Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe not. Maybe they were just after some patents or talent seabear had. They may not have been interested particularly in seabear's manufacturing facilities. In which case, they take what they want. Eliminate the relatively unknown seabear name, and finally update the older scubapro computer lines with something new.

True. It is certainly possible. But, from what I've heard via insider channels, it sounds like SP definitely intended to release the H3 as a re-badged product of their own. That makes me doubt they were just interested in patents and/or talent. I guess in the end it comes down to how much they paid. If they paid chump change, maybe the patents and/or talent still makes it a good value.

For what it's worth, in speaking to my friend in SE FL, dive operation owner and Platinum Scubapro dealer, he mentioned that the major defect rate may approach one third of the H3s. He was not optimistic that the Scubapro model would be available by the fall of 2017, a date that has been mentioned.
Which also supports the idea that the issues are more design related than they are manufacturing quality.

Only JO and SubGravity know the precise figures and you can make a sure bet they are not going to release them.

For what it's worth, the summary of my personal experience (detailed before): First H3 failed within the first week of service with a dislodged touch sensor and one of the screws broke in half. Second H3 - screw fell off during first week of service. Third H3 was DOA with defective LCD. Never got to fourth H3 as SubGravity ran out of replacement units, and I ended up waiting for 5 months to have JO set up the replacement program. Maybe I was just unlucky!

Another bit of info that may mean something or nothing at all... I was one of the first to submit my claim for getting H3 replaced with M2. The claim number I received by the automated system was #26 or such. Thus, I can guess there were at least 20 other replacement claims already filed. Anybody care to guess how many H3-s were sold in the USA by SubGravity and how many claims did JO receive?

Don't take me wrong - I don't think that SeaBear is the worst company ever. I just think that they should seriously clean up their act, if they are to try to go against Shearwater once again. And I hope they are so busy working on it that they don't have time to communicate.

Wow. That's a serious return rate. This was a really exp
True. It is certainly possible. But, from what I've heard via insider channels, it sounds like SP definitely intended to release the H3 as a re-badged product of their own. That makes me doubt they were just interested in patents and/or talent. I guess in the end it comes down to how much they paid. If they paid chump change, maybe the patents and/or talent still makes it a good value.

Most acquisitions turn out to be flops. I worked as a technology consultant to a PE firm and saw my fair share of those. I seriously doubt that this was an IP related buyout. SP just needed a quick way to update their old computer line. Flop.

Wow. That's a serious return rate.

Keep in mind that was anecdotal, third hand, from one shop owner.

Most acquisitions turn out to be flops. I worked as a technology consultant to a PE firm and saw my fair share of those. I seriously doubt that this was an IP related buyout. SP just needed a quick way to update their old computer line. Flop.

That was my assessment as well. I was just trying to be open-minded since I don't actually KNOW. :)

Sucks for those who have had problems.

My wife and I are loving our H3's and the smaller size.

Lucky devil! :narcosis:

im just getting a galleo and transmitter ! its not what i want but il sell it ! and get a Ratio!

im just getting a galleo and transmitter ! its not what i want but il sell it ! and get a Ratio!

I thought the choice was a M2 with transmitter or a Galileo without transmitter?

I thought the choice was a M2 with transmitter or a Galileo without transmitter?

Is this an official Scubapro offer? I've never heard of it except for her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom