XTX200 vs XTX50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an XTX 200 and love it...I did add the fifth port ...For single tank use it is excellent. Don't know about doubles routing with it. Breathes amazing.
For the foreseeable future I’m only diving singles, and I can always get a different set of 1st stage if needs be down the line?

For the foreseeable future I’m only diving singles, and I can always get a different set of 1st stage if needs be down the line?
All Apeks 1st and 2nd stages are compatible with each other. Hell, any 1st and 2nd stage combination will work as long as their working intermediate pressures (IP) are reasonably the same (9-10 bar/135-145 psi for Apeks). It is always a good idea to stick to one brand/type of regulator in case you do end up doing tech diving or doing sidemount. For Apeks regs, the service kits (both 1st and 2nd stages) are the same across their line except for the Flight series. If you every want to do DIY service (Insert mandatory "You are gonna die" comment here: :-D ), you only need to invest in a single set of tools for all your regs. For sidemount, a swivel is mandatory, so if you have any plans or interest in sidemount diving, you should get the DST which is more "future proof".

As others have mentioned, the 2nd stages are essentially the same aside from the chrome 'bling' on the 200, so your choice should be based on which 1st stage you prefer.
I got the the xtx200 simply because, at the time, there was a deal on for the 200 making it cheaper than the 50...so a no brainer. I only do back mount so don't necessarily need a turret. Not sure whether either of the 1st stages is superior regarding routing for back mount but I like my fsr.
The regs breathe lovely btw :)

As others have mentioned, the 2nd stages are essentially the same aside from the chrome 'bling' on the 200, so your choice should be based on which 1st stage you prefer.
I got the the xtx200 simply because, at the time, there was a deal on for the 200 making it cheaper than the 50...so a no brainer. I only do back mount so don't necessarily need a turret. Not sure whether either of the 1st stages is superior regarding routing for back mount but I like my fsr.
The regs breathe lovely btw :)
So I also found a really good deal on the 200 the other day, which makes it around $100 cheaper! Seems a bit like a no brainer!

A note on the special edition XTX 200s. I got a good online deal on a Black Sapphire XTX 200 from a liquidation sale. The 2nd stage is unbearably heavy and gave me jaw fatigue so I switched to an XTX 50 for the 2nd stage.

Attachments

• 20220530_160655.jpg
    20220530_160655.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 87
What type of dives do you usually do? I try to explain why this question my be important :)

Xtx200 and xtx50 are excellent regulators for demanding dives, especially in cold water. Usually, in these conditions, you'd like to have redundancy, like double tanks (other options exist).

If you aren't diving in these conditions (or aren't planning to do so in the early future), the only reason I can imagine to buy these regulators vs. others is aesthetic... If this is the case, just go for the one you like :)

I like Apek's cheap second stages -- ATX40. They work well, are reliable, and are... cheap.

The xTX50 second stages add a tuning knob. Never used it apart from leaving it in the 'easy' position. BTW you can get one of those knobs for not-a-lot to retrofit to an xTX40, sort of converting it to a xTX50.

First stages are either the venerable DS4 (dry sealed 4-port). The DST (dry sealed turret) is great as a stage regulator. Have re-used a couple of Tec3s (basically a DS4 with the 3 LP ports pointing down) as bailout stage regulators. Nice, even more neat in routing.

There's some great prices from some outlets online. Search "Apeks AT Regulator & Octopus Includes all Hoses & SPG"

Back
Top Bottom