Trip Report Erojacks Artificial Reef at Dania Beach/ Mizell-Johnson State Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the Erojacks for diving yesterday. Arrived shortly after the state park opened at 8am. Found shady parking, and geared up. Entered the water about 100ft north of the jacks, headed east until I hit the reef, and then headed southeast until I intercepted the jacks. Visibility was 30ft with green haze color close to shore, opened up to 50ft with blue color further out, sea temp was 83f. Only encountered two other divers for the entirety of the three hour dive, but there a lot snorkelers passing above me the whole time I was on the jacks.

I did not see any Tarpon. I did observe one each Nurse Shark, small Green Sea Turtle, and Atlantic Guitarfish. Atlantic Guitarfish are a rarity. In a little over 4,000 surveys I have only recorded them 16 times. The last time was in 2011. Two other observations of note. Hundreds of little orange Brittle Stars wrapped around the branches of gorgonian soft corals. There also little Brittle Stars that have the same color as the gorgonians, they are difficult to see. I am not sure if the ones with the same color as the gorgonians are a different species than the orange Brittle Stars. Also observed some sought of Brown Encrusting sponge that took up an area on the reef about 3ft by 2ft. Never seen an encrusting sponge take up that much space before.

Respectively, Brittle Stars Close Up, Erojacks Wide Angle, Sea Fan & French Grunt, Hogfish at Neon Goby Cleaning Station, More Brittlestars, Erojacks Facing East Video, Erojacks Facing East Video 2, Brittle Star Video, and Brittle Star 2 Video.
06-10-23 Brittle Stars (2).jpg
06-10-23 Erojacks Wide Angle.jpg
06-10-23 French Grunt at a Sea Fan.jpg
06-10-23 Hogfish at Cleaning Station.jpg
06-10-23 More Brittle Stars.jpg

Went to the Dania Beach Erojacks for diving today and last Saturday 6/17/23. Sea temp was 82f and visibility was 40ft with some haze on both days. Both beach and the underwater were uncrowded. Did REEF surveys on both days. Observed a few mollusks I had not added to inaturalist yet. Observed lots of grunts, nurse sharks, parrot fish, and spiny lobster on the reef adjacent to the Erojacks. Faber steel HP 80 lasts me about 165 minutes for this dive. But that is for an average depth of about 15 feet. Also of interest, and I don't know I had not noticed before. When crossing over the Whiskey Creek Bridge in the state park, heading east toward the beach prior to the sand dunes there is a dirt path behind the dunes that leads to the exact location of the Erojacks. Walking along the dirt path in dive gear is much easy than trekking down the beach in the sand, so I used that this week and last week. Respectively, Common Hairy Triton, Prunum carneum, Red Grouper, Regal Sea Goddess, Regal Sea Goddess Video, French Angelfish Video, Swimming East Along the Erojacks Video, and Gray Angelfish at Cleaning Station

06-17-23 Common Hairy Triton.jpg
06-17-23 Midnight Parrotfish.jpg
06-24-23 Marginella.jpg
06-24-23 Red Grouper.jpg
06-24-23 Sea Goddess.jpg

To avoid the crowds at both BHB and LBTS I drove down to Dania Beach yesterday to do the Erojacks again. My plan was to use the state park for access. But when I arrived at about 0840 park rangers had the park road blocked off. I asked a ranger how long the park was going to be closed. He replied, "I don't know". I asked what's going on, he replied, "A police investigation". While I thought to myself what kind of police investigation warrants closing a 310 acre park, I came to the conclusion that any further conversation would be fruitless, and not get me any closer to my ultimate destination of the Erojacks on scuba. So I made the left turn and headed towards the Dania Beach parking lot.

I drove to the the north end of the parking lot and parked, there were more people than I would expect for this time of day., but I guess people were getting an early Memorial Day Weekend start. As I was getting my gear ready I was wondering if park rangers were guarding the entrance to the park along the beach. For those not familiar, a very small amount of beach to the north of the parking lot is Dania Beach, the rest is the State Park. The section of beach south of the Erojacks is easier to access from Dania Beach than the State Park. There is a large sign that says "No Trespassing State Park", but is ignored by everybody walking along the beach.

I geared up and started walking north. Recall, from Dania Beach the Erojacks are about 1300 feet away. As I got about two hundred yards up the beach a couple with snorkel gear asked me if I intended to dive the jacks. I said yes, and they pointed out that there was a LEO another two hundred yards up the beach that had told them they couldn't snorkel there. I replied, "what they are investigating the water as well". My plan was to enter the water long before the LEO could ever reach me. However, the LEO started walking south as beach goers were walking north, and he allowed several to pass. I passed him going north, and he said nothing, so apparently the "investigation" had come to an end.

In the first post of this thread I mentioned I was unsure if there was some kind of marker for the Erojacks. Well there is, a post with what looks like a bright orange life preserver case on top it. I entered the water somewhat south of that marker and intercepted the western end of the jacks almost immediately by swimming northeast. Visibility in the shallow water was about 20ft with a greenish haze to it. Visibility further out in water greater than 15ft in depth was 40ft with blue color. Sea temp was 82F. Current was to the south. Swell was minimal when I started the dive at 0925 but picked up throughout the 150 minutes I spent under water. I was wondering about the swell, since the wind was minimal. I guess the swell was from tropical disturbance further up north.

I slowly made my way east along the erojacks, stopping to tie off my flag line frequently. The visibility was nice so it put me in a wide angle view frame of mind. So very little searching for the more diminutive invertebrates and fish. A few Tarpon put in an appearance, but they were being shy and so stayed near the edge of visibility range.

Lots of Balloonfish in the same location as last time, and in general along the erojacks. I have given it some thought and believe the Balloonfish just enjoy the cover of the erojacks. Normally Balloonfish will hover in gorgonians for cover. The patch reef surrounding the jacks is filled with gorgonians, so I think the Balloonfish just congregrate on the jacks instead of using gorgonians as they normally do.

Lots of Blue Stripe Grunts, lots of White Grunts. so many that I marked Abundant for both species on the REEF survey. "Abundant" on the REEF survey means and amount of one species>100. "Many" on a REEF survey means an amount 100>but >10, normally Blue Stripe and White Grunts are in the Many range not Abundant range.

The snorkelers I mentioned earlier passed by heading east, and then heading back west about the time I reached the halfway mark. Shortly after that nine divers passed by heading east. I figured that they were tourists or new divers because not a single one them had any exposure protection. Meanwhile yours truly is in a 3 mil and barely keeping warm enough. The only one of them to slow down was carrying the flag. She had to back track to uncross her flag line from mine. About three quarters of the way to the end the nine divers passed me heading west. It always strikes me as a little odd that divers don't stop to look more closely at things, maybe they were in wide angle mode as well.

When I reached the end of the jacks (it took 90 minutes to get 1300feet) I stayed in the vicinity for a while making fish observations. This last 75 foot portion of the jacks that intersects with the ledge tends to have the greatest concentration of fish. Its at this point in the dive, that having been forced to use the Dania Beach entrance from the south, instead of the park from the north became a blessing in disguise. I turned south and leisurely drifted with the current along the western facing ledge.

The ledge heading south seems better defined than the ledge heading north. Lots of schooling grunts hanging above and below the ledge. Observed a small Green Sea Turtle, and large Cornet fish but was unable to capture either video or still photography. When I thought I had covered about 750 feet, I popped up to confirm my location to the pier. A little more than a 100 yards to the north, perfect! I think the patch reef adjacent to the jacks the best for finding mollusks of the family Cyphoma, i.e. Spotted Cyphoma, Fingerprint Cyphoma, and Flamingo's Tongue. So I headed west south west taking my time across the patch reef to finish the dive about 75 yards north of the parking lot. Respectively, Juvenile Longfin Damsel, Porkfish, True Tulip, Western Shallow End of Erojacks, Spotted Cyphoma, Swimming East Video, Swimming East Video, Swimming South Video, and Swimming South Video.

View attachment 785379
sweet find with the spotted cyphoma. I find them pretty regulary down here. By regularly I mean by seeing a few each year.

Went to the Erojacks for diving yesterday. Arrived shortly after the state park opened at 8am. Found shady parking, and geared up. Entered the water about 100ft north of the jacks, headed east until I hit the reef, and then headed southeast until I intercepted the jacks. Visibility was 30ft with green haze color close to shore, opened up to 50ft with blue color further out, sea temp was 83f. Only encountered two other divers for the entirety of the three hour dive, but there a lot snorkelers passing above me the whole time I was on the jacks.

I did not see any Tarpon. I did observe one each Nurse Shark, small Green Sea Turtle, and Atlantic Guitarfish. Atlantic Guitarfish are a rarity. In a little over 4,000 surveys I have only recorded them 16 times. The last time was in 2011. Two other observations of note. Hundreds of little orange Brittle Stars wrapped around the branches of gorgonian soft corals. There also little Brittle Stars that have the same color as the gorgonians, they are difficult to see. I am not sure if the ones with the same color as the gorgonians are a different species than the orange Brittle Stars. Also observed some sought of Brown Encrusting sponge that took up an area on the reef about 3ft by 2ft. Never seen an encrusting sponge take up that much space before.

Respectively, Brittle Stars Close Up, Erojacks Wide Angle, Sea Fan & French Grunt, Hogfish at Neon Goby Cleaning Station, More Brittlestars, Erojacks Facing East Video, Erojacks Facing East Video 2, Brittle Star Video, and Brittle Star 2 Video.View attachment 787540View attachment 787544
Those little sea stars have been around a few years. I know of someone who was collecting them for science. Studying them to see if they are invasive or not. I have seen less this year than in years past. Don't know if it's time of year or what. I am keeping some mental notes.

Thanks for the intel on the parking lot and pricing. I quit going to the park a few years ago when that lot was closed when they were removing the Australian pines. Started using the parking lot in Dania and never really considererd the park.
Need to get back there soon.

Went to the Dania Beach Erojacks for diving today and last Saturday 6/17/23. Sea temp was 82f and visibility was 40ft with some haze on both days. Both beach and the underwater were uncrowded. Did REEF surveys on both days. Observed a few mollusks I had not added to inaturalist yet. Observed lots of grunts, nurse sharks, parrot fish, and spiny lobster on the reef adjacent to the Erojacks. Faber steel HP 80 lasts me about 165 minutes for this dive. But that is for an average depth of about 15 feet. Also of interest, and I don't know I had not noticed before. When crossing over the Whiskey Creek Bridge in the state park, heading east toward the beach prior to the sand dunes there is a dirt path behind the dunes that leads to the exact location of the Erojacks. Walking along the dirt path in dive gear is much easy than trekking down the beach in the sand, so I used that this week and last week. Respectively, Common Hairy Triton, Prunum carneum, Red Grouper, Regal Sea Goddess, Regal Sea Goddess Video, French Angelfish Video, Swimming East Along the Erojacks Video, and Gray Angelfish at Cleaning Station

View attachment 789358View attachment 789359View attachment 789360View attachment 789361View attachment 789362

Red Grouper looks more yellow than red :)

If this is how it is, sign me up!

I went to the Erojacks for diving today. Arrived at the park entrance at 0750. There was a line of cars a little longer than normal for opening on a weekend but still took less than ten minutes to get in once they opened for business at 0800. Parked in a shady spot and geared up for diving. Given the 85f sea temp at BHB yesterday, I decided to live dangerously and dive with out a wetsuit. Just a t-shirt under my bc. Good think too, it was roasting hot this morning, and even without the wetsuit I was sweating profusely by the time I finished the walk to the entry point. Visibility was about 35ft with green haze. A condition I would attribute to a lot of rain lately. Sea temp was 84f on the bottom and 87f in the green haze above. North current was strong today. I encountered a few snorkelers but not any other divers. Meandered out to the end of the jacks and turned north to drift with the current, so no beach walk necessary at the end of the dive. Observed many Flamingo Tongues, many of the tiny Brittle Stars that hang on to the soft coral gorgonians, Lesser Amberjack, Alamco Jacks, Rainbow Parrotfish, Blue Parrotfish, Queen Parrotfish, Sailfin Blennies, and many Blue Striped Grunts, one Lightning Whelk. Lightning Whelk is interesting for its sinistral opening versus dextral opening. With the apex facing up most gastropods have the aperture on the right side (dextral). With the apex facing up the Lightning Whelk has the aperture on the left side (sinistral). Respectively, Bar Jacks, Erojacks, Lightning Whelk, Vertical Hogfish, Ledge With Lots of Fish Video, Ledge With Lots of Fish Video 2, and Blue Stripe Grunts With White Stripe Grunt Video

07-04-23 Bar Jacks.jpg
07-04-23 Erojacks.jpg

07-04-23 Lighting Whelk.jpg

07-04-23 Hogfish Vertical Hover.jpeg

I went to the Erojacks for diving today. Arrived at the park entrance at 0750. There was a line of cars a little longer than normal for opening on a weekend but still took less than ten minutes to get in once they opened for business at 0800. Parked in a shady spot and geared up for diving. Given the 85f sea temp at BHB yesterday, I decided to live dangerously and dive with out a wetsuit. Just a t-shirt under my bc. Good think too, it was roasting hot this morning, and even without the wetsuit I was sweating profusely by the time I finished the walk to the entry point. Visibility was about 35ft with green haze. A condition I would attribute to a lot of rain lately. Sea temp was 84f on the bottom and 87f in the green haze above. North current was strong today. I encountered a few snorkelers but not any other divers. Meandered out to the end of the jacks and turned north to drift with the current, so no beach walk necessary at the end of the dive. Observed many Flamingo Tongues, many of the tiny Brittle Stars that hang on to the soft coral gorgonians, Lesser Amberjack, Alamco Jacks, Rainbow Parrotfish, Blue Parrotfish, Queen Parrotfish, Sailfin Blennies, and many Blue Striped Grunts, one Lightning Whelk. Lightning Whelk is interesting for its sinistral opening versus dextral opening. With the apex facing up most gastropods have the aperture on the right side (dextral). With the apex facing up the Lightning Whelk has the aperture on the left side (sinistral). Respectively, Bar Jacks, Erojacks, Lightning Whelk, Vertical Hogfish, Ledge With Lots of Fish Video, Ledge With Lots of Fish Video 2, and Blue Stripe Grunts With White Stripe Grunt Video

View attachment 791044View attachment 791045
View attachment 791048
View attachment 791051

Love the whelk!

nice. thanks for the update. We were a little further south yesterday, in the water about the same time, and had a mild north current. Just enough to know it was there. Viz though, was maybe 30ft, hazy blue with a light tinge of green

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom