xdeep vs dive rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
rsfinn57

rsfinn57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
HI
I am a warm water travel diver with a 15 year old scubapro litehawk. It is getting long in the tooth and i want to replace it with a bcd with integrated weights. I am torn between the xdeep ghost and the dive rite hydro lite. The xdeep tacos not sure if this is a real issue. Would appreciate any thoughts

I purchased the Ghost years ago after I did my AOW and put probably 25+ dives on it. With hindsight, I probably wouldn't buy it again. I transitioned to a more traditional BP/W setup and ended up disassembling the Ghost (which is a royal PITA to do). I would either go for a continuous webbing BP/W or the Dive Rite (I know some people who use it for travel and love it). The Ghost was just unnecessarily complicated with a lot of buckles and pads and it was not any more comfortable or easy to use as compared to my other setups. My philosophy: keep it simple stupid.

I have not dove the Ghost, but I own a hydrolight. I really like it. It dives well and is incredibly lightweight for traveling.

HI
I am a warm water travel diver with a 15 year old scubapro litehawk. It is getting long in the tooth and i want to replace it with a bcd with integrated weights. I am torn between the xdeep ghost and the dive rite hydro lite. The xdeep tacos not sure if this is a real issue. Would appreciate any thoughts

I am a fan of Dive Rite's gear, but looking at the Hydro Lite, it seems like they took their Transpac harness and permanently affixed a wing to it....I am under the impression the wing is not removable. If that is the case, for versatility, I would recommend purchasing their Transpac harness and adding their travel wing and QB weight pockets to get what you are after...this setup will provide the same benefits with the addtion of everything being modular so that you can remove/change the pockets if you desire, and/or change the wing if you need one with more lift or just need to replace it due to damage.

-Z

pk-251311-al_1b.jpg

Just get a plate and a wing. Both of the options you mentioned made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Bingo.
Here we go again.
The OP asked " I want to replace it with a bcd with integrated weights".
Stole this from Doc a few years ago, nothing has changed.

SB_bingo.jpeg

Bingo.
Here we go again.
The OP asked " I want to replace it with a bcd with integrated weights".
Stole this from Doc a few years ago, nothing has changed.

I am not sure if the OP is aware of the options available on the market or if they even know about the products they specified...or may be they do and are using BCD as a generic term for that inflatable thing we wear on our upper body when we dive. A quick check of the Xdeep website indicates the Xdeep Ghost is a skeletonized aluminium backplate and wing:

To my knowledge, Xdeep doesn't make/market a bcd...all their systems come with either a steel or aluminium plate, unless they have a new version of their offerings that are not yet listed on their website(s):

-Z

Not sure if your post was an attempt at snark or humor, but it adds nothing to the discussion
OK, it was humour.
Thought it was going the way of the 'just get a backplate and wing' .
, I would recommend purchasing their Transpac harness and adding their travel wing and QB weight pockets to get what you are after...this setup will provide the same benefits with the addtion of everything being modular so that you can remove/change the pockets if you desire, and/or change the wing if you need one with more lift or just need to replace it due to damage.
I will go with this ^^.

OK, it was humour.
Thought it was going the way of the 'just get a backplate and wing' .

I will go with this ^^.

To be fair, I edited my post above to remove my snappiness. My apologies.

-Z

Both look like very useable choices, x deep is more conventional bp/w and intigrate weight by bolting to the back plate, the DR put them in an easier place to reach if you were to want to drop them, all of these features can be incorporated into a cheaper modular bp/w set up but these will fill the bill just fine, I would go with whichever you can get the best deal on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom