Xtx50 Vs Xtx200

50 or 200?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ycc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
finally locked on to this 2 reg, XTX50 and XTX200

I got a deal from the store

DS4, XTX50, XTX50 octo, SPG - $570

FSR, XTX200, XTX50 octo, SPG - $690

As far as I know, the 2nd stages are basically the same so the only difference is in the 1st stage.
I just couldn't tell if the $200 difference is worth it.

So I seek for your vote and comment here, please help me with the decision

Reactions: ycc
As far as I know, the 2nd stages are basically the same so the only difference is in the 1st stage.
I just couldn't tell if the $200 difference is worth it.

You're right that the XTX50, XTX100 and XTX200 2nd stages are the same - except for the looks. The FSR has 2 HP ports and a replaceable valve seat, the DS4 has 1 HP port and a non-replaceable valve seat.

Are you happy with "only" one HP port? Are you prepared to just go out and buy a new 1st instead of having it serviced if the seat fails? If the answer both of those two questions is 'yes', go for the XTX50 set. If not, go for the XTX200 set.

The current "sweet spot" for the Apeks regs is the XTX 50 but with the DST (rotating turret 1st stage). The FSR is relatively "light" and good for travel plus it has the replaceable HP orifice as Storker said. This is more of an insurance feature, I have never had a problem with the fixed hard seat (I have a bunch of Apeks 1st stages with the oldest pushing 10 years old - though I service them myself and am real careful with the orifices.) If you see tech diving or sidemount in your future then the DST is your best bet.

try to get them to quote you the XTX50's with the DST first stage with the 5th port. Much better overall.

Regarding the replaceable seat, the hard seat will NOT fail under normal conditions. What will cause it to fail is debris getting past the filter, or technicians screwing it up. If you let the filter get that bad, you'd be lucky if the hard seat is the only thing wrong with it, and if the technician screws it up, they better replace it for free...

I have been diving the same DS4 + TX50 since 1998(rec and tec).
Unless I can look at the inside of the 1st stage, I will not buy any used Apeks except FSR.

I have been diving the same DS4 + TX50 since 1998(rec and tec).
Unless I can look at the inside of the 1st stage, I will not buy any used Apeks except FSR.

why? is an ip check insufficient? If it is holding a stable IP the hp seat isn't damaged.... Ah well, ?I love my poseidons, they're removable and like $5 to replace :p

Taking advice from you guys
Got another quote from the dealer for DST, surprisingly same price as DS4
That's a good deal I think?

So I go with DST XTX50 finally, can't wait to dive with it!

why? is an ip check insufficient? If it is holding a stable IP the hp seat isn't damaged.... Ah well, ?I love my poseidons, they're removable and like $5 to replace :p
I have a DST with a bit of corrosion at the orifice. The IP will creep unless the HP seat is brand new. A replaceable one(FSR only) will solve the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom