You just never know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many thanks to NEWrecks for such a clear, un-patronizing assesment of the experience and equipment necessary to attempt the U-853.

Often, we fall into the pattern of using jargon, and discussing dives that are only appropriate after a certain amount of training, without pointing out what that training and experience is. Not all of us know which wrecks are appropriate for our own level, and which are way beyond us. Sometimes, the experienced folks can be a little High & Mighty when a comparative newbie wants to join in. It was refreshing to have it spelled out up front.

Thanks!

Now - if this trip comes off, be sure to post great trip reports, so we ALL can learn from them! (Not to mention, be incredibly envious...)

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

scuba-sass once bubbled...
Many thanks to NEWrecks for such a clear, un-patronizing assesment of the experience and equipment necessary to attempt the U-853.
I hope no one took my earlier posts as sarcasm. I'm really not trying to be patronizing. I do, however, want people to know what they are getting themselves into.

If there are "comparative newbies" interested in some shallower wrecks, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Scuba-Sass, where do you dive?

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

I hope no one took my earlier posts as sarcasm. I'm really not trying to be patronizing. I do, however, want people to know what they are getting themselves into.

Scuba-Sass, where do you dive?

I believe that neither post was sarcastic. Your description was extremely informative in an FYI way, rather than a "what, are you stupid?" kind of way.

I've run into a bunch of divers that seem to want to share information for the purpose of showing their superiority, as well as a bunch that share information to increase awareness and to be helpful...I'm glad you are the second type :)

though a bit out of my range. Deepest I have got in these waters was diving the Chester Polling in Glaucester harbor. That was a great dive. I think the deck sits in about 70' with max depth of about 100' (I think I hit about 90 that day). Not sure on the exact depths but it was a lot of fun. I am trying to get my wife to take some "advanced" courses with me but this summer is a little busy. Probably have to wait untill next year...
Have fun. Can't wait to hear the trip report.
Doug

Ok. All dreaming aside. Dan, are you going to be around next saturday to meet up with us? I think we definately need to sit down and bluntly discuss this.

I made a comment to Rax last weekend that this season might be a little premature. My truely serious deep wrecks have all been with people far more experienced than I.

At this point in time, I don't know if I'd be comfortable with a 3 person buddy team, where two of the 3 are seriously pushing their envelopes... it's not safe, and I don't know if I'm comfortable putting Dan in that position. If we are to do this this season, we would definately need a 4th with plenty of experience.

The two dates proposed I believe are a little soon for me to get comfortable with my new gear, as I don't think I'll be able to get out on anything deep between now and then.

I'd be more inclined to suggest we dive together on a few deep wrecks to get comfortable with each other before we try and tackle the 853, some stuff in the 90-110 range [some searching brings up possiblities of Black Point, Grecian, P.T. Teti].

Thoughts?

I'm in no hurry... it's not going anywhere. I think it'll be good for us to do some of the 90-100ft wrecks together and work up (or down, actually) to it... Plus I'll have to get an al-40 and rig it and get used to it as a stage.

The Black Point's bow section is upside down in 100' (top of wreck reached at 75')

The Grecian is 90' to the sand.

The L-8 is in 110' (100' to the deck)

The Idene is 85'.

The above wrecks are easily reached out of R.I.

Chester Poling out of cape ann is 90'.

So basically, we can get some charters and just tell him we want 90-100' or so. The dates I posted stand as being available for these dives.

raxafarian once bubbled...
The L-8 is in 110' (100' to the deck)

I've heard conflicting reports on the L-8. I've heard 115, I've heard 150. I've never found any trip reports or any real details about it. where'd you find info?

The Idene is 85'.

I've got 90 on the Idene that first time, but since I crashed into the sand last weekend and only hit 82, I wonder if the bottom of the hold is below the sand?

The above wrecks are easily reached out of R.I.

I wonder if Jim knows where the P.T. Teti is, or anything about it. The only reference I can find states "100', usually good vis, mostly intact and upright. Sank in storm in 1972." I've got loran and gps coordinates, but no sense treking out there if we don't know they are accurate. The location says "Off Sakonnet Point".
[data from www.wreckhunter.net ]

I'd be up for something 100-110, followed by the Idene... 8/7'd be better for me than labor day.

Spectre and Raxafarian:

Yes. I can make arrangements to be available next Saturday. Should we call Jim and book Tresta?

I agree that it would be a good idea to meet and dive together on shallower wrecks before hitting the sub.

The Black Point is an interesting thought. It was the ship sunk by the U-853. I've not been on it before.

The Heroine was fun. It's blown out, but interesting. I've done it as a second dive after the sub. I've also done two dives on it.

My one suggestion is that we pick a wreck that at least one of us has been on before.

Spectre, FWIW, I can also hook us up with some REALLY experienced tech types. These are the guys who brought me up and started my tech training. Raxafarian met two of them last night (the lift bag guy and the one who was supervising me as I filled the tanks).

I'll PM both of you with my telephone number at work and home. Let's talk.

It is not critical to me that we do the sub. It is critical that we enjoy ourselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom