American Airlines Monopoly on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recent changes to aeromexico and delta partner flights.
Not sure what the changes will be.
Keep an eye on any bookings for changes.

I often get great FF award travel on AA to Cozumel. I book 328 days in advance (330 days is the max and flight prices usually drop a few days after they open dates). Last year we snagged one way for 12k from Wichita the week after Thanksgiving.
Flexibility and advanced planning is key.

I recently did Aeromexico via MEX to COZ and it was great. Nice to get customs/immigration out of the way on the layover for a super quick exit from the airport upon arrival in Coz. You’ll definitely want to have at least 2.5-3 hours for the layover. Aeromexico doesn’t make you pick up checked bags on the layover either.
Never thought about the customs aspect of it. That is a plus getting it done ahead of time.

Anyone remember the good old days (early / 90's) when from the West coast, we could fly Continental with one easy connect in Houston. I'm old enough to even remember on my first trip to Coz that there was actually a smoking section in the back 4-5 rows of the plane!! And.......... I dove with a cowboy operator called Pepe Scuba on a thumper ponga out of the Coral Princess and not only had awesome diving...including a HUGE female manta..... but we brought back lobsters for our evening meal. Those days are sadly long gone. Just too many cruise ships and too many people.

Anyone remember the good old days (early / 90's) when from the West coast, we could fly Continental with one easy connect in Houston. I'm old enough to even remember on my first trip to Coz that there was actually a smoking section in the back 4-5 rows of the plane!! And.......... I dove with a cowboy operator called Pepe Scuba on a thumper ponga out of the Coral Princess and not only had awesome diving...including a HUGE female manta..... but we brought back lobsters for our evening meal. Those days are sadly long gone. Just too many cruise ships and too many people.
I do. My first Cozumel trip was in 1978.

Currently on our last leg home from Coz on American Airlines. No complaints here.

Business class was $700 each. We each got two free 70-pound checked bags. Good food and free alcohol on the flight. I had 4 Bloody Marys between Miami and Coz. On layovers we had free use of the Miami Admiral's Lounge (free food, free beer, big comfortable seats, not crowded).

AA put on a good show for us.

Delta also used to provide great service.

Continental was always a nightmare. Bunch of lying cheats. I am thrilled that we don't have to go through TX anymore.

Currently on our last leg home from Coz on American Airlines. No complaints here.

Business class was $700 each. We each got two free 70-pound checked bags. Good food and free alcohol on the flight. I had 4 Bloody Marys between Miami and Coz. On layovers we had free use of the Miami Admiral's Lounge (free food, free beer, big comfortable seats, not crowded).

Continental was always a nightmare. Bunch of lying cheats. I am thrilled that we don't have to go through TX anymore.
I’m United 1K so get free upgrades with all the other stuff (Clear, Pre, Clubs, bags etc). But I still hate flights with connections - especially through IAH. Until they finish overhauling D&E, I try and stay away from arriving on an international flight into that airport.

The UAL Coz flight has a 53 min layover in IAH from EWR on a Sat. Too close for me. I stay over on Fri eve rather than trying to worry about making that connection.

The UAL Coz flight has a 53 min layover in IAH from EWR on a Sat. Too close for memen.
When we had to fly Continental through TX to Cozumel, we made the sub-1 hour connection only half the time. But there weren't any other options unless we went to other airlines that required 3 flights and 2 connections.

My experiences with Continental over the years was very different; I really miss them since United devoured them.

My experiences with Continental over the years was very different; I really miss them since United devoured them.

It was a merger not an acquisition. No devouring.

Back
Top Bottom