Air Travel with tanks post TSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ychng

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Very informative board -- so far I've been able to find all the answers I need in the archives, but this is a new one:

Since the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) took over screening bags, has anyone travelled with tanks in their checked baggage, valves on or off?

The reason I ask this is that for the past year I've been diving with a Spare Air :bonk: On a recent trip to Malaysia, the kind TSA folks at the Minneapolis airport broke my lock on my dive bag and took out the Spare Air (which was completely empty) and left a badly written note to the effect that compressed air cylinders of any sort were not allowed. Never got it back, of course...

(Many on this board would probably call this a blessing in disguise given that it WAS a Spare Air...)

I've seen one or two discussions on this topic last year, with a board member who works for Delta saying that they need to be <40 psi, but evidently all this has changed with the TSA in charge now.

If you look at the TSA website (http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=12) there is a prohibited list of items which clearly states that compressed gas cylinders are not allowed either in carryon or checked baggage.
** No provision is made for them being full or empty **

Anyways, I need to travel with a 19 cu ft pony in a few months, and I was wondering if anyone on this board has gotten through the TSA with the valve unscrewed, or even carrying it onboard the plane (after all, what's a scuba cylinder without the valve other than a metal tube?) Not looking forward to arguing with the security people about it though.

Thanks in advance!

Yeang

You might want to go to www.delta.com and write them an email asking the same question.

the main reason is...delta is really good about answering questions from customers. i do know delta says you can travel with a tank as long as it has less than 41 psi....but....how do you prove it???? Every time i have traveled with my pony i have always plastic plugged it and had no problems. It may sound dumb...but if you also have your regulators with you it looks less "suspicious"...if ya know what i mean...

let us all know how it goes....good luck

Rich,

Good suggestion about writing the airlines, but from my experience with Northwest, apparently the airlines are no longer responsible for the baggage screening.
Everything is handled through TSA now, which is a government agency. As you can expect, they do NOT respond to inquiries. :(
As a side note, the airlines will not take responsiblity for items removed from your baggage by TSA screeners! Keep your computers and regs in your hand luggage.

What's funny is that they have a Hotline for emergencies and complaints, supposedly staffed by hundreds of people. Last I called I got the voice mail system... no reply so far after 1 month.

Yeang

Last year (on seperate trips) two of my friends both took small cylinders in their check-in baggage. 1 Aluminium 4 l cylinder and then another guy with 2 Steel 3 l cylinders (for their rebreathers). On each occasion they removed the cylinder valve. At check in they declared that they had diving cylinders in their baggage, that the vlaves were removed and offered to let the check-in staff look inside what they now described as a "lump of metal".

As with all dive gear, I'd advise anyone travelling with the stuff to get to the airport early and co-operate with the staff. Most of my trips start with a transatlantic hop out of the UK and I normally have a word with the security people during pre-screening and ask for a full search.

I have had problems taking dive computers into the cabin with my carry on but if you insist that its a matter of safty - so that the dive computer is exposed to the same pressure changes as its owner you can usually get away with it. As often as not you'll find a security person/airline staff who has done some diving and is friendly.

Hope this helps.

Duncan

PS. If you are travelling with rechargable batteries - don't call them "Lead Acid" rather "Gel" cells which is less emotive.

If anyone has a question concerning the transporting of any scuba equipment(or anything else for that matter in checked baggage) including tanks or spare airs post the question or e-mail me and I will try to get you a current accurate answer ASAP.

Not all airports have the same procedures or some of the larger more complex equipment and keep in mind that this is a new government agency going through the growing stages and rules and regulation change constantly. The TSA has the last word on what goes and what doesn't.

Helpfull suggestion #1:

Don't lock your bags!!!!! If we need to get in we can....easily and if we can how hard do you think it would be for someone who REALLY wants your stuff? IMHO all a lock does on baggage is make the owner feel secure, not the bag. A zippered bag can be opened, inspected and closed with out even touching the lock. 95% of the locks I can open with a small screw driver and we have bolt cutters for the rest. Instead use zip /wire ties. Put a couple extra in the bag with a small note so if the screener has to get inside and time permitting he can put new ones on.

Ychng:
TSA Minneapolis did what they were supposed to do concerning your spare air. I know how to ensure it's empty and would have let it go but most are not familiar them. Lots of different scenarios though.....that particular screeners famillarity with the inspected item, how comfortable the supervisor is with the screeners call, how comfortable the supervisor is with the item in general and the current rule(s).
Personally I would remove the valve and put the plastic plug in the tank before traveling.

Everything Duncan Price said works.

Mark

I like this idea of Connie's of attaching a catalog to the object to assist the inspectors.

===============================

Reply-To: connie97@verizon.net
To: <quest@gue.com>
Subject: Travel Tip
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:16:31 -0600

I just arrived in Akumal for several weeks of cave diving. If you have not yet traveled with the new restrictions....I offer the following suggestion for your consideration.

As you know, they recommend that you not lock your luggage (or risk the TSA breaking the locks). Cable ties and duct tape worked nicely. Remember the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will do their inspection most likely without you present or even aware of it. They do attempt to resecure your baggage (use cable ties).

However, to assist the Inspector......I inserted the Halcyon catalog open to photos of the light systems and attached to the light canister with rubber bands. That piece of luggage was inspected somewhere between Tampa, Miami, and Cancun and the light obviously checked out<g> I believe the catalog/photos assisted the Inspector to understand the product<g> They did indeed re-cable tie the baggage, but did not take great care in repacking items. They insert a NOTICE in your luggage informing you it was inspected.

Safe Travel and Diving to all,
Connie

http://www.cavediving.com/connie

I understand why they are doing it but the thought of someone going through my stuff without my knowing or being there gives me the willies BIG TIME.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I understand why they are doing it but the thought of someone going through my stuff without my knowing or being there gives me the willies BIG TIME.

HAH! You want the willies try going through someones suitcase full of dirty laundry...........300+ times a day.:eek:

I'm not even surprised at what people have in their bags anymore:confused:

Roakey's post is good!

FYI if there is a TSA slip in the bag it means something has been removed. The screener is supposed to write down what was taken out on the slip so the passenger knows. We're not supposed to put one in just because we opened the bag but some do.

I finally found an email address to write TSA. I did and asked two specific questions.....even numbered them...1....2.

All I got back was some gobbledeegook political non-answer and I still have no idea what the rules on empty pony bottles are. They referred me to their website where items you can take on board are listed......after I pointed out dive gear wasnt on there in the first place.

I know it isnt a fun job....but come on guys. It isnt rocket science. I find it very interesting NOT ONE of the pre-TSA guys kept their jobs when TSA showed up. There goes another bunch of jobs taken away from Veterans. Dont get me started!!

eandiver once bubbled...

HAH! You want the willies try going through someones suitcase full of dirty laundry...........300+ times a day.:eek:

I'm not even surprised at what people have in their bags anymore:confused:

Roakey's post is good!

FYI if there is a TSA slip in the bag it means something has been removed. The screener is supposed to write down what was taken out on the slip so the passenger knows. We're not supposed to put one in just because we opened the bag but some do.

What kind of items would or should be taken out of someones CHECKED bag? Are you saying that roak had something in there that was a danger to the plane?

The rules should be clear. Only things that are a real danger should be taken. The owner of the dangerouse item should go to jail or...the item shouldn't be taken.

Does the owner of the taken item get it back or are there a bunch of people who split up the loot at the end of the day?

I'm afraid that until they streighten this all out I won't fly. It seems that onece you buy an airline ticket you give up your constitutional rights.

Don't misunderstand me, we need to ensure the safety of the crew and passengeres but IMO searching someones stuff without their knowlege and without them having the right to be present goes way way too far. Just as we don't trust the police to do house searches without a warrent and some kind of system to ensure the integrety of the evidence these folks shouldn't be going through bags.

If I can't lock my bag it is clear that one would need a detailed inventory. What recourse has a person who finds things missing? Is there a way to find out who was in the bag? Do they just tell you your out of luck because you shouldn't bring anything that you don't want to lose?

Back
Top Bottom