Rebreathers and Rotator cuffs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, those do sound like reasonable options!

For that matter, since I'm not doing dives that require O2 for deco bailout, I could just sling a 40 of O2 on my right side and connect the regular O2 first stage to that... Then no need to reconfigure the plumbing, just have the O2 MAV and the solenoid off the current hoses (maybe adjusting the length a bit..).
Just make sure that this reg’s IP is within the specs for your solenoid, tweak if needed

Just make sure that this reg’s IP is within the specs for your solenoid, tweak if needed
No, I meant I would just use the standard O2 reg that I have been using for years. Just might need to extend some of the hoses to let the bottle sit in a slung or sidemount configuration. I did adjust the IP this weekend before I took it in the water, looks good!

I'm confused, are we talking about the base JJ-CCR config with 3L cylinders, the valves down?
Or some other config?
People seem to like the chestmount CCRs: Triton, Dive Rite etc?

The other config that I mentioned upthread is the GUE configuration. I have never dived it myself, but I have a buddy who does. I'm not GUE, so maybe that article would explain it better, but basicallly you put two 50s on the back with the tanks de-inverted (valves up) with a manifold. That's your dilout. Then you have an O2 bottle on the back of that. The idea is that it's a familiar doubles configuration, so that if you bail out, you are basically diving a set of small doubles.

I did something nasty to my shoulder stretching one morning. No impact or obvious injury but a scan showed inflammation internally in places it should not have been.

To begin with I could not thread my own belt into my trousers.

A load of work with a physio mostly fixed me. For a while I had bigger knobs on the cylinders - dil side was my issue. Clipping the back cylinder clip to a belt d ring is a struggle - I need to do more weight work while lying on my face.

Getting in an out of a drysuit was a struggle too.

A slob knob seems like a good idea. Custom Divers might be able to do a short version.

I did consider running the dil hose up in front of me and putting an inline isolator. It seemed like a lot of hoses though.

My experience was that it was initially terrible and seemed hopeless, but eventually I was fixed. I have been lucky and never really been seriously ill or injured so the whole “recovery” business was an unknown to me.

The other config that I mentioned upthread is the GUE configuration. I have never dived it myself, but I have a buddy who does. I'm not GUE, so maybe that article would explain it better, but basicallly you put two 50s on the back with the tanks de-inverted (valves up) with a manifold. That's your dilout. Then you have an O2 bottle on the back of that. The idea is that it's a familiar doubles configuration, so that if you bail out, you are basically diving a set of small doubles.
Sorry, what I was asking about is which config the original poster is referring to. Which config is a problem with the injury/recovery?

Is the standard 3L valves down, as designed by the manufacturer?

Or is it some other config like the valves up mini twinset thing?

Just stopping by this thread to say once more how much I appreciate everyone's help, but especially @missionmtb , who 3D printed this elongated valve handle for me and sent it to me to try! Seriously, this is an awesome tribe, and I am very grateful.

I put the valve handle on today. I'm still not quite there, but I can reach the valve now, thanks to @missionmtb and my physical therapist. I still need a bit more range to feel comfortable being able to shut that down in a hurry underwater, but I know that I'm almost there. I tired lowering the tanks a bit more, but I don't think that's the issue - this photo is with a wide angle lens and from the angle it looks like there is more space below than there really is.

So until then, more stretching. My diving is limited to single tank, but that's OK. Have done a few local wrecks, slinging an AL80 as a pony bottle. And shore diving is no problem...

Dive safe!

O2_valve_extension.jpg

OK, normally people ask me medical questions here, but today I’m looking for help for myself.

I had a skiing injury in January, tore my right rotator cuff. Had the repair in February. This is a BRUTAL recovery, much longer and more difficult than I imagined. But I’m making slow progress with my range of motion in physical therapy (my PT is terrific).

I was really looking forward to getting back in the water this season. I had no problems in my single tank gear in the pool. I finally got some cells for my JJ, and I put it together yesterday. Had fun setting it up, adjusting the IP on the regs, etc…. All good to go! I got in the pool, and realized that I can’t reach the O2 valve. UGH.

So I’m looking for specific rotator cuff and valve advice from anyone who has gone through this. Yes, I will continue to work with PT and I’m hoping that it will happen for later in the season, but who knows. I may never get there.

Options at this point are:

1) Figure out the weighting for a single tank rig. I hate diving dry with a single tank, because even with a second backplate and a weighted ST adapter for the backplate, I still need a lot of weight. But I will try doing this for the near future, and hopefully get in the water for a dive with some sort of slung pony (40 or 80).

2) Get rid of the JJ and find some sort of CCR that doesn’t require the valves to be in the standard inverted position. Yes, I know about the GUE de-inverted configuration, but I can’t reach there either. Tried with a set of doubles, which used to be my backup when I didn’t have cells, but I can’t really reach the right valve on doubles either. Could probably reach the isolator with my left hand, but doesn’t seem like a great option.

3) Find another hobby. I used to say “take up golf” but I don’t think that I could even do that at this point..
I had a sking injury 20 years ago where I put my left humeris through the scapula. Lets say that sucked. The best orthopedic surgeon in town said something like “right now that bone is like styrofoam, so we’ll see how it is in a few months.’

Do the PT, work on range of motion. It gets better slowly even past when it isn’t supposed to.

I still have trouble reaching valves in doubles. But not as much as when I failed a doubles primer as I couldn’t even touch the valves.

Do the PT, work on range of motion. It gets better slowly even past when it isn’t supposed to.

I still have trouble reaching valves in doubles. But not as much as when I failed a doubles primer as I couldn’t even touch the valves.

Thanks so much, stories like this give me hope!

Back
Top Bottom