Rebreathers and Rotator cuffs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, exactly. Some of this is just aging (I'm 61). Ironically, both my skiing and diving were at higher levels than I had ever been at before, when I was younger and not in very good shape!

Oh, well... as my dad used to say, "getting old is terrible until you consider the alternative".

Yup... a few options out there. I really love my JJ, hope I don't have to give it up. But good to know that there are options!

How long have you been rehabbing the shoulder? It’s a long process, but I’d guess if you focus on that you’d eventually get the majority of your ROM back. If for some reason it doesn’t, are you able to reach a SM tank valve on that side? Maybe switch to a dilout config? Or a SM rebreather?

This would probably be a little finicky during gear-up, but can you just "off-board" and sling the O2, like a deco bottle?

Hang in there with the PT. When I had my rotator cuff surgery it took me almost a year to get 95% of my range of motion back. Shoulder surgery is the worst to recover from. I can reach the valves on an inverted backmount CCR no problem but have difficulty with manifolded doubles. Don,t let your insurance determine how much PT you need. A good a physical therapist will help fight for more more sessions. I had 70% recovery in the first 3 months but it took 5 more months and a better physical therapist to get the next 25%.
Very sorry to hear about your injury. I had this four years ago and concur it is brutal. Range is key. PT and doc both told me I had a six month window to get range of motion back or it's pretty much gone. So I show up on day one to PT saying "I need to be able to climb a boat ladder (not hard in retrospect) and I need to be able to reach my valves behind my neck/shoulders (MUCH tougher)." I was in PT for 7 months at age 51. PT and working on range is crucial but very doable. I'm happy to say I have about 90% of my range compared to the good shoulder. It is a very slow process. Hang in there!

Keep up the PT it is a long haul but you should be able to get there. I tore 3 tendons which had to be re-anchored with pins ten years ago when I was 65. It took 8 months before I could do warm water diving with some assistance and 14 before cold water diving. I now have full range of motion. Full recovery took over 2 years.

2) Get rid of the JJ and find some sort of CCR that doesn’t require the valves to be in the standard inverted position. Yes, I know about the GUE de-inverted configuration, but I can’t reach there either. Tried with a set of doubles, which used to be my backup when I didn’t have cells, but I can’t really reach the right valve on doubles either. Could probably reach the isolator with my left hand, but doesn’t seem like a great option.
Have you considered a slob knob? I considered this for doubles because of range of motion issues before settling on a CCR, might be something unique you could do with this and your JJ in the standard config...

1685384967923.png

I wonder if (gasp) a remote inline shutoff would cover you in most scenarios as well?

How long have you been rehabbing the shoulder? It’s a long process, but I’d guess if you focus on that you’d eventually get the majority of your ROM back. If for some reason it doesn’t, are you able to reach a SM tank valve on that side? Maybe switch to a dilout config? Or a SM rebreather?

yup, all options! Not giving up yet. Started PT at week 6, started strength training at week 12..

This would probably be a little finicky during gear-up, but can you just "off-board" and sling the O2, like a deco bottle?

Yup! JJ is very flexible. Lots of different configuration options... but of course, I don't want to reinvent the wheel and hoping to use it in it's standard config.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom