Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, why buy twice? Second, can you identify the specific feature(s) the T1 has that the Petrel doesn't and how you think they'll enhance your CCR diving?

Sounds of silence?

I'm a big fan of someone doing AI right (so far no one has)- but really- I'd love to hear where there has been improvement.

The only thing that jumped out at me was the OLED vs LCD issue, and I prefer my Petrel's modern LCD to my Predator controller's OLED. Others break the other way, but the fact is that OLED is no longer the undisputed pinnacle of brightness and clarity in any viz. I will say that if one wants a tiny computer, the H3 looks really neat. But that's not my thing.

I'm also curious if the T1's 8 gas option is across the board or 8 for each OC and CC. Obviously the Petrel has "only" 5, but they can be edited at any time on a dive and there are 5 for OC and a separate 5 for CC.

Sounds of silence?

I'm a big fan of someone doing AI right (so far no one has)- but really- I'd love to hear where there has been improvement.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but what details can you give on what's wrong with the AI in the Oceanic Atom 3.0/3.1? I'd like to know what to look out for.

The only thing that jumped out at me was the OLED vs LCD issue, and I prefer my Petrel's modern LCD to my Predator controller's OLED. Others break the other way, but the fact is that OLED is no longer the undisputed pinnacle of brightness and clarity in any viz. I will say that if one wants a tiny computer, the H3 looks really neat. But that's not my thing.

I'm also curious if the T1's 8 gas option is across the board or 8 for each OC and CC. Obviously the Petrel has "only" 5, but they can be edited at any time on a dive and there are 5 for OC and a separate 5 for CC.

5 for CC
5 for OC Tec (Trimix; Nitrox; Air)
3 for OC Rec (Nitrox; Air)

I don't mean to derail this thread, but what details can you give on what's wrong with the AI in the Oceanic Atom 3.0/3.1? I'd like to know what to look out for.

All current AI systems are prone to signal loss- they have very limited range. Mares supposedly improved it with bidirectional communication but not really.

They also have battery life issues and some are prone to unanticipated low battery shut down.

One of the major concerns are folks who use an AI without a mechanical SPG back up- because if the signal goes the dive is over or you may be!

There are numerous threads on scuba board of transmitter issues with the Atom - from 2.0-3.1. But again it's a lot of quirky or limited range issues that is inherent in technology used in AI as it currently stands.

Last edited:
Sorry, been traveling and haven't been on SB for a while. We are hopeful to have the next shipment in the next couple of weeks. First batch are all gone!

Anyone know if the T1 and the H3 will have a similar street price to the Petrel 2?

Given the OLEDs, I'd guess not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom