Charters in Palm Beach and Broward Counties opened back up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, the Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1st through November 30th.

Very true per NOAA/NHC. However tropical storms have been rare in June and July but not unheard of. The most likely timeframe for hurricanes and tropical storms on the southeast coast is from early Aug through Oct with Sep the peak month for activity. That is what I was referring to.

Might want to check your data. FL is in far better shape than NY and other northeast cities even looking at Miami. Most recent stats have FL past peak and continuing to trend downward. As we start to slowly open up the state our officials are monitoring the data closely. I have no doubt they will lock things down again if the data trends in the wrong direction.

IMHE: Metrics most used by media and WH
Florida:
IHME | COVID-19 Projections

New York

Take a look. Florida had it's 2nd highest # of daily deaths on April 28. The model (based on social distancing restrictions now being lifted) shows FL hitting Zero on June 22. Same model for NY based on social distancing restrictions still in place projects Zero on May 28th.

No one has said Floridians can't get it from Floridians. It's just silly to make it sound like any of us insinuated that.

Then why would anyone need to STAY AWAY (esp from NYC)? And one or two posts here. maybe I lost something in translation. I am silly like that. At least not that that is covered sounds like we're in agreement on the rest of it.

Then why would anyone need to STAY AWAY (esp from NYC)? And one or two posts here. maybe I lost something in translation. I am silly like that. At least not that that is covered sounds like we're in agreement on the rest of it.

As is typical this thread has gone WAY off topic!

Florida's population, especially South FL, varies massively based upon the season due to tourism and snowbirds. Shutting all of that down has helped to limit the population of people out and about along with all of the other isolation methods. Snowbirds have either left or are getting ready to. If tourism were to pick back up in earnest too soon it will increase significantly the population out at the beaches, restaurants, etc. in many communities especially South FL. More people = more potential virus carriers = greater risk of exposure. Get it yet?

It has nothing to do with whether the virus can also spread among locals. Of course it can!

IMHE: Metrics most used by media and WH
Florida:

New York

Take a look. Florida had it's 2nd highest # of daily deaths on April 28. The model (based on social distancing restrictions now being lifted) shows FL hitting Zero on June 22. Same model for NY based on social distancing restrictions still in place projects Zero on May 28th.

Those projections for Florida have been shown to be grossly exaggerated and inaccurate before. It's one data source. The FL stats (cases, deaths, hospitalizations) have been far better than these models projected 4-5 weeks ago. Look at our per-capita stats for cases and deaths. We are currently down at something like 24th out of 50 states.

But again ... this discussion is completely off topic. Palm Beach County and Broward are letting charter boats run again under tight restrictions. That was the only point to me creating the thread. I wanted other locals to be aware of the change.

As is typical this thread has gone WAY off topic!

Florida's population, especially South FL, varies massively based upon the season due to tourism and snowbirds. Shutting all of that down has helped to limit the population of people out and about along with all of the other isolation methods. Snowbirds have either left or are getting ready to. If tourism were to pick back up in earnest too soon it will increase significantly the population out at the beaches, restaurants, etc. in many communities especially South FL. More people = more potential virus carriers = greater risk of exposure. Get it yet?

It has nothing to do with whether the virus can also spread among locals. Of course it can!

I said that opening up too soon was a different topic than who could spread to whom. And a valid discussion but a separate data point. Got it yet?

More people = more potential virus carriers = greater risk of exposure. Get it yet?

I assume that you are going to cancel your reservations on all of those dive boats so as to have less people out and about? Right? So as to be consistent with you own message? We should all do our part to reduce exposure. Correct?

But again ... this discussion is completely off topic. Palm Beach County and Broward are letting charter boats run again under tight restrictions. That was the only point to me creating the thread. I wanted other locals to be aware of the change.

I am genuinely interested in the Charter Boat 'tight restrictions' . What sort of mitigation is being suggested to reduce risk on a small boat.

I am ITCHING to get back on our local charter boats in the Seattle area. But it really does need to be safe to do so.

I am genuinely interested in the Charter Boat 'tight restrictions' . What sort of mitigation is being suggested to reduce risk on a small boat.

I am ITCHING to get back on our local charter boats in the Seattle area. But it really does need to be safe to do so.
Here is an example from Pura Vida. DIVE PROCEDURES FOR COVID-19 : Pura Vida Divers Several operators have similar posts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom