Rebreathers and Rotator cuffs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just stopping by this thread to say once more how much I appreciate everyone's help, but especially @missionmtb , who 3D printed this elongated valve handle for me and sent it to me to try! Seriously, this is an awesome tribe, and I am very grateful.

I put the valve handle on today. I'm still not quite there, but I can reach the valve now, thanks to @missionmtb and my physical therapist. I still need a bit more range to feel comfortable being able to shut that down in a hurry underwater, but I know that I'm almost there. I tired lowering the tanks a bit more, but I don't think that's the issue - this photo is with a wide angle lens and from the angle it looks like there is more space below than there really is.

So until then, more stretching. My diving is limited to single tank, but that's OK. Have done a few local wrecks, slinging an AL80 as a pony bottle. And shore diving is no problem...

Dive safe!
I have no idea of JJ’s first stage plumbing, so please disregard if stupid – any reason not to turn the O2 cylinder counterclockwise by 30°? or 45°? That’d effectively move the tip of the valve handle another 1-1.5” forward.

Just a thought

Just stopping by this thread to say once more how much I appreciate everyone's help, but especially @missionmtb , who 3D printed this elongated valve handle for me and sent it to me to try! Seriously, this is an awesome tribe, and I am very grateful.

I put the valve handle on today. I'm still not quite there, but I can reach the valve now, thanks to @missionmtb and my physical therapist. I still need a bit more range to feel comfortable being able to shut that down in a hurry underwater, but I know that I'm almost there. I tired lowering the tanks a bit more, but I don't think that's the issue - this photo is with a wide angle lens and from the angle it looks like there is more space below than there really is.

So until then, more stretching. My diving is limited to single tank, but that's OK. Have done a few local wrecks, slinging an AL80 as a pony bottle. And shore diving is no problem...

Dive safe!

View attachment 790692
Have you tried in the water? While recovering, I found I could move without pain in the water and my range of motion was better.

That said, I still can't hit my left BM valve with enough confidence to dive doubles anymore... I didn't even think about it during my recovery, and I didn't make that stretch something I worked on during recovery :(.

I had my shoulder reconstructed after an MTB accident several years ago. I found the missing ingredient to get full range of motion back was strength training specific small muscle groups. Going on ten years and I still need to make sure I do these exercises.

This. Follow your PT's advice.

I have no idea of JJ’s first stage plumbing, so please disregard if stupid – any reason not to turn the O2 cylinder counterclockwise by 30°? or 45°? That’d effectively move the tip of the valve handle another 1-1.5” forward.

Just a thought

It would be even harder to reach, because it would be closer to the midline... I did try something like that. But thanks!

Have you tried in the water? While recovering, I found I could move without pain in the water and my range of motion was better.

That said, I still can't hit my left BM valve with enough confidence to dive doubles anymore... I didn't even think about it during my recovery, and I didn't make that stretch something I worked on during recovery :(.

Tempting, but I really don't want to get back in the water on CCR until I am very comfortable with getting to that valve. I'm almost there!

That arm reach on the doubles posted a bit back is the hardest arm position to get a at a good level after shoulder surgery.

That being said, I am at 5 months after my surgery and I took my 1st waterski set Saturday... So it shouldnt be this long for anyone to dive post shoulder surgery :)

That arm reach on the doubles posted a bit back is the hardest arm position to get a at a good level after shoulder surgery.

That being said, I am at 5 months after my surgery and I took my 1st waterski set Saturday... So it shouldnt be this long for anyone to dive post shoulder surgery :)
There is shoulder surgery and there is shoulder surgery. You will know when you are ready.

There is shoulder surgery and there is shoulder surgery. You will know when you are ready.
That sounds like the shoulder replacement guy I was sent to. His analysis was that I had more strength and range of motion that I would after replacement. “You might need a replacement eventually, but it won’t be this year and almost certainly not next year. But you’ll know when it’s time.”

But so far I’ve only had two periods where things got painful and a shot followed by PT was able to get it back under control.

Tempting, but I really don't want to get back in the water on CCR until I am very comfortable with getting to that valve. I'm almost there!
I should have been clearer. I was thinking of a pool, or a controlled environment where you could try to get to the valve without necessarily using the rebreather/doing a dive.

In my experience, I could move more and further underwater than I could on the surface, and I could do it without pain. You may find that you're already "there" when you're weightless, and if you aren't, you'll get in a good stretch session.

I should have been clearer. I was thinking of a pool, or a controlled environment where you could try to get to the valve without necessarily using the rebreather/doing a dive.

In my experience, I could move more and further underwater than I could on the surface, and I could do it without pain. You may find that you're already "there" when you're weightless, and if you aren't, you'll get in a good stretch session.

Right, I understand... I guess I could try that. I just figured that I would give myself a bit more recovery before trying it in the water.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom