New Dive Charter: Palm Beach Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gamon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like a new dive boat has come to town. They're docked in the same marina as Walkers and a few others.

I was going to check them out next month during my next trip but not I went to their website to check out the schedule and the policies and there it was:

"4 divers minimum".

So here we have a new charter that is less likely to fill up their boat because they don't have an established clientele, why would I book with them when I can go with another charter in the same marina who is less likely to cancel due to lack of divers? Also the only rental tanks available are AL80s.

The whole "we won't run if we can't make a profit" policy of many charters is questionable to me. I fly from out of state as do many others, so we can dive our favorite spots. Here we are paying for airfare, usually lodging as well, missing several days or more of work, possibly traveling the better part of a day in each direction, only to be told the afternoon prior to a dive "sorry we won't make any money we're canceling you're out of luck".

Can you imagine if airlines worked this way? Sometimes you gotta take a hit on the profits in exchange for good customer service especially when you're the new guy in town. And in West Palm Beach most of the reefs and wrecks are right outside the inlet so even the gas isn't all that much. I'd think a new charter would make adjustments especially when it's a short run to the dive sites.

Anyway Walkers is looking good for me once again. They haven't disappointed me yet. They're also $25 cheaper for a two tank dive. And they have steel 100s.

Do you have a name for the new operation?

I use 2 ops in Boynton, 2 or 3 in West Palm, and 1 in Jupiter. Not infrequently, I need to change ops, usually sea conditions, but sometimes number of divers. I'm often successful by simply calling one of the other operators I use.

The title of this thread is the name of the charter.

With Pura Vida, Walkers, Narcosis, Black Flag plus a few smaller boats catering to hunters, I don’t really see room for another to be successful. Palm Beach is popular, but it’s not Key Largo.

As for the 4 minimum to run, they all have that rule I believe. The only difference, as you noted, is with established charters you have less of an issue booking a charter that gets canceled because they don’t have 4 divers. But it happens even with established charters, especially mid-week.

WOW they are up to $125 for a 2 tank dive. That is really getting crazy!

Home - Palm Beach Scuba

The website looks pretty thin to me, I would expect them to show some bios and pictures of staff.

Edit: However: they have a monthly dive subscription for like 295. Seems like that would be a good deal if you dive a lot or come down for a multi-day vacation and want to dive a bunch.

14CCEEC4-C8F8-4C5C-9C4C-87501E00ED7A.jpeg

WOW they are up to $125 for a 2 tank dive. That is really getting crazy!

Home - Palm Beach Scuba

The website looks pretty thin to me, I would expect them to show some bios and pictures of staff.

Edit: However: they have a monthly dive subscription for like 295. Seems like that would be a good deal if you dive a lot or come down for a multi-day vacation and want to dive a bunch.

Social media. Most new websites are pretty thin these days.

It looks like they're putting guys on fish.

Interesting stringer system for this guy. I wonder if he uses those small stringers for sending each fish up individually due to the abundance of sharks.

Screenshot_20230218_201622_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Nice looking boat,
They bought the Keys Diver 2 boat. Thomas has put a ton of work into it and fixed it up nicely. I haven't dove it yet, but many friends say the captain and crew run a great boat. Pickups are quick, safety is #1, and the snack trays look like they came from a fancy restaurant. They know they are just getting started and are still adding improvements.

They bought the Keys Diver 2 boat. Thomas has put a ton of work into it and fixed it up nicely. I haven't dove it yet, but many friends say the captain and crew run a great boat. Pickups are quick, safety is #1, and the snack trays look like they came from a fancy restaurant. They know they are just getting started and are still adding improvements.
Let us all know when you give them a try

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom