Reef House Resort review - Aug 2nd - Aug 11th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Top side photos:

0Is7QeyFnOmQUhedp3It0GKbX2BUwD-nyc_UqePRZm4=s197-p-no
Dive Boat
FA5YlDRQ7YjXrU5AuuVh_hl_WJVIANeKSSC9w3kcjPc=s197-p-no
Looking west from view deck
cruOlzTi4jjlQAdEZrIyJII6aQ0jLGM9krf-T2EhEYw=s197-p-no
Boat Slip with dive shop and storage behind
mcVYyErDWh_izph3uAfj7k4lMjnX1Ug3t14yQmC8Yq0=s197-p-no
Looking at bar from viewing deck. Dinner area is behind the bar

---------- Post added August 14th, 2014 at 02:52 PM ----------

XLX0jCDyOUC-nDsNIyDYKBkjLUYwygUZUg616XJtyxY=s197-p-no
Lion fish dinner

1wC6LaWlQCr3rvHo_0kSlRKDkBWu1ASgr7bcd8jLLTo=s197-p-no
Honduran Taco

An90wSkXubW1eJn6SsdJsTB1J-bkT3QwZYDIR34EqCo=s197-p-no
King Crab claw dinner

INDdRAawADfnXAnPWiajlD91V4efQEZAlqIte9fN6nA=s197-p-no
Lobster dinner

---------- Post added August 14th, 2014 at 02:54 PM ----------

EejiM6kMu_7Ko7llEm5R1LW2obDp-wmpG6CSnS7av3I=s197-p-no
Back half of the dive boat

AQ32_Z3X_-FaajKrNdzUONf3H-Lj2vyx4LalhBhRP2A=s197-p-no
Baby back rib for our last night's dinner

---------- Post added August 14th, 2014 at 02:55 PM ----------

---------- Post added August 14th, 2014 at 02:58 PM ----------

jAD5PslLHYvZfDRGKrTtX9l6dqFKu7wRYT0gD6wk6BU=s197-p-no
Looking east from viewing deck. Natural swim 'pool' at bottom of picture

The photos of the food make me think I might be hungry even after dinner. Did you have an option to get seconds?

The photos of the food make me think I might be hungry even after dinner. Did you have an option to get seconds?

The portion doesn't look too big but I was never hungry after we ate the meal. Actually there were a couple of meals where my daughter didn't finish and I finish for her and afterwards I regret it. So no we never asked for second but I am pretty sure if you ask, they will have more in the kitchen

BTW, the photo doesn't show any scale, the plate is at least 10" square and might even be 1 square feet so there's quite a bit of food on the plate.

Great review, I enjoyed my trip to RHR back in May of 2013. When I head back to Roatan I will still book with CCV over RHR though, I've done both and CCV is about as good as it gets.

The portion doesn't look too big but I was never hungry after we ate the meal. Actually there were a couple of meals where my daughter didn't finish and I finish for her and afterwards I regret it. So no we never asked for second but I am pretty sure if you ask, they will have more in the kitchen

BTW, the photo doesn't show any scale, the plate is at least 10" square and might even be 1 square feet so there's quite a bit of food on the plate.

If you ask, you can get seconds :blinking:

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 01:12 PM ----------

Call me sentimental, but during a few dives, I was looking at the healthy reef and I feel like I am visiting a ghost town. All the structures are there, but there was no life (well, there are small reef fish hanging out around the corals but if you just looking at the whole scenery, you don’t see schools of fish like I remembered from 20 years ago.

Talking about corals, I had requested to dive the Price Albert at CCV as both of my kids hasn’t done any wrack yet. Even though it’s a long boat ride of 40 minutes, they have no problem spending all those gas and took just the 3 of us there. The visibility while we were there was bad, only about 10 feet or less, while we were there, we also did the Cocoview Wall and I was quite surprise that the wall was in pretty bad shape (compare to what I remember from 1994 when I was there). Davit told me CCV has over 60 guests there that week.

I cannot command of the reef condition near CCV or west of CCV but from the 20 minutes or so that we dove there. I was glad that CCV was full when I tried to book it, the reef near RHR, and especially when we head east, the coral are much healthy and there are several sites where you can literally see a forest of Black Corals, just absolutely beautiful.

Problem - There were a few minor issues we have while we were there. They lost electricity one day but it was back after about an hour. We lost water one day (bad pump) and it was fixed after about 2 hours. Our toilet was was working but it was fixed when we finish our dives. Other than that, nothing I can complain about except those pesky mosquito and no-see-um, but that is not the resort's fault.

ilympt I was at RHR the week before you and then moved to CCV. I have some photos of Choco waiting for your party to return, I thought it rather unusual to see RHR at CCV, now I know what was up :cool2:
Great and accurate review.

StaggsSevin:

Since you prefer CocoView, I've got a question; did you have a preference for the diving done with one resort or the other, and if so, which and why?

I'm just trying to figure out whether you just like some things about the CocoView resort, or the diving itself. I've never been to Roatan but hope to go someday.

Richard.

Ginger or Maryann?

The debate can go on forever, and much for the same reasons.

It's good to consider the commonality shared by all South side diving (versus being lost in the West/West North debate).

Overall, South side diving is "advanced diving". No, not swirling currents and deep overhead environments. It is "advanced" in that intermediate experience divers can do the South side and depart quite disappointed. Noob divers love it because it's shallow, no current, and brightly washed in Sunlight (no small thing, but hard to conceptualize as a difference).

Advanced divers, those who have progressed beyond being amazed by (and shooting dozens of pix of) Lobsters and Parrotfish, yes, they will likely enjoy the South side as well. If a diver has developed close-in observational skills (one that always carries a magnifying glass and flashlight), one with great buoyancy skills... the South side's macro/micro nursery beckons. If you can not yet see that kind of critter, you will need to see larger more identifiable creatures- like fish and rocks... the day-dive ops and those that cater to cruise ship divers fill that niche.

Geographically, Roatan's destiny is written quite literally in stone, but confuses many. The island is always pictured lying straight E to W. But, in fact, it is angled SW to NE. Since prevailing winds blow up from the ESE, this has shaped the historical use of the island as well as the earth itself. All the nasty storms come from the North. This pushes the soil over to the Southern slopes. Harborages are thus on the Southern shores. Land that is nearby to harborages and historically safer from storm damage is prized nearby. Southern exposure land is not cheap. Very few dive operations of any kind are located on the South side for this specific reason. In terms of recent history (1970+), dive resorts began on the South side but due to limited roads and cheaper opportunities, this growth quickly shifted to West End day dive ops where the explosive expansion then occurred.

In terms of reef health along the South side, and the variations seen West to East- I find that most perceptions are roughly correct, but the actual and correct reasons for these differences are very shortsighted and either misinformed or outright distortions. It is most important for the local promoters to understand the why of the differences. Reef degradation is all about siltation and run-off from terrestrial development. Not the total number of divers on the reef. To claim otherwise is pure silliness and can quickly devolve into a misguided marketing tool (as in above quotes from RHR DMs). To you and me, this might be irrelevant, we want what we want, and how it is different is of no concern. Yet- short sighted, nonetheless.

The further one goes to the East along the Southern shore, there is less siltation because (wait for it) there is less development on land. Combine that though with the fact that any sedimentation produced along the Southern shore is only gently swept to the West, along the reef structure. (what little North shore sedimentation that exists is swept seaward because of the North's steep reef structures and currents)

In the CCV zone, the reef structure is close in-shore, and the vertical wall breaks straight down from 15' of depth to 90'. This zone is well protected from wind and wave. Thus, it may be very lush, but at the same time very delicate- and subject to sedimentation from the East.

In the RHR area, the reef presents as a gently sloping structure, coral heads spread out, the actual wall is beyond many shore diver's range. The area is well washed by wind and wave, causing what very little sedimentation to be washed away, and thus a bit more spartan.

The distinctions between localized diving of CCV and RHR are for most, quite subjective. I and a few others have been diving both areas quite a bit (versus here or there and way back when). It can vary widely depending on the day of the week.

The biggest distinction here between the areas for diving is the resorts themselves. One (CCV) is a well oiled diving machine, superb boats, great shore dive with wrecks, all that stuff that people rave about. The other (RHR) is something more etherial. The management at RHR didn't like it when I said it was a "throwback to the 1970's" (no less than the dislike of CCV management when we would call it "Dive Camp"). What conjures up one image for you, might not be what was intended by the speaker. Both terms are that of endearment, at least for me.

RHR was one of the first on Roatan, and it retains that attitude and vibe. It is what one would imagine would become of it if a bunch of free spirited hippies ran the place (Oh no, here I go again, what with the multi-imaged allusions!). CCV was started in the same time frame, but on a larger piece of land, by a master engineer, a man with a plan. But, RHR was conceived in the same way everybody else thought of dive resorts in that day... small, and very bed-and-breakfast-ish.

They both work quite well, for what they are, if you understand what you are buying when you plunk down the money. Very few really do. Unfortunately, the nature of humans and the internet inspires to great adulations for the selected choice that we just made, we paid our money for, it is distinctly an affirmation of our purchasing decision. (As in, "We just got back from Sandals and it was the bestest dive operation we've ever seen"... Inarguably correct, right?)

For me, I see that the reef structure in the vicinity of CCV is absolutely unique in the Caribbean. It is super shallow, vertical walls, always in Sunlight. I enjoy the 5x a day schedule, the actual dive-ability of the sheltered shore dive. If I were young and looking for a honeymoon diving getaway, I would instead be at RHR in a heartbeat.

No one place can be all things to all people.

As I've said before, I like both places. Here's how they stack up, for me. I guess this is sort of my very (very!) condensed trip report as well for July 25-August 9 at RHR and CCV.

Boat diving:
RHR. The "Pirates for Life" are fun, knowledgeable, and helpful, and typically you are going to be with a much smaller group (I won't torture you with just how small my group was on my latest visit). If conditions allow, you get a included night boat dive.
CCV. The DMs are friendly and knowledgeable and the boat captains helpful. But your're going to be with a large group (and I understand perfectly that to the others on my boat I am just another part of a large group). Sometimes as the week goes on the group will shrink as people start shore diving or night diving but you can't count on that. This trip my regulator was set up backwards once, and another guest on the boat got the wrong BC (young woman got dads identical BC) and with integrated weights ended up diving over-weighted (it worked out, but an uncomfortable dive). Multiple showers and rinse tanks.
Shore diving:
CCV. The front yard, the shallow reefs (which I had not truly explored until this trip, kicking myself!), the walls. Of course the PA. A protected entry / exit. Makes for just screaming night diving too. Convenience, your gear and tanks are walk up and grab it accessible 24X7. Multiple showers and rinse tanks. Did I say convenience?
RHR. The entry / exit at RHR is not protected and a stiff breeze can stir it up and you are among coral heads. That said there is a beautiful house wall out there.
Food:
RHR. I might have been at some sort of sit down place every night, for the quality. And you can get seconds.
CCV. Not bad. Plentiful. But not the quality of RHR, perhaps buffet vs. sit down as a comparison.
Facilities:
Closer to even than might be thought.
The machine that is Coco View (DM and now head of the dive op Jessie told me a few years ago there are some 70 employees? Sounds high but.. there are a lot for sure) keeps things up very well and looking good. On the other hand the green boat (with me on it) was stranded at Calvin's Crack by a malfunction. We had to wait for a tow and it was a long slow tow back to CCV. I don't condemn them for this but it illustrates that stuff happens occasionally to every op no matter how diligent.
RHR. Much smaller operation and at one point years ago things had been allowed to fall into varying states of disrepair or shabbiness. Continuing to work out of that hole. The week I was there the seawater pump for the sanitary system was having difficulties. Davy was working the issue but parts availability (or lack of) was frustrating. Captain Morgan (the dive boat) got me there and back every dive despite looking a little worn. The facilities in general were in better shape and cleaner than my last visit, when they were better than my visit previous to that!

CCV/RHR general coments: I thought my CCV and RHR rooms were pretty much dead even, while I had a fridge at CCV if you don't bring anything it's close to impossible to stock. RHR has a TV I've turned on once in my several visits.
RECO-provided electric power is beyond the control of either and both have backup generators.
I do believe that CCV had signs in the lavs to minimize paper in the sewer system. That's pretty much a requirement at RHR and Davy will tell you that during your welcome aboard. This is not unusual in that part of the world. We visitors need to get less freaked out over it, and maybe appreciate our systems here at home a little more.

Bottom line, for ME:
Cost / value? RHR! Small groups? RHR! Shore and night shore dives? CCV! Boat dives? RHR. I think I'll continue alternating. Wish I could afford a week at each, every year :cool2:

Good write-up Kevin. I have been to both and would go back to either but for the money and overall experience, RHR is the winner.

Kevin, cool that you have pictures of Choco on the boat waiting for us at the Prince Albert. Too bad we miss each other by 1 week.

Doc, thanks for the detail explanation of the ecosystem of the South Shore. And the explanation of 'Advanced' diving.

I am glad that both my kids are developing an 'eye' for macro subjects at such a young age. In addition to Davit pointing out little critters (especially in the first few days), both of them have spotted quite a few critters themselves towards the end of the week.

I absolutely agreed I wish I could stay in both resorts like Kevin did. I did that 19 years ago although it was AKR and CCV, but to do that with 3 people, just I need to make more money :)

Thanks for all for the comments of my 'accurate' review of RHR. I just hope that more people discovered this little gem and may be choose it over some other oft mentioned resorts on the island. As long as you understand what you are getting and are not looking for doing 5 dives a day (which you can IF the wind is not kicking up).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom