Rebreathers and Rotator cuffs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sorry to hear about your injury. I had this four years ago and concur it is brutal. Range is key. PT and doc both told me I had a six month window to get range of motion back or it's pretty much gone. So I show up on day one to PT saying "I need to be able to climb a boat ladder (not hard in retrospect) and I need to be able to reach my valves behind my neck/shoulders (MUCH tougher)." I was in PT for 7 months at age 51. PT and working on range is crucial but very doable. I'm happy to say I have about 90% of my range compared to the good shoulder. It is a very slow process. Hang in there!
Awesome thanks!!

Had some other thoughts,
  • If your JJ is the extended range version, maybe put the longer, standard-length stand on it and then drop the cylinders down. That would give you 2" of drop on the knob and may be enough.
  • Alternatively, maybe the something like the Narked @90 travel stand would allow you to run the O2 cylinder crosswise through the stand and put the knob in a better position.
  • Longer knobs like Vindicators might also reduce the need for arm articulation a bit.

My rotators have been chronic for 20 years, so I have some appreciation. Been through PT and multiple rounds of waiting for healing. Some day I will likely have to go for surgery. I understand adapting rig as I've been doing it a bit for the combination of disc herniations and shoulders.

Keep up the PT it is a long haul but you should be able to get there. I tore 3 tendons which had to be re-anchored with pins ten years ago when I was 65. It took 8 months before I could do warm water diving with some assistance and 14 before cold water diving. I now have full range of motion. Full recovery took over 2 years.

Yup! Posts like this are what I needed today...

Have you considered a slob knob? I considered this for doubles because of range of motion issues before settling on a CCR, might be something unique you could do with this and your JJ in the standard config...

View attachment 785554

I wonder if (gasp) a remote inline shutoff would cover you in most scenarios as well?

I had considered a slob knob when I was playing around with doubles earlier this season.

But what just occurred to me today is that if there were some sort of long tank valve - it would just need to be extended an inch or two - that would do it. Doubt I could reach an isolator valve behind my head, but that I could do with my left hand. The doubles issue was the right valve.

Will see if there is any sort of valve handle extension available...

Had some other thoughts,
  • If your JJ is the extended range version, maybe put the longer, standard-length stand on it and then drop the cylinders down. That would give you 2" of drop on the knob and may be enough.
  • Alternatively, maybe the something like the Narked @90 travel stand would allow you to run the O2 cylinder crosswise through the stand and put the knob in a better position.
  • Longer knobs like Vindicators might also reduce the need for arm articulation a bit.

My rotators have been chronic for 20 years, so I have some appreciation. Been through PT and multiple rounds of waiting for healing. Some day I will likely have to go for surgery. I understand adapting rig as I've been doing it a bit for the combination of disc herniations and shoulders.

Right, was just thinking about an extension valve handle.. thanks! Those are all good considerations.

Just want to take a minute to say how much I appreciate all of you. This really is an amazing community, and it's so great how you all chimed in to help me on a very depressing day...

Thanks!

One thing I would Like to add. Don't rush it.
^^^This 100%

I had my labrum done 11 years ago and I pushed it too soon. I did all my PT and had great range of motion afterwards, but being a younger (26/27) year old Marine I destroyed the repair. I should have been easier on it the first year, but once I was cleared for full duty I went full on with it. It hurts daily and I don't know if I'm willing to do another surgery on it until I'm older.

No rebreather recommendation but the sidemount may be a reasonable idea. My first shoulder repair was extensive, brutal long recovery, went back to work to soon, tore it up worse so it’s held together with 5 screws and the two recoveries sort of blend together, my 3 was my other shoulder, a few screws and a beater recovery time, 3 days after surgery towed my boat over the Sierra to Tahoe for a week of boating.

had a total knee replacement and was diving in 33 days, shoulders are slow to get back but just keep up with the therapy, run your arm up every wall you come up on to stretch the joint, if it doesn’t hurt you are probably being to Gentle with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom