airline carry on ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More of the same here......
I "carry-on" regs, computer camera gear, and some clothes. The TSA people vary in reactions from nothing to unpacking the whole damn bag, and swiping for explosives, but even that is more of a nuisance /time waster than anything else. I'd suggest volunteering to repack the bag yourself, because you'll probably have to do it anyway.....

One other thing-if they ask if you have a computer, I learned to say "no laptop", and all is usually well.
One time I truthfully (foolishly?) said " I have a dive computer". The (newbie?) TSA person said "Turn it on, please". I did, and the D C went through the self diagnostic, complete with countdown ".. 9, 8, 7, 6, ....."Thank God there was an experienced TSA person close by, or the newbie might have passed out, or arrested me. :)

Get a GOES card. Either play with the big kids or whine with the rabble. It also works on domestic routes, contrary to accepted wisdom.

I assume you were being somewhat tongue-in-cheek with your TSA are Idiots paragraph, but if you could remove that line of thinking from your head, the less likely you are to let any hint of that leak out at the checkpoint. It's your government that created this and continues it, and no- likely you're really not all that much smarter than the last-job-on-the-planet blue shirted government functionary- he's just muddling through.

Play along. Starbucks is just 30' inside the fortress gates. That is your immediate goal. Your wife? She just has to pee, so if you slow this down, who's gonna pay for this?

Last edited:
I packed wives dive computer, bottom timer and 2 complete regulator sets in my one carry on bag... What are the chances of them giving me a hard time...?

Zero chance you'll get a hard time - but if this is your first time flying since 9/11 your definition of "a hard time" will probably need some adjustment. They will probably ask to open it, look at contents, may ask you to turn dive computer(s) on, etc. May well swap the bag and some of the contents for analysis. Simply comply, be respectful, and be on your way.

Personally, I would be more worried about making sure you understand all of the other rules (especially if I saw you in front of me in line) --- 3oz bottles of liquids/gels, in a clear ziplock bag. Yes that includes contact lens solution. Yes that means that your wife's $100 - but 4oz - makeup bottle will be thrown away. No it doesn't mean a 6oz bottle that only has 3oz remaining in it. Wear slip on shoes to speed removal/replacement. Laptops/iPads out. Phones/wallets/keys in your bag. jackets off. Yes, even that jacket. Yes, your hooded sweatshirt is a jacket. When they say nothing in your pockets... they mean NOTHING in your pockets. No money, no wallet, no boarding pass, no nothing. Not even that pack of gum. Nothing.

I usually give them a heads up that scuba gear is coming thru. Had stuff looked at a few times but they always let it go.

You wont have a hard time, but any time you carry "strange" objects or electronics through the security check, it speeds things up a lot both for yourself and anyone behind you if you put them in a bin by itself instead of sending the unopened bag through the scanner..
They are just gonna ask you to open the bag and scan the items separately anyways.

Zero chance you'll get a hard time - but if this is your first time flying since 9/11 your definition of "a hard time" will probably need some adjustment. They will probably ask to open it, look at contents, may ask you to turn dive computer(s) on, etc. May well swap the bag and some of the contents for analysis. Simply comply, be respectful, and be on your way.

Personally, I would be more worried about making sure you understand all of the other rules (especially if I saw you in front of me in line) --- 3oz bottles of liquids/gels, in a clear ziplock bag. Yes that includes contact lens solution. Yes that means that your wife's $100 - but 4oz - makeup bottle will be thrown away. No it doesn't mean a 6oz bottle that only has 3oz remaining in it. Wear slip on shoes to speed removal/replacement. Laptops/iPads out. Phones/wallets/keys in your bag. jackets off. Yes, even that jacket. Yes, your hooded sweatshirt is a jacket. When they say nothing in your pockets... they mean NOTHING in your pockets. No money, no wallet, no boarding pass, no nothing. Not even that pack of gum. Nothing.

That is why I have not flown in all these years.... But, can't drive to Hawaii..... I read the rules and am trying to be ready for them... Wife said something about us using the bathroom if I'm good....:shocked2: :wink:

Jim...

You'll have to remove your belt(s) too. Tell your wife not to wear anything with metal beading on it, whether that be jeans or a shirt, what they've told you above about your pockets, not even a fricken' kleenex!! As for removing your shoes, it is gross, but both of you be sure to wear some that are easy to slip on and off. If your wife is in sandals, she may want to have some kind of slipper sock with her, otherwise, it is barefeet on cold floor that everyone else has had their cold sweaty feet on. Might as well be in the change room at the gym. Ick.

Play along.

If you are at all pressed for time, this is excellent advice. As to whether paying an annoying fee and giving up your biometric privacy for the privilege of boarding commercial air transport with a modicum of fuss is worth it (much less "playing with the big kids"), that's up the the OP. I was offered free membership in the CLEAR program as part of work, and politely told them to go pound sand... even if it's free, I have no intention of going along with that kind of bull:censored:.

I like to arrive early enough to opt out of the annoying scanners and make the TSA mouthbreather as uncomfortable as possible during the pat down. Then I go to the lounge for a beer secure in the knowledge that I have done what little I can, aside from voting, to push back against the brown shirts and security theater.

Re: security at HNL, here there is so much Aloha that when you leave on United, there's a nearly 100% chance you'll get sent to the scanner even if you're in the expedited line for first class. If you have military ID, look into going through their slightly more civilized screening line...you get to leave your jacket and shoes on.

Ya what Dr. Lector said, you guys all listen to him. Doc and me, will be breezing on through whatever obstacles are put before you. And Doc, sheesh, quit spreading the word would you? Do we really want all the rabble getting through as quickly and painlessly as do we? How will we be able to jump queue's in security lines, if everybody has it? ShhhhhShhhhhh . . .

You'll have to remove your belt(s) too. Tell your wife not to wear anything with metal beading on it, whether that be jeans or a shirt, what they've told you above about your pockets, not even a fricken' kleenex!! As for removing your shoes, it is gross, but both of you be sure to wear some that are easy to slip on and off. If your wife is in sandals, she may want to have some kind of slipper sock with her, otherwise, it is barefeet on cold floor that everyone else has had their cold sweaty feet on. Might as well be in the change room at the gym. Ick.
I disagree. I always have Kleenex in my pockets. And I take my time to put my shoes back on and tie them after going through security. Most every security check I've ever been through had nice benches to sit and get one's stuff together: shoes back on, belt back on, laptop back in backpack, watch back on my wrist, wallet back in my pocket. Then I feel human again.

As for metal beading or whatever else might set off the scanner, is wanding really so bad? I get wanded every once in a while, if only to remember what it feels like. Actually, I like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom