Zika in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn.. Are you kidding me? On this thread and elsewhere I have been attacked over and over for doing nothing more than pointing out scientific evidence and fact to date.
Not at all. What you have been "attacked" for is your implication that this so-called data proves that Zika is all some sort of a hoax and there is nothing to worry about.

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Oh my, someone loves to stir the pot, but when anyone points out, correctly, that the articles he posts are incorrect, "Im being attacked", poor martyr

let me just say, I would never attack you or anyone for posting your opinion ....

but very frankly, the last two articles you posted, are FULL OF STUPID, very clearly, on their face

Both articles basically say "there's no conclusive evidence that Zika leads to high levels of birth defects" (arguing against the strawman) and then cry conspiracy and hysteria.

NOBODY SAYS THAT ZIKA LEADS TO HIGH LEVELS OF BIRTH DEFECTS. Even if its just an added 1%, prospective parents are right to be cautious.

Im sure that the next time I get in a car I'd have much less than a 1% chance of getting in an accident, is it hysteria to buckle up?

Last edited:
Zika virus associated neurologic disease, from a posting on an Infectious Diseases bulletin board I belong to, Emerging Infections Network. There's considerably more to it than microcephaly, food for thought:

Date: Fri 11 Nov 2016 17:47

Although Zika virus, a mosquito-borne flavivirus, has been around for decades, until recently it has been associated only with sporadic cases of mild febrile illness. In 2013, however, the virus was associated with a large outbreak of Guillain-Barre syndromé (GBS) in French Polynesia. Subsequently, since 2014, it has caused explosive outbreaks of severe neurologic illness throughout Central and South America, the Caribbean, and, more recently, the continental United States. The virus has been associated with dramatically high rates of GBS, particularly in regions of Brazil, Colombia, and more recently, Puerto Rico. There is some anecdotal evidence that Zika-associated GBS may have a poorer prognosis and be associated with more severe sequelae than ‘typical’ GBS. In addition to GBS, Zika virus has been temporally associated with several other neurologic conditions, including encephalitis, myelitis, and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM); many of these cases have had evidence of presence of Zika virus in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). These other neurologic manifestations of Zika virus infection have largely limited to case reports or small case series; however, limited surveillance for these manifestations may be leading to an underestimation of burden of disease. Congenital abnormalities, including microcephaly, have largely dominated the discussions of neurologic sequelae associated with Zika virus, and indeed infants born with these devastating developmental abnormalities will represent a tremendous public health burden. It is important, however, to recognize GBS and these other neurologic manifestations.

In addition, unusual modes of transmission, including sexual transmission, have been recognized. The nature of the epidemic, and the possible future ramifications of this emerging virus, have yet to be fully explored. There is a great unmet need for the clinical community to focus on the neurologic implications of this virus, including epidemiology, recognized clinical features, and possible future directions for this latest emerging pathogen. Investigations conducted in Brazil, the most highly affected country, Colombia, and Puerto Rico have shed considerable light on neurologic manifestations of Zika infection. However, as more travel-associated Zika cases arrive in the United States, and the continental United States potentially witnesses ongoing local transmission, it will be important for U.S. clinicians to understand and help describe the various neurologic syndromes associated with the virus, including GBS, microcephaly, encephalitis, and acute myelitis.

James J. Sejvar, MD
Neuroepidemiologist
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Diseases
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Atlanta, GA

Zika virus associated neurologic disease, from a posting on an Infectious Diseases bulletin board I belong to, Emerging Infections Network. There's considerably more to it than microcephaly, food for thought:

Date: Fri 11 Nov 2016 17:47

Although Zika virus, a mosquito-borne flavivirus, has been around for decades, until recently it has been associated only with sporadic cases of mild febrile illness. In 2013, however, the virus was associated with a large outbreak of Guillain-Barre syndromé (GBS) in French Polynesia. Subsequently, since 2014, it has caused explosive outbreaks of severe neurologic illness throughout Central and South America, the Caribbean, and, more recently, the continental United States. The virus has been associated with dramatically high rates of GBS, particularly in regions of Brazil, Colombia, and more recently, Puerto Rico. There is some anecdotal evidence that Zika-associated GBS may have a poorer prognosis and be associated with more severe sequelae than ‘typical’ GBS. In addition to GBS, Zika virus has been temporally associated with several other neurologic conditions, including encephalitis, myelitis, and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM); many of these cases have had evidence of presence of Zika virus in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). These other neurologic manifestations of Zika virus infection have largely limited to case reports or small case series; however, limited surveillance for these manifestations may be leading to an underestimation of burden of disease. Congenital abnormalities, including microcephaly, have largely dominated the discussions of neurologic sequelae associated with Zika virus, and indeed infants born with these devastating developmental abnormalities will represent a tremendous public health burden. It is important, however, to recognize GBS and these other neurologic manifestations.

In addition, unusual modes of transmission, including sexual transmission, have been recognized. The nature of the epidemic, and the possible future ramifications of this emerging virus, have yet to be fully explored. There is a great unmet need for the clinical community to focus on the neurologic implications of this virus, including epidemiology, recognized clinical features, and possible future directions for this latest emerging pathogen. Investigations conducted in Brazil, the most highly affected country, Colombia, and Puerto Rico have shed considerable light on neurologic manifestations of Zika infection. However, as more travel-associated Zika cases arrive in the United States, and the continental United States potentially witnesses ongoing local transmission, it will be important for U.S. clinicians to understand and help describe the various neurologic syndromes associated with the virus, including GBS, microcephaly, encephalitis, and acute myelitis.

James J. Sejvar, MD
Neuroepidemiologist
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Diseases
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Atlanta, GA

This is of course purely anecdotal, but with all the pregnant women with babies born everyday here—and a LOT of Zika, we have NO incidence of small headed babies. Of course they may have occurred and reported as miscarriage if reported at all, but those of the medical community of whom I am close, have confirmed what I have relayed.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

This is of course purely anecdotal, but with all the pregnant women with babies born everyday here—and a LOT of Zika, we have NO incidence of small headed babies. Of course they may have occurred and reported as miscarriage if reported at all, but those of the medical community of whom I am close, have confirmed what I have relayed.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Hi Dave, that's great for Cozumel

Indeed that is good news. If the baby was alive but had a defect such as microcephaly it might be reported as a miscarriage? Is that normal, or a mistake? I ask in earnest, not being involved in the medical profession.

When I look up miscarriage, it seems to mean what I thought it meant (baby did not survive).

Indeed that is good news. If the baby was alive but had a defect such as microcephaly it might be reported as a miscarriage? Is that normal, or a mistake? I ask in earnest, not being involved in the medical profession.

When I look up miscarriage, it seems to mean what I thought it meant (baby did not survive).

I don't think that's what Dave meant. Serious developmental defects do not always allow carriage to term. If miscarried early, the defect may not specifically be picked up

I don't think that's what Dave meant. Serious developmental defects do not always allow carriage to term. If miscarried early, the defect may not specifically be picked up

Actually I was being open to the possibility that such babies may not survive long after birth, or be a partial birth abortion with coverup. I kinda doubt it--Hateful thought but possible.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Perhaps hard to contemplate but not hateful. Even the Pope is giving such things more consideration these days.

One thing to possibly add to this discussion is that DEET is not the only insect repellent that is effective for this type of mosquito. While DEET is accepted by the EPA, it has it's own set of drawbacks. A recent review by "a well know consumer testing organization" gave high marks to both picaradin and eucalyptus oil products.

Mosquito Repellents That Best Protect Against Zika

While I disagree with deepsea21, I support him posting a contrary view, particularly when that view supports caution but presents another side. Yes this is a very personal issue, but attacking an individual personally who presents a view we disagree with doesn't really help the discourse, and frankly seems to be more the norm these days. Sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom