You just never know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, I have an issue on Sunday afternoon. I could have made the morning, but I'm catching a plane in the late afternoon.

Might I suggest that, since both of you are planning to dive on Saturday, we meet, greet and discuss after that dive?

Let me know.

Regards,

Dan

I will be diving. I'm familiar with the meeting spot as I've been out with the MWDC before (back when it was the Date at 10 in the Winter).

Are you planning shore dive or boat dives? If its a shore dive, I can supply a flag.

BTW, for the people who were concerned about the sub's depth, but who want some wreck experience, I dove on a very shallow water wreck this weekend. The Light Burne is an old tanker that ran aground just off of Block Island. The ship was subsequently stripped and burned. I'm told that the flames went so high that they almost set the Lighthouse on the top of the Bluffs on fire.

The wreck lies in no more than 35 feet of water. Vis was excellent. There are many very short swimthroughs. I saw some opportunities for "penetrations", but failed to see the point as they are (1) narrow; (2) lack anything worth seeing that justifies the risk; and (3) are home to bazillions of star fish that I didn't want to disturb, even inadvertantly.

The entire wreck is surrounded by star fish. I've never seen so many.

The ship straddles the channel marker, so you do hear a fair amount of ship traffic. To my knowledge, none came close.

We picked this trip so that some of less experienced divers in our LDS could go out on a boat dive. Some of the divers had not been in New England waters since their initial certifications because they are Carribean divers. I ended up doing some in-water repair work to one BC. Other than that, the dives went quite well.

Without naming names, I will not use the boat I was on ever again. However, I'm familiar with a couple of others that will go there. It would make a nice beginner dive or a nice second/third dive after some deeper stuff.

scuba-sass once bubbled...
Can you give us a hint as to what LDS you were visiting? Maybe the town, at least? I'd love to know where other CT-based Scubaboard folks hang out!

Scuba-sass :)

I love my new friends at International SCUBA in Southington. They also run some great trips globally.

In order of my annoyance, but not necessarily in order of importance:

1. Missed first wreck entirely (difficult to do since the remains of the bow supposedly stick out onto the beach). I did a quartering search in an attempt to find it. No luck.

2. Bad drop on second wreck.

3. Captain left us waiting for 45 minutes while he suited up and tried to find the second wreck. This was after he told us that he would be back in 5 minutes.

4. Loran/GPS numbers were bad. In the case of the second wreck, the numbers would have put us 200 feet up on the beach. This is a wreck that you find by lining up the lighthouse and the channel marker.

5. No safety brief.

6. We had to supply our own O2 kit.

7. No visible first aid kit, although there may have been one in the mass of equipment stored under the bridge and accessed through the head.

8. No site brief.

9. No dive flag during dive ops. When I pointed this out, Captain promised to fly one. It wasn't there when I surfaced and I couldn't find one.

10. Boat was surrounded by flys, which may have come from the nearby shore.

11. Storage racks could not accommodate my tanks, so they were stored in a bilge filled with brown water. I bagged off my valves, but come on.

12. Captain provided no assistance to the divers in terms of donning/removing equipment, entering/exiting boat, etc.... Maybe I'm spoiled, but the other captains I've dealt with provide more service, along with really excellent cookies (Pecan Sandies, yum, yum).

OTOH, the boat was large and accommodated many divers without crowding. It had a working head and was stable when underway.

Needless to say, I was truly disappointed. However, the second dive was excellent. 60 minutes of bottom time, and I still had plenty of gas when I surfaced (that's unusual as my SAC rate is not the best in the world).

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
along with really excellent cookies (Pecan Sandies, yum, yum).

Oh jees. You would have to mention the damn Pecan Sandies. I thought I felt the humidity level go up, and that was just Rax drooling again...

Back
Top Bottom