Trip Report Aruba Jan.21 - Feb.4, 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Had the opportunity to make a 2nd trip to Aruba (first time was in 2009) and get some diving in. Will try to share a little info about different aspects of the trip.

Flights, arrival, and departure: Flew American Airlines with no problems. The Verifly app can be used, but there really is no purpose for it. An embarkation/disembarkation card (immigration form) needs to be completed ahead of time online to enter Aruba. When leaving Aruba, the process is 1) checking in with your airline and dropping of checked luggage 2) going through passport control. 3) security check (there is no TSA) 4) pick up checked luggage and then drop it back off 5) go through U.S. Customs (Global Entry is accepted - no line versus long line for everyone else 6) another security check and again, no TSA line. YOU DON"T HAVE TO GO THROUGH CUSTOMS IN THE U.S. Everyone will tell you to get to the airport 3+ hours ahead of time to get through everything. We were there 3 hours early on a Saturday and were sitting at our gate in 45 minutes.

Car rental and taxis: Good luck! Small cars may be available. We were a group of 4 with checked and carryon luggage but we couldn't get a vehicle big enough for us - either none available or the cost was way to high. Two of us took taxis to where we stayed and back to the airport, while the other 2 picked up and dropped off the rental at a location not at the airport. Some car rentals had no cars available at all. Taxis are available and pretty reasonable.

Weather: Sunny and high of 82º F almost everyday. Sometimes rain in early morning, but done by 7:30 am. Only had 1 day where it rained most of the day.

Things to do: There is much to do in Aruba aside from diving. Beaches, sightseeing, atv/utv's, horseback riding, biking, some museums, hiking, and all types of water activities (parasailing, jet skis, day/night sailing, snorkeling, and more.)

Short blurb about where we stayed: Gold Coast Residences - a gated community on the north end of island in Noord. Townhouses, homes, and other types of units that have whatever decor the owner put in. The townhouse we had was clean and livable - enough for me. A couple of nice pools and a fitness facility and restaurant in the clubhouse. A few minutes drive to nice beaches and some good restaurants.

Restaurants: There's no shortage of good restaurants. A few have to be reserved a day or 2 in advance. Tierra Del Sol, a gated community with a golf course, and nice view was my favorite.

Diving: We dove with Palm Beach Divers. Good location on Palm Beach (the high-rise hotels.) The routine is to be at the shop 8:30 am to check in, get a brief description of the dive plan, and be assigned to a DM. We walked to the boat (2-3 minute walk) about 9:00. The maximum number of divers on the boat was 13. Nice boat - fast and big enough to accommodate divers with spaces to stow bags to keep dry. Farthest site we went to was about 15 minutes away. Back of boat is covered and front gets sun. When one group was getting ready to dive, the 2nd group went to the front of the boat. Giant stride entries got everyone in the group into the water pretty fast. The op does try to say on a schedule, so dive times will be limited to about 45-50 minutes. I lived with it, although I was saddened after several dives to see I had as much as ½ tank of air still left. Other than not diving air, PBD's was a good op.

Dive sites included wrecks and reefs. The Antilla wreck is the largest wreck in the Caribbean. The end nearer the surface is a popular snorkel spot also. Reefs are not very colorful, but occasionally came across a colorful area. Common reef critters, but did see a couple of different things I don't recall seeing before - a large mantis shrimp and a school of barracuda, Water temps were pretty constant at 79º F. Visibility was okay, better some days than others. A few of the dives became drift dives - not very fast but still an effort if you tried to go against the current - reminiscent of dives I did in 2009.

Will share a few pics in next post.

A few pictures - used the Dive+ app on most if not all of them - so yes, I cheated!!

Attachments

• IMG_8581.jpeg
    IMG_8581.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8461.jpeg
    IMG_8461.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8463.jpeg
    IMG_8463.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_8467.jpeg
    IMG_8467.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8332.jpeg
    IMG_8332.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8416.jpeg
    IMG_8416.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCI4174.jpeg
    DSCI4174.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8526.jpeg
    IMG_8526.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 91
Wild color on that mantis shrimp! Don't recall seeing any like that before. Glad to see an Aruba report. It has such strong name recognition amongst the U.S. (non-diving) public, I'm surprised we don't see more.

YOU DON"T HAVE TO GO THROUGH CUSTOMS IN THE U.S.
Wonder what the reasoning is for that?

Car rental and taxis: Good luck! Small cars may be available. We were a group of 4 with checked and carryon luggage but we couldn't get a vehicle big enough for us - either none available or the cost was way to high.
How far in advance did you start trying to secure one? Do you think this would be a problem if one were reserved well in advance?

I've been to Aruba twice on cruise ship stops; never dove there. How do you think it stacks up as a dive destination? Is it mainly a mixed activities option with good topside offerings plus some diving, or does it deserve to be seen as a competitive option where diving is the main point of the trip?

What was your impression of overall trip cost (e.g.: housing, restaurant food, car rental, airfare)? Granted, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison (e.g.: you stayed in a gated community; I imagine that's way different than Casa Mexicana or Suites Bahia in Cozumel), but did you find Aruba a pricy destination (e.g.: like Grand Cayman), mid.range (e.g.: Bonaire, some Roatan options, Belize) or budget (e.g.: some Cozumel options, Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan)?

I took a look at Palm Beach Divers Aruba's website. Looks like they offer 2 morning and 1 afternoon dives, and you can save a good sized chunk of money bringing your own gear.

Wild color on that mantis shrimp! Don't recall seeing any like that before. Glad to see an Aruba report. It has such strong name recognition amongst the U.S. (non-diving) public, I'm surprised we don't see more.

How far in advance did you start trying to secure one? Do you think this would be a problem if one were reserved well in advance?

I've been to Aruba twice on cruise ship stops; never dove there. How do you think it stacks up as a dive destination? Is it mainly a mixed activities option with good topside offerings plus some diving, or does it deserve to be seen as a competitive option where diving is the main point of the trip?

What was your impression of overall trip cost (e.g.: housing, restaurant food, car rental, airfare)? Granted, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison (e.g.: you stayed in a gated community; I imagine that's way different than Casa Mexicana or Suites Bahia in Cozumel), but did you find Aruba a pricy destination (e.g.: like Grand Cayman), mid.range (e.g.: Bonaire, some Roatan options, Belize) or budget (e.g.: some Cozumel options, Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan)?

I took a look at Palm Beach Divers Aruba's website. Looks like they offer 2 morning and 1 afternoon dives, and you can save a good sized chunk of money bringing your own gear.
The reason that one does not have to go through customs stateside, is that US government rents a small portion of land in Aruba airport for US customs. It is very convenient in the sense of layovers once back in the US (no need to exit separately and pick up and drop off luggage or wait in line). My experience is similar to @jonhall as far as taking 45-60 minutes to go through both Aruban and US customs in Aruba airport, except one time when it took 2&1/2 hrs. So I still get there 3 hrs prior to departure… just in case :)

Wild color on that mantis shrimp! Don't recall seeing any like that before.
Still trying to identify the specific type.

We booked the trip in June of 2022. My buddy was in charge of the rental car. He started looking the first week of January to have it available for the 21st. I'll say that my wife and I generally look for rental cars when we travel (or are responsible for getting the car) within weeks of booking a trip which probably would have been a great idea for this trip.

Also looked online into 4 and 8 hour atv or utv rentals for the day which were offerings. None were available until April though they were available if signing up for guided tours.
What was your impression of overall trip cost
We travel mostly by way of our timeshare or our friends vacation club. Our share for the 2 weeks we spent: Room $480 (included $130 utility fee); Car rental $275 and $19 for gas. We (wife and I) spent ~$950 on restaurants/groceries - about on par of what we might spend in 2 weeks on Grand Cayman and ~$300+ less than what we would spend in Cozumel. I would put the overall price a notch or 2 below Grand Cayman.

Is it mainly a mixed activities option with good topside offerings plus some diving,
I think this best sums it up.....but others may have a different opinion. Aruba has enough sites to keep a diver busy for a week or 2 and is probably a good spot for divers early in their dive count, but it's not on par with Cayman, Coz, and other locations that divers take dedicated dive trips to.

Had the opportunity to make a 2nd trip to Aruba (first time was in 2009) and get some diving in. Will try to share a little info about different aspects of the trip.

Flights, arrival, and departure: Flew American Airlines with no problems. The Verifly app can be used, but there really is no purpose for it. An embarkation/disembarkation card (immigration form) needs to be completed ahead of time online to enter Aruba. When leaving Aruba, the process is 1) checking in with your airline and dropping of checked luggage 2) going through passport control. 3) security check (there is no TSA) 4) pick up checked luggage and then drop it back off 5) go through U.S. Customs (Global Entry is accepted - no line versus long line for everyone else 6) another security check and again, no TSA line. YOU DON"T HAVE TO GO THROUGH CUSTOMS IN THE U.S. Everyone will tell you to get to the airport 3+ hours ahead of time to get through everything. We were there 3 hours early on a Saturday and were sitting at our gate in 45 minutes.

Car rental and taxis: Good luck! Small cars may be available. We were a group of 4 with checked and carryon luggage but we couldn't get a vehicle big enough for us - either none available or the cost was way to high. Two of us took taxis to where we stayed and back to the airport, while the other 2 picked up and dropped off the rental at a location not at the airport. Some car rentals had no cars available at all. Taxis are available and pretty reasonable.

Weather: Sunny and high of 82º F almost everyday. Sometimes rain in early morning, but done by 7:30 am. Only had 1 day where it rained most of the day.

Things to do: There is much to do in Aruba aside from diving. Beaches, sightseeing, atv/utv's, horseback riding, biking, some museums, hiking, and all types of water activities (parasailing, jet skis, day/night sailing, snorkeling, and more.)

Short blurb about where we stayed: Gold Coast Residences - a gated community on the north end of island in Noord. Townhouses, homes, and other types of units that have whatever decor the owner put in. The townhouse we had was clean and livable - enough for me. A couple of nice pools and a fitness facility and restaurant in the clubhouse. A few minutes drive to nice beaches and some good restaurants.

Restaurants: There's no shortage of good restaurants. A few have to be reserved a day or 2 in advance. Tierra Del Sol, a gated community with a golf course, and nice view was my favorite.

Diving: We dove with Palm Beach Divers. Good location on Palm Beach (the high-rise hotels.) The routine is to be at the shop 8:30 am to check in, get a brief description of the dive plan, and be assigned to a DM. We walked to the boat (2-3 minute walk) about 9:00. The maximum number of divers on the boat was 13. Nice boat - fast and big enough to accommodate divers with spaces to stow bags to keep dry. Farthest site we went to was about 15 minutes away. Back of boat is covered and front gets sun. When one group was getting ready to dive, the 2nd group went to the front of the boat. Giant stride entries got everyone in the group into the water pretty fast. The op does try to say on a schedule, so dive times will be limited to about 45-50 minutes. I lived with it, although I was saddened after several dives to see I had as much as ½ tank of air still left. Other than not diving air, PBD's was a good op.

Dive sites included wrecks and reefs. The Antilla wreck is the largest wreck in the Caribbean. The end nearer the surface is a popular snorkel spot also. Reefs are not very colorful, but occasionally came across a colorful area. Common reef critters, but did see a couple of different things I don't recall seeing before - a large mantis shrimp and a school of barracuda, Water temps were pretty constant at 79º F. Visibility was okay, better some days than others. A few of the dives became drift dives - not very fast but still an effort if you tried to go against the current - reminiscent of dives I did in 2009.

Will share a few pics in next post.
Great review pal... I am headed down in April for the first time. This is exactly what I am looking for. Tkx

The reason that one does not have to go through customs stateside, is that US government rents a small portion of land in Aruba airport for US customs. It is very convenient in the sense of layovers once back in the US (no need to exit separately and pick up and drop off luggage or wait in line). My experience is similar to @jonhall as far as taking 45-60 minutes to go through both Aruban and US customs in Aruba airport, except one time when it took 2&1/2 hrs. So I still get there 3 hrs prior to departure… just in case :)
If you don’t have global entry, it can take a while to get through the process on the way out - especially on a Saturday.

I think this best sums it up.....but others may have a different opinion. Aruba has enough sites to keep a diver busy for a week or 2 and is probably a good spot for divers early in their dive count, but it's not on par with Cayman, Coz, and other locations that divers take dedicated dive trips to.
Thanks for honest write up/commentary. Have been kicking around this destination to complete the vacation diver trilogy with Bonaire and Curacao. My tourist dollars might go elsewhere, but still early in research gathering.

Bringing in giur own gear is always cheaper anywhere. Aruba is expensive. I live here. It is not of Aruba is a good sport for diving: It matters who you are diving with.
He/She will take you out at sites where natives dive! And even maybe take you diving at the north east side of the island uyuyuy....

Bringing in giur own gear is always cheaper anywhere. Aruba is expensive. I live here. It is not of Aruba is a good sport for diving: It matters who you are diving with.
He/She will take you out at sites where natives dive! And even maybe take you diving at the north east side of the island uyuyuy....
For safety reasons. and the amercan tourist is a pain, we take you out at tourist "attraction" which are average places to go. If you are hble enough and keep your attitude home, many of is are willing to show you places we take care, reef proyects ert, lab proyects etc. Same thing gor Bonaire and Curacao. We
sometimes take you out and the only thing you pay us the air you consume and we become friends. we invite you to eat with is at the table.... attitude attitude

Back
Top Bottom