Aruba and Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MitchL999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My Wife and I are planning our honeymoon to Aruba and Curacao in February. We are spending a couple days on Aruba first then flying to Curacao for a week. I’m an advanced diver and she is an open water diver. Looking for advice on lodging, dive sites and top side activities. We are thinking a couple days in an all inclusive in Aruba then perhaps Avila beach hotel, lions dive or something similar in Curacao. We want to be able to walk to different restaurants and bars in Curacao (chill night life with music that caters to the 30 and up crowd) and would love access to a house reef for snorkeling.
We plan to do one day of diving in Aruba then 3-4 days of diving in Curacao. We also want to rent a car in one or both places and explore beaches and do other top side activities including hiking the peak in Curacao.
Where do folks like to stay in Aruba for AI(moderate price)? Any hotel there with a house reef or any snorkeling? What is the must see dive site(s) in Aruba? What are the best beaches and top side activities?
Where do people like to stay in Curacao? Prefer adults only if possible. We like good food and a chill vibe with a beach bar, pool, snorkeling and my wife would like a spa day. We would like easy access to a dive shop and want to do some boat dives. What is the best shop to do boat dives with? Any restaurant recommendations?
A perfect day might look like 2 tank boat dive in the AM, a nice lunch at the hotel/resort or local restaurant, a massage for my wife and snorkeling for me at the house reef in the afternoon, lounging at the beach bar for happy hour then walking around to different local bars/restaurants for drinks in the evening (we aren’t looking for party atmosphere, more lounge and cocktail bar atmosphere).
Thanks in advance! Sorry for the rambling post… hopefully some of you will know just what we’re after and will be able to chime in.

What is the must see dive site(s) in Aruba?
We will be in Aruba in a couple of weeks - was last there in 2009. Only stayed a week in 2009 - stayed on beach (Manchebo Beach Resort) - didn't rent a car but multiple restaurants were walking distance. Dive op and tour company picked us up and dropped us off. Taxis were reasonable and easy to get.

Staying near Palm Beach this time for 2 weeks, but not on beach. Palm Beach is a hotel/resort area. Not sure if any are AI. Dive ops and restaurants are located there. Car rental won't be an issue for you since there are only 2 of you (we have 4 with lots of luggage - we're getting a midsize!!) I'm looking at using Palm Beach Divers.

The Antilla wreck is the most popular dive site - huge freighter - snorkeling groups go there also. Dive sites visited will be based on conditions that day. There are quite a few dive sites to visit.

There are many sites to see and things to do in Aruba - best way to get to many would be an ATV/UTV tour. You might get dirty, but it was one of the most fun things we did on previous visit. Not sure that you can drive in a regular car to many of the touristy sites. Lots of day sails and sunset cruises available, as well as other water activities. Lots of beaches to choose from - they all look alike in Aruba, at least to me.

Following is a link to a spreadsheet I put together of Aruba dive ops. See post #2,

We have been to Curacao a few times and prefer the Coral Estates area. We rent a house (3 couples) and stay for 3-4 weeks each year. That area has house and condos to rent. The condo area has a common pool, very nice spy, and 3 restaurants. Dive shop right next door with a nice house reef to dive. Depth can be 130 feet if you choose. We will be there from Jan 21 to Feb 12th.

I like palm beach area in Aruba (high rise hotel area specifically). Several AIs that way too. Many restaurants that way too. I do not know about the bars, but I am sure there are a few - upscale touristy area. A lot of things to see if you rent a car, however if you are only there for a couple of days… and you want to squeeze some diving in…

Thanks for the replies. So we’ve decided to skip Aruba and fly right to Curacao. We’re going to split our time between Sunscape doing some boat dives with ocean encounters and then several nights at scuba lodge. Once at scuba lodge we plan to rent a car to check out beaches and do some shore diving. I also want to do a couple boat dives with go west.
Is go west the best shop to do both Watamula and Mushroom Forrest? What are other favorites and what are some of the best wall dives?

I stay out west and dive Watamula with Go West. Since that’s the only site I boat dive, I check their schedule as soon as I arrive on island and make plans around it. I shore dive the rest of the time.

I stay out west and dive Watamula with Go West. Since that’s the only site I boat dive, I check their schedule as soon as I arrive on island and make plans around it. I shore dive the rest of the time.
Good idea. We plan to do Alice and Wonderland while over there as well. What are your other favorites?

Is go west the best shop to do both Watamula and Mushroom Forrest?
Probably and maybe the only one. They’re a good shop and the closest, it’s a long boat ride from most anywhere else. Then you’re there to shore dive Alice in Wonderland.

If GW doesn’t do a combined Watamula/Mushroom Forest trip anymore and you only head out there one day, do Watamula. MF used to be pretty great, but is nothing like it used to be when it originally became famous. It’s fine, but storms and diver pressure have changed much. The “best dive” type lists in glossy magazines never caught up.

Coral Divers at Coral Estate is in range of at least Mushroom forest, but if they do it at all I suspect it is based on demand and not reliably scheduled like Go West does.

For Watamula, go with Alwest cause they are nearby. For MF go with the dive shop right there in the bay (forgot the name).

Last year Go West did Black Coral Garden as the other dive with Watamula, and it was on Thursday. MF was on Sunday with some other site.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom