Alterations for fins and footpockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, it's a shame I can't find one company that works for both. I really love the Mako blades but Cressi is legit the only footpocket that fits me properly (not too loose, not too tight). I've tried them all at this point, with and without fin socks. I feel like an unhinged Goldilocks.

The likelihood of being able to "glue" the rails and blades and have the two materials stay together in a dynamic environment is slim to none IMO. What kind of glue? How will you break them down for packing once glued together.

Drilling new holes in the blades if you insist:

You could put small holes in the blades to each side and use a zip ties rather than glue.

I would get the Cressi fins and spend some pool time swimming with them.

Good luck.

Can't you take both pair?

Swim a day with the Cressi's for comfortable foot pocket and see if the blade stiffness is too much. If so switch to the Makos.....

We saw folks with free diving fins, big cold water heel strap fins and 5mm hard sole boots and then people like me, using rubber snorkeling fins :)

The two free dive fin people on our boat never out swum me or my wife using her full foot Scubapro Twin Jet split fins :)

David Haas

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

I also would NOT try cutting, gluing, zip tying blades to a fin tendon.....Swimming over one or several hundred feet of beautiful blue water 100-300M away from a boat is not where you want to lose propulsion !!!!

We were even told if anyone saw an Oceanic Whitetip shark we'd be exiting the water. They're an open ocean predator and fairly curious on anything they come across out in the blue (!!!!!!!)

In such a rare encounter it might only be a bump or whatever. But you'd want to be able to swim slowly and efficiently not like a wounded fish with a flappy broken blade :(

Just one old guy's opinion!

DH

I'll likely bring both, even though it's a giant pain in the ass luggage-wise. I keep hoping the mako foot pocket will form better to my foot maybe the more I use it. It's not unbearably uncomfortable but when I put the Cressi on, I'm like "oh yeah, this is like butter."

I leave tomorrow so I don't really have a choice at this rate. Is what it is!

You can try puting a tight footpocket in boiling water, for a minute and then carefully put it on your foot while you wear a pair of cotton socks under the neoprene socks, It should give a little stretch to the pocket. Cool it with a wet towel. Mark the fins left and right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom