You just never know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raxafarian

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm at the shop tonight getting some tanks filled .... and picking up some necessary accessories (400.00 later.... but that's another story).

I'm talking to this guy about diving... charters.... diving the sub, etc. After about 1/2 hour, the topic of scubaboard comes up... We find out that we both frequent the board.... I found out that I had been talking to NortheastWrecks.

Just wanted to thank everyone that makes this board possible. It's great to have a place to talk to others that are so interested in this great hobby/sport. And it's great to meet other users in person and find more people to dive with.

Thanks again

ps. Spectre.... he has dove the u-boat several times and is up to go with us sometime.
pps. good meeting you, Dan.

Can you give us a hint as to what LDS you were visiting? Maybe the town, at least? I'd love to know where other CT-based Scubaboard folks hang out!

Scuba-sass :)

It was a pleasure meeting you. I look forward to meeting others from the Board.

The sub is a great dive. Decent vis., fascinating history and reasonable travel times. The no deco bottom time is a little short, but you can dive it all season and not see the same thing twice.

Let's try to set this up. Anybody interested?

I'm available for the sub on 8/25, 8/31, 9/2, 9/7, 9/8, 9/14, 9/21. Not sure about Oct.... but don't think I have any days avail.

The boat holds 4.

I know Spectre, Northeastwrecks, and myself are in.... 1 more? Msilvia, maybe?

The charter will go with 3, and 4 is max.

Guess I'll be setting up an 80 as a stage... or getting a al40.

Any of these days good for anyone else?

Ken

Hello all,

Spectre is correct. The U-853 is an advanced dive. You should not dive this wreck unless you have recent experience in deep water New England wreck dives, or their equivalent.

The sub lies in about 130 feet of water approximately seven miles off of Block Island, RI. The deck starts at about 112. The wreck is surrounded by debris. I've heard that the debris includes unexploded ordnance (i.e., depth charges). I have not personally seen any, but if you do, DON'T TOUCH THEM.

The wreck is largely intact. There is a large blast hole near the conning tower and ruptures along the starboard side. You can view the interior of the wreck through the blast holes, as well as through several hatches and a torpedo loading tube.

Conditions on the wreck vary. Vis is usually 10 - 20 feet. There is usually a light current. The current can become quite strong.

Water temp at this time of year averages somewhere in the mid-50's. A drysuit is highly recommended, but I've seen it done in a wetsuit.

Your NDL for this dive is very short (I don't have an RDP handy, but my deco planner tells me that the NDL on air is about 4 minutes with a mandatory safety stop).

For Nitrox divers, Nitrox 32 is not appropriate for this dive because your PO2 will exceed 1.4. You should get your fills from a shop that can handle custom blending.

I dive it on Nitrox 26, which keeps my PO2 under 1.3 even on the bottom; however, you are responsible for calculating and verifying your own mix.

Your NDL time on this wreck is very short even on Nitrox. You will burn through your gas supply quickly as well, particularly if you are using an AL80. In my experience, people with AL80's doing a no deco Nitrox dive average about 6 - 8 minutes of bottom time. However, you must calculate your own time and are responsible for your own gas management.

You will need appropriate safety equipment. At a minimum, that includes a lift bag and upline, slate, wreck reel, safety sausage, lights, and all of the other things that keep us alive down there.

When Raxafarian and I discussed the dive, we agreed that it will be a no deco dive with no penetration. If you plan on something else, please do it on another trip.

The Captains I use for this dive will want to see your AOW cards, verify that you have recent experience deep diving NE wrecks and confirm that you have skills that are appropriate for the environment. For that reason, you may be asked for your log book if you haven't been out on the boat before. You should consider doing a couple shallower wreck dives (anyone up for the Heroine, 70+ fsw) off of these dive boats before you do the sub.

That said, if people are interested, please let me know. I believe that we can comfortably accommodate four divers on the Tresta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom