6th Annual after ThanksGiving Turkey Fry & CleanUp 11/29/08 Sponsored IPB ScubaQuest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
6th Annual :sblogo:
ThanksGiving Turkey Fry, Dive/Fossil Hunt, & Clean-Up
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Sponsored in part by:

ScubaQuest

Scuba Quest

Alrighty it is that time of year to set aside some time to spend with our SB family :yeahbaby: so the Saturday after Thanksgiving will be The Annual Turkey fry at Venice Beach w/ a little clean-up twist.

The address per our contact AnnMarie, Program Coordinator/Beaches
Sarasota County Parks and Recreation is:
1600 Harbor Drive, Venice FL 34285

A couple of notes on our permit:
Site South of last dune walk-over @ Sharky's Restaurant - south of pier
Use of 2-pole shelters at walkover for fryers (not permitted on beach)
10x20 Tent
No glass, no alcohol
**This is a clean-up so please while collecting your treasure - pick up any trash, line, etc. you find on your dive
Clean-up and luncheon debris may be disposed of in dumpster at S. Broahard Beach, just south of event site on Harbor Drive.
Pack In/Pack Out - Leave no trace :)

With the move we will have; spacious parking (no worry of a ticket & no looooong walks), showers & toilets, and an easy kayak launch for our kayakers.

A major plus this year, ScubaQuest wants in on the fun so they are going to be supplying a 10'x20' tent and several long tables (for us to place food on). :thumbs-up

We will start the day at 9:a.m. and go 'til about 2 or 3.

As always, everyone is welcome to this event. :turkey: Bring your kids, your non-diving SO's, whoever you'd like. This is always a great time.

If you'd like to join in, make a post and I will add you to the list :) As always, keep an eye on this first post for up-to-the dive information.

Hotels: Last year some came the night before, if you are thinking of doing this, may I suggest checking expedia.com or hotels.com? I do know the old Holiday Inn is now pet friendly, for those that would like to bring their fur kids.

Boat Rides are going to be provided FOC by Captain Bob, http://www.bluewaterexplorers.com/ He will be coming in as close as possible to pick up and take out to The Boneyard. The boat will act as a kind of ferry service. Captain Bob will have some flags on hand but please try and bring your own. Also, nothing was said of this, but I am sure if you choose to, tips are welcome.

FossilBabe will be on head to help anyone who might have questions on their finds. Additionally, for those that have never dived Venice, you may want to check this out from our very own ReefGuy: Tooth Finding Guide

Canned food drive by KBulla: "If everyone could commit to bringing a canned food or non-perishable food item to be donated to the Harry Chapin Food Bank or Salvation Army soup kitchen, I would be willing to deliver the goods. Things are so lean for even the "average" family, that I have to believe the homeless shelters and soup kitchens are going to be seriuosly hurting this year. Anything we can do for others, especially this time of year, will really make a difference overall." Note, KBulla will be with the fella in the fuzzy speedo :wink: :wink: Seriously though, I think we'll set up a box or something under our ScubaQuest tent :)

With that let's get ourselves sorted with who is coming and what they are bringing. We're going to need turkey's, fryers, side-dishes, ice, water, etc.:bananalama:

Attendees
ScubaQuest; 10'X20' tent, tables, trash receptacles, and coolers of ice.
Bob Eskew: Boat rides :yeahbaby: http://www.bluewaterexplorers.com/
NetDoc: Stickers, T-Shirts and trash bags
FossilBabe: Will be able to assist in identification of your treasures :)
BarbaraLove + 3: Green bean casserole
DeepSeaWolf, ManEater, Hammerhead: canned goods,a couple rolls of papertowels, and perhaps a bag of chips & dip
MissD: ketchup, salt&pepper, papertowels, bag of taters for fries
msscuba & Hubby: deviled eggs and potato salad
Moteman & his #1 dive bud aka his missus: PastaSalad
Safyrewulfie: corn casserole & brusell sprouts
DennisS: Stuffing (two trays)
dlscozz + 2 diving teens: desert - maybe peanut butter balls
Sadie199: chocolate pecan pie & candied yams (?)
Scuba Crab & PirateWench1: Cold sweet pea salad and her famous brownies
BlueWaterBrad & missus w/ 2 little sea squirts - Baked Chipotle Mac-n-Cheese
Agroyle & Missus w/ 3 sea squirts: How about a couple cases of water and a couple boxes of juice boxes/Capris for the young young ones were havin'?
Moose and the girls: Chips and a couple cases of soda
ReefRaker + 3: Fruit and veggie trays
dKramer: Couple cases of water & a bag of taters
ScubaBill1955: "girl" brownies, Fritos & sunchips.
littlejohn: now with us in spirit :sadangel:
divedivedivecfl + 2: Fryers, oil, Pepsi products, and plenty of ice
CardZard & Roxanne: 15lb thawed turkey
Truck1 & BlondeAmbition + 2 kiddos: Turkey and Turkey fryer
Brewone0to & Shelli: Turkey and the sweetest sweet potato concoction you will ever taste this side of the Florida State line
ScubJenny & Hermit Crab: Turkey and caramel corn. (Keep and eye out Jenny likes to hide the caramel corn :wink1::wink1:)
Goindrinkin & Jayde323: marshmallow pineapple salad
Cbulla, KBulla, and the gang! Apple crumb pie w/ fresh Michigan Apples - one for MissD and one for the group :tongue:
SalmonBoy97 & Deceptive D w/ two more: utensils, paper plates, turkey, candied pecans, pecan pie, and cheesecake
FossilBabe: Money for oil to divedivedivecfl for frying the turkey's
DebbyDiver: Money for oil to divedivedivecfl for frying the turkey's
EKremer: Money for oil to divedivedivecfl for frying the turkey's
Stu in FL: Money for oil to divedivedivecfl for frying the turkey's

Last edited:
Yeah baby... I am SO looking forward to this!

Having ScubaQuest help out will be wonderful. They'll be bringing a 10'X20' tent, tables and some trash receptacles. That will make this much, much easier.

Who's bringing the turkey??? :D

Will it be a tent sale?

No, no. The tent is for us to hang-out under and the tables are for the food. This way no one has to lug all that big stuff. :) I didn't realize 'til Doc said it but we have trash receptacles as well - which will help in keeping the tables nice and orderly and free of trash piling up.

Will it be a tent sale?
Walter, they might sell the tent, but only AFTER the event! :D

Hopefully you are coming... at least to inspect the tent before you give them an offer!

Hermit Crab and I are looking forward to this event again this year. Put us down for a turkey.

Hermit Crab and I are looking forward to this event again this year. Put us down for a turkey.

Maybe some carmel corn too? :blush: That stuff is delicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom