6/27/09 7th Annual Venice Beach and Birthday Dive Bash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey for us newbys how about some names on the faces? I know Jamies and FBabes but the rest I dont remember from last year or I never met lol. Help me out! And I agree with Fbabe lets do a dinner out some time soon. Im hoping the weather holds for me and cubby on Thurs. Her first boat dive. Then I have to wait and see what work is going to do to me. The boss man wants to move people around so right now I m hanging sigh. Sorry I missed out on everything. But hey Fbabe question. That 3 inch meg I found 2 wks back, has a hole all the way thru on the root area. Leave it or have it filled? Cub and I call it the sweet tooth lol.

I wish I had found this site last week. I would have so been on Venice Beach diving instead of in ski ally snorkeling and getting sun burnt with my nephews. When is the next Beach Bash? Oh yeah how was the viz?

Edit: Doh nevermind the question about when is the next one the thread title kind of answers that question. :D

Northport--Well, if you can handle chilly water, it's become tradition to do a Thanksgiving (Sat. after, actually) turkey fry as well. Water's a little tougher to brave, however.

Keep watching threads though....it's a regular haunt for lots of us, and people will often post that they're heading out. While I can't speak for everyone, most here on the board enjoy meeting new dive buddies.

And, welcome, btw!!

What a great weekend! Yale was the first to show up for the event. I can't even remember how long it's been since I've seen him, but it has to have been several years. Everyone else slept in, we were in the water before anyone else arrived.

Diving was much better than anticipated. Viz was about 4-5 feet on Saturday and 5-6 feet yesterday. We're resting up, counting teeth (OK, so I'm the only one counting), and logging dives today. We'll be hitting it again on Wednesday and Thursday. Saturday, Nancy and I had 4 hours 57 minutes of bottom time (almost missed the birthday cake) and came up with approximately 700 teeth each, including Nancy's beautiful (3¼") Meg. I think you all (even those not at the beach) probably heard her whooping when she found it. Yesterday, we headed back up with a non-SB friend and dived it again. We only had 3 hours 23 minutes bottom time and I found about 450 teeth (Nancy snagged about 550 - the girl is good!) and a Flounder each (Also a first for Nancy). Supper was excellent last night!

It was great to see everyone, I wish more folks had shown up.

Walter I found 2 2-3 inch megs on my last dive on Sunday. I also found over 200 other teeth. I got almost 6 hours bottom time! Ya Got to love shallow water diving! I saw a couple of small founders, some small groupers and other fish out by the shelf. I'll try to post a picture later.

Loved seeing everyone and who knows, may show up for the Turkey later! Heck, come up here and dive in Lake Lanier in October then tell me your water is chilly! :)

Mike

I've dived Lanier in '85 and in '87. It wasn't all that cold (70 in '85 and 80 in '87). I have actually dived cold water in other places - Siberia and Lake Michigan (my coldest dives ever) come immediately to mind as does California and the Gulf in the winter.

We get down to 40-50 below the thermo. I've dove Wisconsin in October and Monterey, Ca several times...:)

Here you go! Darn it, after looking closer these are probably Mako...but I'm gettin closer!

Attachments

• venice_megs1024.jpg
    venice_megs1024.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 45
  • venice_megs2_1024.jpg
    venice_megs2_1024.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 49
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom