Absurd dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdH2Odvr:
A buddy of mine has a BC (old) with a little CO2 cartridge powered inflator. Out of air, dumped your weight belt and still stuck on the bottom? Just pull the handy cord.

Actually, the CO2 cartridge was meant to provide emergency surface flotation and wasn't intended to to be triggered at depth.

These are the instructions on the back of my BC:
Important Notice
Effective use of this product requires training in buoyancy control from a certified instructor.
Caution
*If equipped with a CO2 inflator do not inhale gasses from within the BC. *Emergency face up flotation may not be provided for all wearers and conditions.
*See literature supplied with BC for maintenance instructions and intended use recommendations.
Model: White Water. Approximate Buoyancy - 40 pounds when fully inflated in fresh water at sea level.
Before use - Inspect for damage and proper operation. Inspect for a full CO2 cartridge. Check the detonator operation. Lever must be in prefire position before installing cartridge. Minimum cartridge size required - 25 grams. After use - Rinse inside and out with fresh water. Store partially inflated. SeaQuest, Inc. Made in U.S.A.

Well, there's the I Sea U rear-view mirror, and the SCUDA (Self-contained Underwater Drinking Apparatus), then there's the SPG that blinks when you're low on air (kinda pointless since you have to be looking at it to see it blink, so you'll know you're low on air with or without the blinking lights). There's also the underwater MP3 player... unless you're on a rebreather, I can't imagine how you can enjoy your music when your bubbles are louder! hehehe

coberry7:
This thread has degenerated from a comical thread about outrageous gear into a thread that is a competition between minimalists, and those that like their gadgets.

Minimalists think that they are superior by streamlining their gear and 'bang their heads against a wall' if someone else doesn't do as they do.

Gadget heads love to dive and fail to see what the big **** deal is if you are doing a wall dive?

Cave diving in Wakulla? OK, different setup. Cave diving anywhere? Different setup.

Diving on Brac...where the kitchen sink for all I care.

Most OW dives? Put as much as you feel comfy diving with on your gear.

Quit pissing on each other and respect the differences in the dives that you will be doing.

Seems to be that most of the ridicule is coming from the minimalist divers, though. I saw the same trend in backpacking and climbing.

When will I ever escape those that feel superior based on methods, techniques, and equipment?

I'm tired of Prima Donna's that feel that their way is the only 'RIGHT' way.

Have fun, quit ridiculing other's methods and choices and by default, those that gear up differently than you.

This crap disgusts me.

AMEN!!!!!

You should check out a lot of the postings from the DIR gods!!!

Hey! Stop picking up the SCUDA! I've got one of those ridiculous red bags, and actually use it sometimes. After 90 minutes of tooting around at Looe Key, it's a relief to suck down some freshwater.

And chics dig it!!

DCDivenut:
AMEN!!!!!

I'll go along with you to the extent that some of the gear ridiculed or vilified here is in fact perfectly acceptable and useful, but not to everyone. Ergo, it's kind of shallow and silly to criticize it's use as a generalization. Admittedly there are some pretty useless, even dangerous offerings on the dive accessory market, and many of us still have drawers and boxes filled with those items. Obviously we thought they might be okay once upon a time. If you dive more than a few times your needs and wants tend to change, and you start to appreciate the practicality and utility of certain choices of gear and gear configurations because it complements your personal diving demands. But just because I've relegated a piece of gear to the junk bin doesn't mean that rule applies to everyone. To each his own.

You should check out a lot of the postings from the DIR gods!!!

I thought everyone was doing an admirable job of keeping the D-word out of this thread. This is as biased and offensive a judgement as the ones you criticize in the other posters in this thread. In no way do the DIR advocates have an exclusive on overzealous claims and derision. I think it would be fair to say that there are proportionally as many anti-DIR jerks as there are pro-DIR jerks.

You should have called it quits at "amen". 8)

JohnF

JohnF:
I'll go along with you to the extent that some of the gear ridiculed or vilified here is in fact perfectly acceptable and useful, but not to everyone. Ergo, it's kind of shallow and silly to criticize it's use as a generalization. Admittedly there are some pretty useless, even dangerous offerings on the dive accessory market, and many of us still have drawers and boxes filled with those items. Obviously we thought they might be okay once upon a time. If you dive more than a few times your needs and wants tend to change, and you start to appreciate the practicality and utility of certain choices of gear and gear configurations because it complements your personal diving demands. But just because I've relegated a piece of gear to the junk bin doesn't mean that rule applies to everyone. To each his own.

I thought everyone was doing an admirable job of keeping the D-word out of this thread. This is as biased and offensive a judgement as the ones you criticize in the other posters in this thread. In no way do the DIR advocates have an exclusive on overzealous claims and derision. I think it would be fair to say that there are proportionally as many anti-DIR jerks as there are pro-DIR jerks.

You should have called it quits at "amen". 8)

JohnF

AMEN!!! wink

ew1usnr:
Check the detonator operation.

Gotta love gear that comes with a detonator!!! That alone is reason enough to dive it!

1. UW GPS system
2. contact lens that do away with the mask
3. a kayak that turns into a mini sub
4. cordless reg
5. computerized BCD
6. Mini turbo fans you can mount on the back of your theighs
7. lets see if where dreamin here than. take the air capacity of AL80 and put it in the size of a coke bottle. surely someone can do that?
8. a dive puter the size of a wrist watch Nitrox compadable also
9. nightvission divers mask
10. a small packet that is the size of a shoe that you press a button and it inflates to a full size yatch with a mini bar, captain and crew that runs on nuclear power! I can see i have run out of Ideas today but there's always tomorrow! Right!!!
I think this is what the starter of this thread wanted to know.

Mike

GotAir:
10. a small packet that is the size of a shoe that you press a button and it inflates to a full size yatch with a mini bar, captain and crew that runs on nuclear power! /QUOTE]

I've got to remember to put this on my xmas wish list!!! Although I think I would prefer a full bar though.
:microwav:
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom