New Dive Charter: Palm Beach Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AND YOU CLAIM YOU DIDN'T KNOW ?? Bull-Sheet !!.
You sound like you’re going to have a coronary over my trip report. Yes that is correct as I wrote the first time, I didn’t know there was spearfishing on the charter until I arrived at the dock. I wasn’t going to cancel a dive I traveled over 2000 miles to go on, and I’ve been on spearfishing boats before, but it was never anything like this.

Edited to add; I just looked at their FB page. Anyone who cares to look will see that there is ONE picture of a speared fish in the past month.
Don't come on SB and trash a new operator because you want to influence other potential divers by calling it a "massacre".< your words.
I feel that “massacre” is a fitting description of the carnage I saw on the boat.
I saw the pictures and they are 100% legal, ethical, and full of SMILES from happy paying customers.
I never suggested there was anything illegal going on with this charter. Yes there were lots of happy smiling divers at least one of who me was parading her catch by holding it over her head and posing for pictures. I’m in the picture and I’m smiling too. Your point?
Go back to diving with your favorite operator > Pura Vida who doesn't allow spearfishing/hunting
Thanks for the info, yes going forward I will dive with Ops who do not allow spearfishing, not only in West Palm Beach but literally everywhere I will be diving.

You sound like you’re going to have a coronary over my trip report. Yes that is correct as I wrote the first time, I didn’t know there was spearfishing on the charter until I arrived at the dock. I wasn’t going to cancel a dive I traveled over 2000 miles to go on, and I’ve been on spearfishing boats before, but it was never anything like this.

Edited to add; I just looked at their FB page. Anyone who cares to look will see that there is ONE picture of a speared fish in the past month.

I feel that “massacre” is a fitting description of the carnage I saw on the boat.

I never suggested there was anything illegal going on with this charter. Yes there were lots of happy smiling divers at least one of who me was parading her catch by holding it over her head and posing for pictures. I’m in the picture and I’m smiling too. Your point?

Thanks for the info, yes going forward I will dive with Ops who do not allow spearfishing, not only in West Palm Beach but literally everywhere I will be diving.
I think Johnoly's point is that while spearfishing isn't for everyone, you can't knock an operator who allows it. Instead, just don't dive with them. It stinks that you came all the way down here and had a bad experience, though. I understand your frustration. But now you know to dive with someone else next time. Also, don't hesitate to ask the group on here what a good operator might be for the things you are trying to do/see. There's something for almost every diver in SE Florida.

I assume this was your first time trip with this operation? You should always go "old school" on each and every new (for you) operation - call them, aske them questions, look for reviews etc. You look old enough not to assume things anymore lol. Many websites are rather poorly set up and maintained - is that something new? You are somewhat entrusting that op with your life - and assuming it's all rainbows and unicorns? Shame on you.

Imyou can't knock an operator who allows it. Instead, just don't dive with them. It stinks that you came all the way down here and had a bad experience, though. I understand your frustration.

My frustration even worse because out of a weeks worth of planned dives between Jupiter and Key Largo, and drive to those destinations and staying over- every other dive trip was canceled last minute except for the one in West Palm and a dive on rhe Spiegel Grove that was poor due to marginal conditions.

Going forward I will not dive with a charter that permits spearfishing on a dive I would be present for, if at all possible. I have already began researching which ones do this. I’ve been traveling to SE Florida to dive several times per year for the better part of 20 years and this was never a problem.

I dived with Palm Beach Scuba yesterday. Well run boat, efficient operation and helpful crew. Capt Tom did everything possible to get us on my requested dive sites. They even served hot pulled pork sandwiches and a cheese/meat board along with nice selection of beverages.

The bad- The boat was packed full, at least 17 divers which completely filled it, there were no empty spots. Many or most divers were locals and there to kill and they were very successful.

I’m in Florida as a tourist diver, I like to watch the pretty fish not see them bloody and gutted and watch divers carry them around and hold magnificent 3’ long beautiful but dead and bloodied fish over their heads while smiling for photos.

That’s a one and done for me, This was by far the worst I’ve ever seen but spearfishing has largely ruined my diving experience in SE Florida and I won’t be returning anytime soon.
what some ops do (including where i hang out at Stuart Scuba) is to drop the sightsee divers on the pretty reef and drop the hunters on the backside or slightly different spot. Better for everybody and avoid nasty accidents (and i've seen a hunter hit a diver...but not on our boats!).

what some ops do (including where i hang out at Stuart Scuba) is to drop the sightsee divers on the pretty reef and drop the hunters on the backside or slightly different spot. Better for everybody and avoid nasty accidents.
That won’t change the post dive situation with all the dead and bloodied fish on the boat. Unless they stow them or whatever. One speared fish was so big they couldn’t even close the large cooler.

You brought up another good point. That boat was packed with divers, gear, and lots of spearguns. Not a safe situation.

My frustration even worse because out of a weeks worth of planned dives between Jupiter and Key Largo, and drive to those destinations and staying over- every other dive trip was canceled last minute except for the one in West Palm and a dive on rhe Spiegel Grove that was poor due to marginal conditions.

That sucks! I assume it was not for conditions but for something else such as not enough divers or issues with the boat?

That sucks! I assume it was not for conditions but for something else such as not enough divers or issues with the boat?
All due to conditions but twice the dive site I had requested when I booked over a month prior was changed last minute to accommodate other divers but it didn’t matter because those dives were ultimately cancelled too, or dive site changed yet again due to conditions.

Going forward I will not dive with a charter that permits spearfishing on a dive I would be present for, if at all possible. I have already began researching which ones do this. I’ve been traveling to SE Florida to dive several times per year for the better part of 20 years and this was never a problem.
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. This is a tough time of year to dive if you’re from out of town. The weather is so variable and it’s tough to predict conditions more than a couple days out.

If you’re not a spear fisher I can see how seeing bloodied fish everywhere could dampen your experience. I always try to put my catch in the cooler right away. Stays fresher and doesn’t stink. There’s really no reason to keep it on the deck. The boat needs a bigger cooler if the fish don’t fit.

If you need any help in your research let me know. I’ve dove with most of the ops from Jupiter down to Boynton.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom