3rd Annual Venice Beach Fossil Hunting & Birthday BASH! (6/25/05)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll bring some cupcakes and other hi energy food.

Colin, you thinking of doing south of the pier for the second dive?

Most of the dive gear is set to go.
Tanks were picked up an hour ago, vehicles fueled, alarm clocks are set!
I'll definitely be bringing some high energy foods!
Lots of SHOO-GAR!!!
Not enough money for the trip AND a cabana.
Maybe for the next trip.
I picked up an interesting safety snausage today.
(I'll tell you what Holly called it later, OFFboard!)
It's by Oceanic, and converts to a wearable life vest!
It even has a place for a light stick!

So I didn't get to smoke those ribs today.. I didn't get home till 8pm and its raining... soooooo (did some serious physical work today) perhaps a fried chicken run is in order!

diver doh:
I am still going to try and make this, if for no other reason than I feel like getting wet... Probably be somewhere around 10AM or so when I get there (if I get there)....

Hmmm.. well needless to say, I did not make it.

Was a great Friday nite, went to the VA hospital in Gainesville for a sleep study....

And never got to sleep :(

So then I had to drive home (zombie) and get some sleep... Should have tried to drive to Venice and crash on the beach.

Anyway, I hope that all of the birthday people had a great birthday!

Last minute plans change, and we were able to sneak over for the day, including a surprise visit to Kris at her house before the dive! Hee Hee.
The weather was beautiful, and the seas were under 1 foot the whole day. Vis was better in the morning at say, 10 ft., but deteriorated to maybe 6-7 by days end. Was good seeing everybody again, and diving over there.
Hermit Crab had a good time with all the kids (she wasn't the only one!!), as they played in the sand and surf.
Happy Birtday again Kris, and Happy Birthday Jean!

It was the best of days, it was the typical of days.. the water was absolutely fantastically clear. For Venice Beach it was anyway. Not spectacular, but definitely fantastic in comparison to other times I've been there.

I'd love to say that I was focused on finding teeth 100% but I wasn't. There has been a bit of landscape change out there that made finding the "right areas" a little challenging, and once they were found, it was easy to pass out of the zone of "teeth" and into a void with relatively little effort.

Finally seeing mantis shrimp out there was pretty cool, actually seeing one do it's 'thing' was incredible.

There were the usual denzions of crabs out there, fishes, starfish, and sea horses..

Typical of me, I found a few bones as well.. one appears to be a peice of an ankle bone.. I'll post a pic once it gets ID'd.

Then there was the cool encounter. Ever have that moment of "someone is watching me?" Having a number of previous dives in this area, the only thoughts that went through my mind were "Hey, my buddies finally stopped making clouds 20' to the left of me and came over here where I'm at and finding teeth" and "hey, that was a close fin kick" as I felt the down whoosh of water on my neck/head/face and see the shape move by to my right... and I turn my head to see who it was and it was a LOGGERHEAD TURTLE checking me out! Having a turtle the same size as you are in the water is definitely cool. In a whopping 10-15' of vis is incredible, especially when it was they who found you and not visa-versa! I swam with her a good 45 seconds.... nice easy frog kicks to keep up with her gentle flipper movements.. watching each other. Without any real clues we both slowed and settled to the bottom about a yard apart side by side, my eyes turned towards her and she was definitely watching me with her eyes.. after what seemed a minute, probably more like a few moments we both turned opposite directions and swam off....

Thanks to Jenny who drove over with Hermitcrab and Ken and Holly for coming down and Jean for spending some time, and Jeff and Nikki.. Rick (GDI) and his nephew and Fred for the short visit! It was a great afternoon spent with a great group of people!

BTW Ken, Congrats on taking the salt water plunge! Thanks for showing us your sausage!

Most importantly - HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my wife Kris (KBulla) and Jean (and Walter though he wasn't there :wink:)

Nice weekend.

I felt a bit guilty the whole time, though. The best place I found to find teeth are where the reef used to be. They've dumped 5' of sand and turned the place into a desert:(. On the plus side, the teeth were nice. found my third nice Make upper tooth, two megs, two tigers, and 84 assorted others. These all had to be placed there with the dredged sand. I think the finding will get even better as the sand sifts out.

Nice vis. Definately better than I expected, or even hoped. Nice to see a bunch of old friends and meet some new ones.

As a nice little bonus, I think I've solved the mystery of the location of Golden Beach, and it's an easy place to find :).

Jenny, it was a nice surprise, and the kids really enjoyed playing with hermit crab again.

ReefGuy:
As a nice little bonus, I think I've solved the mystery of the location of Golden Beach, and it's an easy place to find :).

Jenny, it was a nice surprise, and the kids really enjoyed playing with hermit crab again.

Jeff, I'm sorry... once we got a new diaper on Xavier that solved that problem! :wink:

Echo that on the Jenny's surprise visit! I loved the look on Kris's face and how she jumped up and down when she saw Jenny yesterday.. then showed off her butterfly garden. :D

Finally got wet after 5 months. Had a good dive no pain in the shoulder. Sore back this morning though. Good to see you guys again.
Found about 40 teeth nothing bigger than an inch. As usual I gave them to the kids on vacation. Heading t boyton next week to give a boat dive shot. Looking forward to the next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom