Zika in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I disagree with deepsea21, I support him posting a contrary view, particularly when that view supports caution but presents another side. Yes this is a very personal issue, but attacking an individual personally who presents a view we disagree with doesn't really help the discourse, and frankly seems to be more the norm these days. Sad.
I draw a distinction between an "attack" against someone and a vigorous disagreement with something they have said. Simply put, calling someone stupid, for example, is very different from saying that they said a stupid thing.

Today's Wall Street Journal had a piece outlining the seeming fact that --sometimes the small head problem with Zika does not show up until after birth. The article went on to say that the heads of some Brazilian babies born under the cloud of Zika did not appear affected at birth but failed to grow normally after, and also experienced severe developmental problems.

So my observation that no Cozumel babies had small heads at birth may yet present problems in development.

Hope its not true.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Hi - wanted to get the latest info on Zika in CZ. Any new/recent transmission? Also are there many mosquitoes right now?

There are no "official" statements on the number of zika cases in CZM. Anecdotal evidence (like the number of people you know personally that have come down with it) tells me that it is going to be on CZM forever, like dengue.

There are not a lot of mosquitos around right now, but enough infected ones to put a friend of mine in the hospital with hemorrhagic dengue a little over a week ago.

I haven't heard of any Zika since last fall but perhaps El Graduado can give a better report. This time of year the mosquitoe population is lower than summer and fall but the little bastards are still around. Bear in mind that the same mosquitoes that transmitted Zika also can carry Chikungunya and Dengue fevers. This not just an Island / Caribe issue but throughout the tropical America's including the gulf coast. Last March a well loved local artist, Kim, passed away suddenly from Dengue, so there is never a completely safe period. Always use insect repellent, if not for yourself then perhaps to lessen the chance of becoming a transmission vector.

I thought we were done beating the Zika drum. I've stated what I've stated and a year later there continues to be absolutely no proven scientific link between Zika and birth defects. Zika has spread throughout the tropic zones of the Americas and the entire Caribbean. Quite frankly, there are far better reasons and more dangerous mosquito borne infections that should cause one to apply mosquito repellent than Zika.

I'm sorry you are so upset about me posting warnings to others to use repellent when in Cozumel to avoid Zika, Dengue, or Chikungunya, all diseases that I assume no one would like to contract.

None of the last few posts on this thread had anything to say about the relationship between Zika and birth defects, a subject about which you seem particularly sensitive and have an off-stated opinion about. I would ask you why you continue to beat that particular drum, but I don't think it would really help the conversation, which is directed at warning people to use repellant when they come to Cozumel to avoid Zika, Chikungunya, or dengue, not whether or not one of the three diseases can cause birth defects.

Here is one that I have not heard of in Cozumel but we worry about in N Texas, West Nile. My zip code was #1 for 2014, I use a lot of insect repellent anymore. While most cases on are usually mild it does occasionally kill people, those that it doesn't kill (the overwhelming majority) it can leave chronic issues. I think many of these mosquito spread viruses have similar issues in that the odds are it won't kill it can sure screw you up long term with chronic down line issues.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...jqx4bfGUCyS6i1MYQ&sig2=CZXYoDA8mBEO-f9Ifp9VdQ

I'm sorry you are so upset about me posting warnings to others to use repellent when in Cozumel to avoid Zika, Dengue, or Chikungunya, all diseases that I assume no one would like to contract.

None of the last few posts on this thread had anything to say about the relationship between Zika and birth defects, a subject about which you seem particularly sensitive and have an off-stated opinion about. I would ask you why you continue to beat that particular drum, but I don't think it would really help the conversation, which is directed at warning people to use repellant when they come to Cozumel to avoid Zika, Chikungunya, or dengue, not whether or not one of the three diseases can cause birth defects.

I completely agree that ANYONE traveling to areas where there are known serious mosquito borne infections should use mosquito repellent. My distaste for last year's crazy, media-pumped Zika frenzy that has now passed and been virtually forgotten destroyed tourist-based economies in affected areas that depend on tourist $ (for several months). Travelers want to travel and locals need to feed their families. For the fear mongering media (and the W.H.O. for that matter) to report such false news and make such claims with absolutely no scientific evidence is deplorable.

You are absolutely correct, there are far, far more serious mosquito borne infections that have been known for decades that one should take note of and act accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom