes but felt safe with them and would go again in a heartbeat.

they are running a bull shark feed dive in the yasawas near barefoot kuata too. about 2 hour ferry ride from denarau on the yasawa flyer. the ferry timing doesn't quite match up to make it a day trip i think though.

Worth having a look at Coral Coast Divers as well. They also offer shark diving in the Beqa Lagoon, and have a shallower dive at only about 18-20 meters, meaning you get to stay longer. They also are the most likely to experience the tiger sharks. Their site is closer to the mouth of the Beqa Lagoon. The tigers generally come in for the second dive from the deep blue after getting the scent of the bin box.

Back
Top Bottom