Accessing Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple. No need for special pockets or do-dads. Let gravity help. Roll and rotate until the tank(s) fall away from the pocket you want to get at... think laterally... literally.

Sounds good and works on paper, but in real life I will not always be able to maneuver in a way to make this happen. Sometimes my movements are to restricted by the environment.

If that's the case would you be able to get into any pocket that wasn't right in front of you? Serious question. I'm not a cave diver but there have been some times in wreck/training overheads where unless it was on a stick out in front of my face there was not much chance of getting a hand down past my chest.

Sounds good and works on paper, but in real life I will not always be able to maneuver in a way to make this happen. Sometimes my movements are to restricted by the environment.

Works in real life too. I tend to test **** before I post on Facebook.

As for a situation where one is unable "to maneuver in a way to make this happen" that's a mighty tight squeeze and pockets are not going to help (Oh, sorry, Jim... Just read your response.)

A senior editor at a newspaper I used to write the occasional editorial piece for once explained the way this writing thing works. He said that it's fine to criticize something and essentially tear its bollocks off, but before you end the piece, you have to present a solution.

So, in short, tell us what you recommend.

Works in real life too. I tend to test **** before I post on Facebook.

As for a situation where one is unable "to maneuver in a way to make this happen" that's a mighty tight squeeze and pockets are not going to help (Oh, sorry, Jim... Just read your response.)

A senior editor at a newspaper I used to write the occasional editorial piece for once explained the way this writing thing works. He said that it's fine to criticize something and essentially tear its bollocks off, but before you end the piece, you have to present a solution.

So, in short, tell us what you recommend.

In short, I already did in a previous post, have pockets that are strapped to your thigh and thus can be moved to a location that is easier to get into them.

My rule it to make sure that if it is something that I might need in one on those tight places, is to make sure I can get to it PRIOR to going there. Some things just never go into my pockets. This will all depend on your diving style and comfort level though.

If a diver will not be going into confined places, then your solution is very simple and requires no more gear or complicated movements to do it.

In short, I already did in a previous post, have pockets that are strapped to your thigh and thus can be moved to a location that is easier to get into them.

Did not see your earlier post... however, looking at it now, do you not find that in a restriction, anything on the front of one's leg is not the lowest point and liable to snag. If you have pre-saged entering the restriction, you have surely moved the pockets to the side and are in a similar position to a diver with "normal" drysuit pockets. Honest question. You seem to get into tighter spots than I do.

Or written another way, if tanks are shifting under their own weight, then it's hard to see them as squared away. That's something I notice about a lot of setups using steels: they seem to be counting on the diver always being face down, because they are couting on the weight of the steels to make them sit in trim.

And that's kind of the same for the dangly pockets in general linked in this thread, though they are given as a solution to not having to shift the tanks around to reach fixed pockets in front.

The question for me is better asked as what is in the pockets, and when will one need access? If it is an SMB the times access to it is needed might allow for even removing the tanks. I still put my monster SMB on the butt, underneath the buttplate.

I have found for me, a lot of stuff gets tucked in the neckline, an option which cold water divers simply do not have. There is all kinds of crap in their at the end of some dives.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2013 at 07:16 PM ----------

Might be a good way to write, but it's a bad way to learn anything. It's usually the questions someone has when they first approach a field which reveals the vast assumptions that those with experience, and 'knowledge' are unknowingly making.

It also rules out any new endeavor when there is no established pattern. Like sidemount, for instance.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2013 at 07:18 PM ----------

Ordered a piece of Kydex plate from Amazon to give a whirl.

Where do you get the stitching for that done?

Last edited:
Did not see your earlier post... however, looking at it now, do you not find that in a restriction, anything on the front of one's leg is not the lowest point and liable to snag. If you have pre-saged entering the restriction, you have surely moved the pockets to the side and are in a similar position to a diver with "normal" drysuit pockets. Honest question. You seem to get into tighter spots than I do.

My rule it to make sure that if it is something that I might need in one on those tight places, is to make sure I can get to it PRIOR to going there.

My rule it to make sure that if it is something that I might need in one on those tight places, is to make sure I can get to it PRIOR to going there.

What's an example of what you are grabbing out of a pocket, and where does it go if you have to guide the tanks ahead of you to get into a space?

So what's the problem with the solution I suggested in my first post?

Seems to me if you have the room to move pockets around and fish for objects d'art, you can probably rotate along your long axis and access regular thigh pockets.

I must be missing something.

---------- Post added July 5th, 2013 at 07:47 AM ----------

Might be a good way to write, but it's a bad way to learn anything. It's usually the questions someone has when they first approach a field which reveals the vast assumptions that those with experience, and 'knowledge' are unknowingly making.

It also rules out any new endeavor when there is no established pattern. Like sidemount, for instance.

It is not only a good way to write, it is considered the proper way to approach critical writing... which was what I was commenting on (read my original post). I said nothing about learning, but please let me know what you think on that topic. I am all ears. The psychology of teaching and learning are topics I am always interested in discovering more about.

So what's the problem with the solution I suggested in my first post?

Seems to me if you have the room to move pockets around and fish for objects d'art, you can probably rotate along your long axis and access regular thigh pockets.

I must be missing something.

---------- Post added July 5th, 2013 at 07:47 AM ----------

I am tired of this pissing contest. There is nothing wrong with your original method, but yoiu might have mentioned the limitations with it in reference to tight places. This is all covered in a proper sidemount course.

I don't move pockets around when confined (hell, it is not possible), I have needed things accessable prior to becoming confined. It is just a matter of being properly prepared prior to. As mentioned in my original post - some things are NEVER in a pocket anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom