XTX200 vs XTX50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

natal_nihilist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm looking at getting a new regulator and after much vacillating over what brand to get (should I get the Cressi Compact it's a really good deal, the Hollis 200LX looks so cool but its expensive and servicing it might be a PITA) I think I've settled on the Apeks XTX50. However now I see that I can pick up a XTX200 with the FRS for $25 more than a XTX50 with the DST. Is it worth it? Basically the cost of a middling bottle of wine? Both come with the XTX40 octopus.

Also open to any other suggestions.

I own a few of both kinds. The XTX50 (DST) is the "sweet spot" in terms of price vs. performance for Apeks 1st stages. The 50 comes with a swivel which is mandatory if you are planning to do sidemount. The swivel also makes cleaner routing for back mount. Both will work well for twins but you do eliminate one failure point with the FSR - the swivel. You can add a 5th port for both which makes the routing even better for twins. The FSR also comes with a replaceable "hard" HP seat which (theoretically) will prevent you from scrapping the reg if the seat fails or gets damaged. But I have not seen any DST regs scrapped because of the hard seat failure. In short the DST is the most bang for the buck and essential if you want to do sidemount and the FSR comes with the replaceable hard seat, a little nicer routing (the ports on each side are parallel to each other), and theoretically, 1 less failure point.

I own a few of both kinds. The XTX50 (DST) is the "sweet spot" in terms of price vs. performance for Apeks 1st stages. The 50 comes with a swivel which is mandatory if you are planning to do sidemount. The swivel also makes cleaner routing for back mount. Both will work well for twins but you do eliminate one failure point with the FSR - the swivel. You can add a 5th port for both which makes the routing even better for twins. The FSR also comes with a replaceable "hard" HP seat which (theoretically) will prevent you from scrapping the reg if the seat fails or gets damaged. But I have not seen any DST regs scrapped because of the hard seat failure. In short the DST is the most bang for the buck and essential if you want to do sidemount and the FSR comes with the replaceable hard seat, a little nicer routing (the ports on each side are parallel to each other), and theoretically, 1 less failure point.
Eh, seems very marginal. Basically I should just get the XTX50 and a mediocre bottle of Burgundy instead of the XTX200?

Eh, seems very marginal. Basically I should just get the XTX50 and a mediocre bottle of Burgundy instead of the XTX200?
Yep, the DST will get you the most bang for your buck. But if you have that extra cash burning a hole in your pocket and just buying one set, you can go for the 200. The 200 is also lighter and smaller if you do a lot of traveling.

I have an XTX 200 and love it...I did add the fifth port ...For single tank use it is excellent. Don't know about doubles routing with it. Breathes amazing.

I am assuming when you talking XTX50 and XTX200 your talking about second stages.

If that is the case save your money and stick with the XTX50 it is the exact same as and XTX200 internally. The only difference is the XTX200 has some extra "plastic chrome" to the front cover and an XTX200 emblem. Performance wise they are the exact same.

I was assuming he was talking about the first and second stage being XTX200

Xtx 200 first stage has a replaceable crown 50 does not but this is a non issue in most cases. Otherwise functionally identical aside from the turrent.

The 200 may cause people to think you have money to burn lol.

Back
Top Bottom