3rd Annual Venice Beach Fossil Hunting & Birthday BASH! (6/25/05)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Fred, it was good seeing you again, its been too long! Glad to hear the diving was good for ya... hopefully will see ya again soon!

Oh Man!!!! :banghead: I don't check the boards for a while and I miss a SB party. :11: Oh well I was to busy at our house working anyway.....still re-building from Charley. Now that the weather is getting warmer I'll have to make sure I check in more often.

Happy Belated B-Day there Kris :partytime and the turtle story was pretty cool there Colin.

I promise to keep more up to date from now on.

Wildbill:cop_2:

Thanks, Yale!

And good luck on the "homework"!

Colin's turtle story is pretty cool, but you didn't hear about the rescue mission Holly, Ken and I went on after diving. Heading back to the Jeep, I saw a mother duck with one tiny duckling circling around a storm drain and quacking like crazy. Holly went to look and confirmed what we thought: ducklings trapped in the drain.

We waited for Smokeaire to move his vehicle as he was parked on the drain cover, and Ken and I lifted the cover. Mom duck stood by watching. I hopped in the drain and started scooping up ducklings. I think I got three out before the rest got scared and ran down the tunnel under the street. I hopped out and let mom go to work. She waddled up to the drain and quacked intently, calling the ducklings back. After a few moments, they were back. I managed to get a few more before they took off again. Mom duck came back to the drain and called her babies back. I jumped down and scooped up the last three in one handful before they had a chance to run off again. Mom was extremely grateful and waddled off with her brood in tow. There had been eight ducklings in total that had ended up in that drain.

Being able to help out just completely made my day. Warm fuzzies!!

Love, Kris

Well I am truly sorry I couldn't make it, I was still doing my AOW dives, We ended up at Blue Grotto and Devil's Den,,,, way cool. to bad tohere were to many OW students there or it would have been awsome.....

Anyhow Happy B-Day guys and see ya soon

That's a given at Blue Grotto. When I did my OW classes there, there were at least 3 others at the same time.

Contrats on the new cert (I am, of course, assuming you passed :O)!

SharkBaite:
Well I am truly sorry I couldn't make it, I was still doing my AOW dives, We ended up at Blue Grotto and Devil's Den,,,, way cool. to bad tohere were to many OW students there or it would have been awsome.....

Anyhow Happy B-Day guys and see ya soon

Hey , my thanks to all that made our Birthdays such a wonderful day...Had a blast snorkeling for shells...
And of course , the company was superb! And now I know what the Scuba C..... is ... :11:
I made it up to Ginnie and got in my "birthday night dives" just fine.

Thanks again for a wonderful time...Maybe next time , I'll remember to put on some more sun-screen...My knees...(OUCH)

Hope to see you all soon !!!!
I have to go shark toothie diving there , FOR SURE!!!

I was just amazed at the haul you guys made on the 1st dive...For a newbie at this , I was most impressed...Some of those teeth were just awesome...And that you know what they are by just looking at them... :wink:

Jean

Of course I passed. I'm Still breathing.....

Kris, you forgot to mention that you and I got new haircuts off the beach. I didn't know so many boats held BARBERS!!!! We could hear the metal prop cutting into the water as we flattened out in 15' fsw. It suddely got pitch black as a boat went overhead slamming us down with the propwash and surface pressure. Prior to that I watched two boats cut between dive flags and the beach, one within thirty feet of Jenny coming in from her second dive. I only found two teeth. One on the beach by the parking lot, and one just before I surfaced. I did collect a LOT of sand dollars! Considering they were in a mesh bag, I have a bunch of them that are still intact.
It was also cool to show off the Mega-SCHNAUSAGE on the beach. That strap is a wonderful thing if used correctly. The jokes will be forever haunting us all! I hope to have my scanner online by the end of the week and I will HAVE to show the instructions on how to use the dive sausage/surface interval time occupier!
Holly's back is now blistering from her sunburn! What's odd is, it blistered worse where the sunscreen was! I, on the other hand, only burned where not covered by the black t-shirt and BDU's I dove in. :) Minor irritations on upper forearms and neck. Lil' B only got a bit of burn on his face and ears. It was awesome seeing so much wildlife, even on such a desert terrain as it was. I started the dive with two buddies ended up with a different one. Fortunately, this group has enough confidence in each other to keep track of who is where when we come out. It was awesome getting my first SW dive in. Gibbon still has me beat with AOW and Nitrox though. As well as a dive on the Grove. We missed you, man! Next time, I'm buying a 12 gauge bang stick for the boats! That was ridiculous!

Good job gettin this thread back on track after Brian so brutally tried to hijack it with a trip report about something completely different!!

Ken, welcome to Venice Beach... where boaters don't know any of the rules of the water, including the law enforcement! Wait, that could apply to Ft Lauderdale to.. but thats another story.

And thats 3 teeth, Mister, I sort of put one out for you as an example of just how openly visible the buggers are on the bottom... now, next time yawl will follow when I try to get you out to the good areas!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom