Accessing Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am tired of this pissing contest. There is nothing wrong with your original method, but yoiu might have mentioned the limitations with it in reference to tight places. This is all covered in a proper sidemount course.

I don't move pockets around when confined (hell, it is not possible), I have needed things accessable prior to becoming confined. It is just a matter of being properly prepared prior to. As mentioned in my original post - some things are NEVER in a pocket anyway.

It's not a pissing contest. I am genuinely curious about your reasons for the snide remarks about working fine on paper but not in the real world. It seemed unnecessary. And now you are telling me that I should have mentioned the limitations of the technique I outlined! LOL

I am NOT trying to TEACH a sidemount class in a public scuba forum. It would be both impractical and time-consuming... which this thread has now become.

It's not a pissing contest. I am genuinely curious about your reasons for the snide remarks about working fine on paper but not in the real world. It seemed unnecessary. And now you are telling me that I should have mentioned the limitations of the technique I outlined! LOL

I am NOT trying to TEACH a sidemount class in a public scuba forum. It would be both impractical and time-consuming... which this thread has now become.

OK, if you are genuinely curious, the snide remarks were my way of saying that your method will work fine but has limits that will not always work for my style of diving. You can also take it as my being an arsehole too, if you so wish.

Not all newer divers will be comfortable and capable of your method but that is a rather trivial task loading issue.

Sounds good and works on paper, but in real life I will not always be able to maneuver in a way to make this happen. Sometimes my movements are to restricted by the environment.

... so do not get one of those 'side mount pockets' that you clip behind your back.

With one you can get stuck in really interesting ways and you'll need a friend to unclip it for you - or you need to back out if possible.

Gloves. Get rid of any quick-lock dryglove systems and get drygloves with latex seals. They are a bit awkward to put on at first, but you'll get used to them, and they are streamlined.

I have a butt mounted pocket & strap on (DR) thigh pocket I use when sidemount diving.
I'm an experienced wreck diver but a newb to the cenotes & sidemount diving(20 dives total/8 sidemount)
I dive dry in Canada (Viking HD) & it has no pockets & dive wet when in the Carribbean.( no pocket iether).
The thigh pocket was originally fitted on my thigh side, but gravity typically slides it around to the front. This works ok.
Steve's(Doppler) roll manuever works just fine for me to access the thigh pocket. Reaching back for the butt pocket is no issue.
I have dry gloves with seal rings & they do not present a problem.
As for tight places. I'm not into squeezing my 6ft , 250 lb hulk through a restriction. That's just not for me , thanks.

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom