a morbid question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you would be aware it was happening, and probably struggling against it, my bet is you would over-exert (trying like the dickens to kick up) to the point of getting a CO2 narc, inducing panic, and bringing on irrational behavior like spitting out your reg. Bottom line, you would either black out in a panic from excessive CO2 and not enough O2, or spit your reg, but either way you would drown and your body would likely never be found. It would be an ugly and, as others have said above, completely un-necessary death caused by stupidity, carelessness, or both.

he he he. That was a fun dive David. I was having so much fun I didn't want to come up. All my photos were of bubbles and by the time they cleared there was nothing to shoot. Everyone did very well and no one panicked.

The problem there is that after you are swept off the reef, the bottom drops off to well over 700' and you don't have a wall for a reference point to gauge your depth or to try and swim to. Not that you can see anything but light through the bubbles and even the bubbles were going down. I had never seen a current that strong there before or since. There was a couple other SB folks on that dive and they were amazed as well. It can be an "advanced" dive...:D

A diver died in 12' of water a few years back because he didn't have his air turned on. He jumped in the basin with doubles, turtled, and couldn't reach the valves to turn the air on and inflate his wing. His buddy had gone back to the parking lot to get something he forgot and ran into a friend. By the time he returned to the basin his buddy was dead.

Dive-aholic:
A diver died in 12' of water a few years back because he didn't have his air turned on. He jumped in the basin with doubles, turtled, and couldn't reach the valves to turn the air on and inflate his wing. His buddy had gone back to the parking lot to get something he forgot and ran into a friend. By the time he returned to the basin his buddy was dead.
so sad, he probably had poor training, my condolences to his family.

Not poor training, just overweight and out of shape. That's why he couldn't reach the valves. He jumped in the basin to relax in the water while he waited for his buddy. The worse part had to be laying there in 12' of clear water looking at the surface and not being able to get to it.

Why couldn't these divers reach behind them or remove their tanks and turn the valve on ?? Both reactions should be second nature to an experienced diver.

EastEndDiver:
Why couldn't these divers reach behind them or remove their tanks and turn the valve on ?? Both reactions should be second nature to an experienced diver.

He didn't even have to turn on the air, just ditch the gear and swim to the surface. !2 feet is pool depth.

Thrillhouse:
A few of my friends and I who have our open-water were discussing this, and weren't sure how to answer it. So, my question is out of pure curiosity, for curiosity's sake:

Say you're diving along a wall or something, or even in the open ocean. For some reason, you begin to sink, and are unable to swim up... Why isn't important. Anyway, you've still got a reasonable amount of air left, but are continuing to sink into an abyss of water... What happens to you, and how long do you remain conscious?

The possibilities are unlimited but the outcome is assured.
  • What happens - You die
  • How long do you remain conscious - until you lose consciousness
If you don't want to die then Why is important. If dying is okay then How isn't important since the end result is the same.

edit for typo

captain:
He didn't even have to turn on the air, just ditch the gear and swim to the surface. !2 feet is pool depth.

This summer, a guy died in QC. He was in 8 or 9 ft of water. So he almost just had to stand up. He had: 24 pounds on his weight belt + 22 pounds in his integrated weight bc + a 12 pounds steel plate for a total of 58 pounds :11: To top it, he had a steel tank.

the BC was not connected so when he tried to surface, and could not, he panicked.

both him and his buddy tried to ditch the belt without success.

lack of experience and knowledge was the conclusion of the authorities.

Captain..very true in that example.I was also reffereing to the "wreck diver" mentioned in a previous post who was found on the bottom with doubles.

Back
Top Bottom