Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To get to a point where i got Scubapro to swap my busted H3 to a scubapro reg took 6 months of sending annoying emails to Johnson Outdoors

Did SP replace your H3 with a regulator? What kind of reg? Not a bad swap if you got say...a Carbon Black A700Tech with an EVO Mk25.

Last edited:
Well, he has a point. The product design is all right. It's really the manufacturing quality which is lacking.

Things like brittle screws are not manufacturing issues, they are design issues. Material selection and qualification is design.

If I had wanted a scubapro computer that didn't suit my diving requirements , why would I have bought a Seabear in the first place , other than it being a complete waste of time ? To get to a point where i got Scubapro to swap my busted H3 to a scubapro reg took 6 months of sending annoying emails to Johnson Outdoors . H3 owners in the US might have more luck , but if you live in Australia - forget it. Fortunately I also own two Shearwaters .

Again, what do you want to them to do that they are able to do? They could have said wait until we fix the issues or said to go and !#@$ since you didn't buy it from them. They gave you the best that they have at this point.

You seem to have gotten a really good deal and they appear to have taken care of you as best as circumstances allow. I don't know what your problem is except that you seem of the type that is never happy or satisfied.

Last edited:
Are you a Johnson Outdoor's shareholder ?

Just because others aren't as rude and obnoxious and never satisfied as you very clearly appear to be, it doesn't mean that they have direct investment or conflict of interest you appear to try to discredit others with opposing opinion from yours.

Things like brittle screws are not manufacturing issues, they are design issues. Material selection and qualification is design.

I'm not a H3 supporter, however.

I doubt wherther components like screws on something like this, are either designed or manufacturers by Seabear. They will have selected an appropriate size item that meets their specs (salt water immersion etc) and chosen from a catalogue.

I would suggest the third party supplier if they even manufacture the component has suffered batch issues from bad quality material. These are commercial grade so they won't have batch trace-ability as you would in aerospace.

In this case I have some sympathy with the manufacturer of the computer

I'm not a H3 supporter, however.

I doubt wherther components like screws on something like this, are either designed or manufacturers by Seabear. They will have selected an appropriate size item that meets their specs (salt water immersion etc) and chosen from a catalogue.

I would suggest the third party supplier if they even manufacture the component has suffered batch issues from bad quality material. These are commercial grade so they won't have batch trace-ability as you would in aerospace.

In this case I have some sympathy with the manufacturer of the computer

Anyone know what the real failure rate is? Yes, we are going to hear a lot of moaning from peepz on SB that have a bad screw issue. I wonder how many failures they (Seabear) actually had.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the real failure rate is?
Only JO and SubGravity know the precise figures and you can make a sure bet they are not going to release them.

For what it's worth, the summary of my personal experience (detailed before): First H3 failed within the first week of service with a dislodged touch sensor and one of the screws broke in half. Second H3 - screw fell off during first week of service. Third H3 was DOA with defective LCD. Never got to fourth H3 as SubGravity ran out of replacement units, and I ended up waiting for 5 months to have JO set up the replacement program. Maybe I was just unlucky!

Another bit of info that may mean something or nothing at all... I was one of the first to submit my claim for getting H3 replaced with M2. The claim number I received by the automated system was #26 or such. Thus, I can guess there were at least 20 other replacement claims already filed. Anybody care to guess how many H3-s were sold in the USA by SubGravity and how many claims did JO receive?

Don't take me wrong - I don't think that SeaBear is the worst company ever. I just think that they should seriously clean up their act, if they are to try to go against Shearwater once again. And I hope they are so busy working on it that they don't have time to communicate.

Anyone know what the real failure rate is? Yes, we are going to hear a lot of moaning from peepz on SB that have a bad screw issue. I wonder how many failures they (Seabear) actually had.

For what it's worth, in speaking to my friend in SE FL, dive operation owner and Platinum Scubapro dealer, he mentioned that the major defect rate may approach one third of the H3s. He was not optimistic that the Scubapro model would be available by the fall of 2017, a date that has been mentioned.

For what it's worth, in speaking to my friend in SE FL, dive operation owner and Platinum Scubapro dealer, he mentioned that the major defect rate may approach one third of the H3s. He was not optimistic that the Scubapro model would be available by the fall of 2017, a date that has been mentioned.

Wow! That would represent an EPIC (EPIC!!!) failure. Epic on its own as a failure of SeaBear's. But, EPIC because if the quality is that bad, ScubaPro/Johnson Outdoors also had an epic failure of due diligence when they completed the acquisition of SeaBear.

This part of the discussion makes me feel better and better about my purchase. Not the H3 itself - I couldn't be happier with mine, really. No, this makes me more happy with my choice of who to buy it from. My retailer has an unlimited return policy. If my H3 ever dies and I can't get it fixed or get a suitable replacement, I always have the last resort of returning it to the place I bought it from for a full refund (in the form of store credit - and they also sell Shearwater). Like I said before, I think I'll be just fine.

Wow! That would represent an EPIC (EPIC!!!) failure. Epic on its own as a failure of SeaBear's. But, EPIC because if the quality is that bad, ScubaPro/Johnson Outdoors also had an epic failure of due diligence when they completed the acquisition of SeaBear.

This part of the discussion makes me feel better and better about my purchase. Not the H3 itself - I couldn't be happier with mine, really. No, this makes me more happy with my choice of who to buy it from. My retailer has an unlimited return policy. If my H3 ever dies and I can't get it fixed or get a suitable replacement, I always have the last resort of returning it to the place I bought it from for a full refund (in the form of store credit - and they also sell Shearwater). Like I said before, I think I'll be just fine.
Maybe not. Maybe they were just after some patents or talent seabear had. They may not have been interested particularly in seabear's manufacturing facilities. In which case, they take what they want. Eliminate the relatively unknown seabear name, and finally update the older scubapro computer lines with something new.

Back
Top Bottom