Absurd dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I know, but they were available on the way to the dive site, and... Well... EE does me so well for so many things that I don't mind paying the extra. They filled two of my tanks for free that day with 31%...

I also like the design of the Halcyon spring straps a bit over all the others... I like the delrin rods (no dislike metals there) and I like the fact that the "tube" doesn't trap water against the spring for days at a time (which can be a big deal after lots and lots of salty ocean dives).

Yeah, I paid too much. :biggrin: Doug (EE) installed them for free, though.

You should see what I paid for my backup lights... Two of 'em. :biggrin:

SeaJay:
Really? What sort of things have you bought that you look back on and think, "What was I doing??"

Oh, man, SeaJay, I've got a killer list... Where to start?

Fins...
I'm BAD with fins. I think I have about eight or nine pairs. I'd be set if I were an octopus. I've bought freediving fins, Force Fins, paddle fins, cheap fins, $plit fins, even cheap split fins.

No Jets yet, which gives me something to waste money on in the future. :)

Lights...
I bought an LED that worked, very dimly, for half a dive before flooding. Have you ever seen what salt water does to lithium batteries?

I bought a combo emergency LED strobe/whistle/compass that flooded as soon as it hit the water.

I bought one of the old lights that used a car headlamp and a lantern battery, on approval, and lost it before I even tried it. Pay up!

Suits...
I bought a really nice ScubaPro 7mil hooded sleeveless jacket, too small to wear over my wetsuit, too thick to wear under, and useless as a stand alone without sleeves.

I've got a nice polypropylene skin that I bought before I got a wetsuit. I thought it would keep me warm because it was polypropylene instead of lycra. Sure.

Weights...
I bought pockets for my harness, much like what you are having made in Oz (without the SPECIAL FEATURE, of course). Useless. I quickly went back to a belt.

Oh, and here's one... I had two 2#s and one 3#. I needed more for my new, thicker, wetsuit. I decided I needed eight pounds. I bought two 4#s instead of just another 3#. Duh. But wait... I decided that I was still a touch light. (I was... in the head, obviously.) So I went and bought two 5#s! I had to go back and exchange them for one 3# because I finally figured out that 3+2=5!

BCs...
I bought a jacket with a tire patch on the bladder at a pawn shop. I bought a used Zeagle. I now use a BP/wings.

Masks...
I bought one of those Dacor masks that were like swim goggles with a nose pocket. What crap.

I have little bottles of about six different de-fogs, even though the best thing I've used is baby shampoo.

SMBs...
I had an orange sausage like everyone else. I read somewhere that yellow was more visible, so I had to buy one of those. I read somewhere that a collapsible flag was more visible, so I bought one of those. I now have a big semi-closed SMB with a pressure release valve that I can shoot from a spool at depth.

And the road goes on forever.

But, I've NEVER paid $75 for fin straps!! :)

Hahahahaaa! Now that was enlightening. Lol...

Do Ebay! I have, and it frees up more money to blow on useless crap. :biggrin:

...Speaking of which, I have a few items that are due for "release to the public." I'm thinking about a new can light, and could use the extra dosh...

SeaJay:
Do Ebay! I have, and it frees up more money to blow on useless crap. :biggrin:

...Speaking of which, I have a few items that are due for "release to the public." I'm thinking about a new can light, and could use the extra dosh...

We may be able to do some trading... Nah!!

We use these in search and recovery on the Police Underwater Recovery Unit I am on. We run search patterns alone. When you find a body, etc... you let the dumbell thing float up so the location of the object is marked so yourself or other divers can easily return for photo/video documentation if neccesary, and subsequent recovery. Not so dumb after all...

Wow... It's been nearly a year since I last saw this thread... Great stuff indeed! :D

Yeah, there's a couple of divers that use the dumbell thingies on my rescue squadron, too...

Hey, man... One man's trash is another man's treasure, I suppose. I hit my bodies with a lift bag and spool as per Dive Rescue International (DRI), PADI, and GUE... Could go into the reasons why not to use the dumbell, but if it works for you, then by all means...

'Cause it's really all about just gettin' the job done. :D

Thanks for resurrecting this thread... Great stuff for sure!

This thread is 13 pages long, so I'll just throw out a couple of ideas:

1) A dive computer with built-in wireless internet and instant messaging, for those who simply must stay connected at all times.

2) A submersible cell phone, so as to call your nondiving friends during a dive and quietly mock them with the sound of your bubbles.

3) A combination snorkel/water bong.

4) Fins with built-in appendages that make motor boat noises like what we used to do with our bicycles as kids.

5) Mask that digitally superimpose your choice of attractive person of the opposite sex (mermaid, macho black-suited SEAL, scuba model in thong bikini, Peter Hughes) over the underwater scenery.

6) Flavored mouthpieces.

7) Wetsuit with round indentations on interior surface to allow you to load wetsuit with Alka-Seltzer tablets, for an unusually invigorating dive experience.

8) Tank with working air-rocket nozzles in bottom. For quick escapes or just for fun!

9) Regulator with special exhaust flapper valve that either whoopees (basic) or makes what sound like rude remarks (deluxe).

10) Submersible snacks.

cheers

Billy S.

SeaJay,
How's about enlightening me on this one. I've considered using these to mark under water ruins so that I can go back to the surface and get good GPS co-ordinates.

"Could go into the reasons why not to use the dumbell, but if it works for you, then by all means..."

Thanx . . .
Dennis

Oh... Sure, man...

Here's how you want to mark something underwater: http://www.fifthd.com/divestore/classes/video/shootbag.avi

If you take a dumbell down with you, then:

1. You can only carry one or two before you start to run out of space.
2. Keeping them streamlined is a problem.
3. The buoyant little dumbell changes your buoyancy characteristics, which can be a problem especially if you carry them in the wrong spot.
4. If you accidentally let one go, you can't get it back - well, not easily, anyway, which is especially a problem in deep water.
5. Dumbells have the line on them - that is, they uncoil as they go... You hold one end of the line and then let the whole shebang go. If there's any current, once that dumbell hits the surface it'll splay all the way out, becoming a hazard to yourself and others; it also doesn't do a very good job of marking your point for your GPS.

Lift bags, on the other hand:

1. Are streamlined prior to deployment and don't mess with your buoyancy and trim.
2. Can be carried as multiples.
3. Don't get lost if you drop one - they only "go" after you've inflated them.
4. Rise directly above you, and allow you to measure out exactly how much line you want.
5. Double as a surface marker buoy.
6. Can lift large objects if you need them to.
7. Provide a redundant buoyancy source.

In terms of body searching, though, I wouldn't recommend the use of either.

A diver doing a body search in a diver-sized area should be doing it with a line... Like a spool or reel. Almost always, the body will be in zero vis water unless it's in a cave or wreck - otherwise they'd have found the body already. :D

Anyway, so a diver does a circular pattern search using a line - once the body's located, the line should be tied off to the body, but left in place. The searching diver then returns back up the line (the other end should be attached to an anchor, the rescue boat, a stationary buoy, etc. - or another diver in a pinch) and then acends to the surface with critical information and to discuss with the authorities the condition of the body, the location of the body, and to obtain permission to remove the body from the water. Depending on the situation, the body should never be "marked" directly - no buoyant devices should be attached to it, for fear that it'll get dragged to the surface by wind and current, destroying a possible crime scene.

For that matter, imagine the horror of family members standing on the shore or on the boat - your buoy takes off, dragging a partial body to the surface. Not good.

Besides, once you've found the body, you'll probably be asked to bag it and then lift it, likely on the leeward side of the rescue boat. This means that you're going to have to go get a body bag anyway, unless you plan to do your entire search with one. Getting the chance to go back, discuss the situation with the Captain, and make a mutual decision on what to do now that you've found the body (which may change with whatever information you bring up with you) are all things that you need to stop and have the chance to do. During this time, if you have a marker buoy in the water, people (family members and onlookers) start freaking out, wondering why you're not immediately recovering the body. Thus, no markers should be used.

Low key is "the" key. :D It's a matter of respect for the family and a matter of respect for the powers in charge of the operation.

Thanx . . .
#1, #4 and #5 were pretty evident. I did have concerns about #3 and #2 didn't even factor into the equation.

Just trying to figure out something #1 - inexpensive that #2 can be retrieved from the surface.

Don't cotton to the idea of leaving a good reel on the bottom only to get tangled up on the retrieval . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom