Question MAKO: Seeking Feedback for Application of SMB to Recreational Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
We recently designed and commissioned the manufacture of a somewhat unique SMB or closed lift bag (see link below).

It is a short, somewhat stout SMB that is completely sealed, so it has a dump valve/Over pressure relief valve and an inflator that works orally or can be connected to a standard low pressure inflator hose. The material itself is robust and should hold up to frequent use. The bag has only about 8 lbs of lift and is about 2 feet long, so it rolls up nicely into a very compact package using the integrated strap.

It is designed primarily for scuba spearfisherman who desire to send a speared fish directly to the surface, rather than carry a fish during a dive if/when sharks are present. Obviously, this requires the assistance of a live boat and an attentive captain to retrieve the fish from the surface in a timely manner. The OP valve means it can be released from any depth without any concern for over-expansion. The small size allows a scuba diver to easily carry a few during the dive.

Anyway, we were wondering if this specific product would have some utility for recreational SCUBA divers who want a very small and compact DSMB marker? Perhaps one that is intended as a practice or training device? Although it does not provide long distance signaling/visibility, the relatively small volumetric capacity should make it easier to manage and thus less difficult to handle underwater, compared to a typical "long" SMB. It should be easier to completely fill underwater.

Is this an application or use that we should list on our website? If so, any ideas how best to describe the product for that application? Are there other uses or benefits for typical scuba divers that we haven't considered?

Thanks for your time and we would appreciate any feedback!

dano

I would like to hear some responses. This is one item I do not own and have been lightly researching them.

Dano, here are a few uses that would apply to recreational scuba.
1. With that little lift, it would be valuable as a training tool to introduce DSMB deployment in the pool with little risk of the diver being unexpectedly pulled to the surface.
2. It would also allow the instructor/student to pull it back down to repeat the exercise without having to go to the surface to retrieve it.
3. It would be easier to manage due to the short length. I always used a 36 inch one with maybe 10lbs of lift for these very reasons.
4. In open water, it would be easy to deploy it to create an upline in conjunction with a spool. It would make a nice compact package that is easily stowed in a pocket.
5. Again, the short length and low lift capacity somewhat mitigate the risk of deploying it and getting it tangled up in gear. This can lead to an uncontrolled ascent if a large DSMB can't be deflated.
6. Using it to create an upline gives the user a visual and tactile reference, making a controlled ascent easier.
Once on the surface, a large one could be deployed if necessary.
7. If the boat crew is attentive and the use is discussed before splashing, it could be used in conjunction with the line to send up a slate or note in an emergency.

If I were still teaching, I'd offer to check one out and get shots of it in use in a class setting and in open water. I retired from teaching, and I'll be surprised if I get in open water more than a couple of times this year.
Otherwise, if you get some photos, I'd be happy to provide a written description of what is going on.

Oh, and feel free to use any of the above suggestions in your ad copy and edit them however you want.
Having taught all of these uses for over 15 years in recreational and tech classes, I can attest that they are all valid applications.

Dano, here are a few uses that would apply to recreational scuba.
1. With that little lift, it would be valuable as a training tool to introduce DSMB deployment in the pool with little risk of the diver being unexpectedly pulled to the surface.
2. It would also allow the instructor/student to pull it back down to repeat the exercise without having to go to the surface to retrieve it.
3. It would be easier to manage due to the short length. I always used a 36 inch one with maybe 10lbs of lift for these very reasons.
4. In open water, it would be easy to deploy it to create an upline in conjunction with a spool. It would make a nice compact package that is easily stowed in a pocket.
5. Again, the short length and low lift capacity somewhat mitigate the risk of deploying it and getting it tangled up in gear. This can lead to an uncontrolled ascent if a large DSMB can't be deflated.
6. Using it to create an upline gives the user a visual and tactile reference, making a controlled ascent easier.
Once on the surface, a large one could be deployed if necessary.
7. If the boat crew is attentive and the use is discussed before splashing, it could be used in conjunction with the line to send up a slate or note in an emergency.

If I were still teaching, I'd offer to check one out and get shots of it in use in a class setting and in open water. I retired from teaching, and I'll be surprised if I get in open water more than a couple of times this year.
Otherwise, if you get some photos, I'd be happy to provide a written description of what is going on.

Oh, and feel free to use any of the above suggestions in your ad copy and edit them however you want.
Having taught all of these uses for over 15 years in recreational and tech classes, I can attest that they are all valid applications.
Wow, Thanks Jim!

The idea of using a spool and then sending it up as a simple upline does make a lot sense to me. Your other ideas are great as well.

We offer an optional pocket/holster for it, which is quite inexpensive.

Thanks
dano

I suspect the appeal to divers would be limited.

It might be useful for OW instructors to get one for training, but I certainly wouldn't use something that short for the "Surface Marker" part of DSMB. As for use as an upline, why wouldn't I use my regular DSMB for that?

Under SDI Solo certification a DSMB is considered a redundant source of buoyancy for emergencies when solo diving. In such a situation, it seems like a shorter DSMB like this one could be easier to manage than a 6 foot DSMB. Also, the 8 pounds of lift should be sufficient in this scenario for most recreational divers (who are not significantly over-weighted with lead) but still manageable to not rocket up to the surface too fast. Also, seems the bolt-snap configuration on this one would work well attaching to a chest D-ring for this purpose.

Would be happy to try one at the training platform at my local quarry and report back.

I suspect the appeal to divers would be limited.

It might be useful for OW instructors to get one for training, but I certainly wouldn't use something that short for the "Surface Marker" part of DSMB. As for use as an upline, why wouldn't I use my regular DSMB for that?
I've been in locations that sending up a 6ft DSMB to use as an upline is just overkill. And to deploy and stow it after is just more work than I want to do.

At under 4ft and less than 4" wide this packs optimally with reel

304 046a.jpg

SEE HOW THEY DON'T UNSPOOL!

But I do have to sew some bungee onto the strap of some of them

Plenty to see on the surface, it will be on top of the waves when it is

Pull it down if you want, to lay over it under your arms for buoyancy

I install these on them internal valve nothing to push with your teeth

If you do it like this

305 023a.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom