Accessing Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmantei

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any tips/tricks/ideas for accessing drysuit pockets while diving sidemount? What is a really easy and straightforward task in BM is causing me fits. Dry cuffs mean I can't reach between the tank and my body. I am 6' so I don't have short arms, but still can't reach around an 8" diameter tank to reach my pocket either. I was thinking about maybe rigging up a pocket to mount to the tanks, but thought I would bounce that idea off here first.

Mark

Pocket location for back-mount is quite likely to be sub-optimal for sidemount. The most common solution is to secure a pocket to the lower-rear of the rig (d-rings), using 1-2 double-ender bolt snaps.

There's more and more of these coming on the market, or you can quite easily rig-up your own...

Manta%20back%20pocket.jpg
razor_expandable_pouch_front.jpg
razor_expandable_pouch_back.jpg

Do you have pictures of what your rig (or maybe just as importantly what your student's rigs) have on them? I tried one of those DiveRite daisy chain (AKA Molex IIRC) webbing, butt hidden behind me, I do not like it.

Bowstone do a fantastic pocket which you butt mount like the one Andy linked above, when my current DR one gives up the ghost i'll be getting one. I'm 6'4 and can access my dry suit pocket (front of leg) Only time it's remotely a PITA is when i have my old dry gloves on (Northern Diver, MASSIVE rings).

Great question. I have the same issue as well. Carrying two 40 deco cylinders will make it impossible to reach my thigh pockets where I am storing my lift bag at the moment. The problem I see with a pouch is accessing it behind you with dry gloves on. One would have to pull the pouch up front then access it contents. Works well on my warm water setup but not sure about getting up front quickly if needed.
I'm thinking my best bet would be to make my own purpose built butt plate to mount my lift bag. Ordered a piece of Kydex plate from Amazon to give a whirl.

Pocket location for back-mount is quite likely to be sub-optimal for sidemount. The most common solution is to secure a pocket to the lower-rear of the rig (d-rings), using 1-2 double-ender bolt snaps.

There's more and more of these coming on the market, or you can quite easily rig-up your own...

Manta%20back%20pocket.jpg
razor_expandable_pouch_front.jpg
razor_expandable_pouch_back.jpg

once again, Andy beat me too it.

A friend of mine uses the type of thigh pocket that attaches to the waist belt and has straps around the leg. He can slide it to the side for restrictions and then slide it forward if he needs to get into it.

THIGH POCKET

A friend of mine uses the type of thigh pocket that attaches to the waist belt and has straps around the leg. He can slide it to the side for restrictions and then slide it forward if he needs to get into it.

THIGH POCKET
Yep, that's what I've done too. Plus, I've moved everything I can out of my pockets-- spools are run in such a way that they shouldn't have any way to unspool, and so they now ride on the butt plate rails. Line markers stay on my light handle.

The key to accessing thigh pockets is to push the sidemount tanks up and out of the way. I push the tank up onto my back using my elbow and that allows me free access into my pockets. When done correctly the tank will roll over your torso onto your back and stay there while you access your pocket contents.

Anyone have any tips/tricks/ideas for accessing drysuit pockets while diving sidemount? What is a really easy and straightforward task in BM is causing me fits. Dry cuffs mean I can't reach between the tank and my body. I am 6' so I don't have short arms, but still can't reach around an 8" diameter tank to reach my pocket either. I was thinking about maybe rigging up a pocket to mount to the tanks, but thought I would bounce that idea off here first.

Mark

Simple. No need for special pockets or do-dads. Let gravity help. Roll and rotate until the tank(s) fall away from the pocket you want to get at... think laterally... literally.

Back
Top Bottom