First BCD: an embarras du choix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calatinus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all!

I recently got into scuba diving, and am currently working on getting my CMAS 1* certificate. So, a scuba virgin, if you want.

But, I fell in love, and it actually became my favourite hobby quite fast. So I'm dedicated to really get into it and get the best out of it.

I'm looking to buy my very first BCD. I've dived a few times with a jacket-style BCD, and a few times with a wing-style BCD. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not, but with a jacket-style BCD I just keep rolling from side to side when flutter kicking, whereas I feel very stable with a wing-style BCD.

I've read some articles, forum posts etc. and understand that indeed, wings tend to keep you in a more stable, horizontal trim if correctly weighted and ... well, trimmed.

So, the first question is: should I indeed buy a wing-style BCD, even if it is my first BCD? For the record, I'm looking for a single-tank BCD.

Then comes the question which one. As I mentioned in the title, this is a real embarras du choix (overchoice). I have a few wing-style BCD's that appeal to me:
  • Scubapro Hydros Pro
  • Oceanic Excursion
  • Apeks Exotec
  • XDEEP Zen
  • XDEEP Zeos
  • OMS Comfort III Signature Performance
I've been through lots of threads, reviews and YouTube videos on these BCDs, but they don't seem to solve my embarras du choix. They all seem appropriate, but that doesn't help me. Even the direct comparison of the Zen and Zeos on XDEEP's website doesn't help me to choose between either of the two.

How would I know which BCD I would feel most comfortable with? Ordering all of them is not much of an option, and trying them out regularly offends return policies 😁 Does someone have experience with one or more of these BCDs? Which factors would determine which BCD would be more or less appropriate for me? Assume that budget doesn't take part in the decision-making (well, upper limit is €1,000).

For the record, dives will mostly be in Belgian waters, mostly fresh, non-salty, and will, hopefully, gradually be deeper and deeper, depending on progress.

Thanks all!

Calatinus

I wasn't happy with jacket BCD either. I got a BP&W and LOVE it. Took a few dives to get all the straps and adjustments settled with the new webbing, but now that I have it dialed in to fit me it is the greatest. Great deals from Dive Gear Direct. I got a Dive Rite, light (2.5lbs) stainless steel plate with the TransPlate harness and the travel (25lbs lift) wing. Absolutely love the double cam straps, as my rental jacket BCD always slipped the cylinder out. I immediately noticed improved trim and comfort vs. the bulkiness of the bulging jacket sides.

I'm perfectly happy diving in trim with both jacket and plate or anything else

Hi all!

I recently got into scuba diving, and am currently working on getting my CMAS 1* certificate. So, a scuba virgin, if you want.

But, I fell in love, and it actually became my favourite hobby quite fast. So I'm dedicated to really get into it and get the best out of it.

I'm looking to buy my very first BCD. I've dived a few times with a jacket-style BCD, and a few times with a wing-style BCD. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not, but with a jacket-style BCD I just keep rolling from side to side when flutter kicking, whereas I feel very stable with a wing-style BCD.

I've read some articles, forum posts etc. and understand that indeed, wings tend to keep you in a more stable, horizontal trim if correctly weighted and ... well, trimmed.

So, the first question is: should I indeed buy a wing-style BCD, even if it is my first BCD? For the record, I'm looking for a single-tank BCD.

Then comes the question which one. As I mentioned in the title, this is a real embarras du choix (overchoice). I have a few wing-style BCD's that appeal to me:
  • Scubapro Hydros Pro
  • Oceanic Excursion
  • Apeks Exotec
  • XDEEP Zen
  • XDEEP Zeos
I've been through lots of threads, reviews and YouTube videos on these BCDs, but they don't seem to solve my embarras du choix. They all seem appropriate, but that doesn't help me. Even the direct comparison of the Zen and Zeos on XDEEP's website doesn't help me to choose between either of the two.

How would I know which BCD I would feel most comfortable with? Ordering all of them is not much of an option, and trying them out regularly offends return policies 😁 Does someone have experience with one or more of these BCDs? Which factors would determine which BCD would be more or less appropriate for me? Assume that budget doesn't take part in the decision-making (well, upper limit is €1,000).

For the record, dives will mostly be in Belgian waters, mostly fresh, non-salty, and will, hopefully, gradually be deeper and deeper, depending on progress.

Thanks all!

Calatinus
Ah, so.

The old Backplate and wing vs. Stab Jacket debate on ScubaBoard, eh?

I will tell you, I did my first thousand or so dives in a Oceanic Stab Jacket, and I still have a newer version of it hanging in my gear rack. It suited me just fine.

Then, my (now wife) got me to try a backplate and wing, the real thing, a Dive-Rite stainless backplate with STA and Trans-Plate Harness. Although I have worn the stab jacket since, I have almost 5000 dives on the same backplate and many harnesses.

So, I'm not a big fan of packaged back inflate BCDs, I prefer to try different combinations of what works (I own at least 10 wings), it takes a lot of experience to decide what works best for you.

I realize that this doesn't help you narrow down your choice. But does your dive shop have any you can rent and try? Anyone in your club have one to lend you?

The only way to choose is to try each one and see what you like about all of them.

They are looking for a gear solution to their skills problem. If you are a good diver, you should be able to achieve good buoyancy & trim in any style BCD.
I would look at the Sub Gravity BP/W. You will get a choice of 3 stainless steel & 3 aluminum backplates, 4 wing lift capacities, their wings don't require a single tank adapter, 2 harness styles, and 3 weight pocket sizes. They make great quality gear and have good customer service. I have their 3mm aluminum backplate, 26 lb wing, and adjustable harness. Paragon Single Tank Package - SubGravity

Calling @Zef who has years of diving in Belgium.

Since you already know you like a backplate and wing (BP/W) system, then get one. It's absolutely appropriate for any level of diver. I set up one for my son to get certified in.

As to which BP/W... My advice is to stick with something that uses standard components, so that eliminates everything except the Xdeep options from your list.

Yeah. Dont buy bpw combos. They nearly always have something silly to reel in the bcd guys. Odd harness. Worthless cinch things. Padding (as if our wetsuit and blubber wasnt enough). Even Halcyon has as many weirdo setups as they have standard bpw's.

Select each part individually, for a nice custom touch.

Get a plain old bp.

A wing with the inflator located where it doesnt hit the tank. (Offset left for singles, centered maybe for doubles)

Any generic 15' webbing, and any crotch strap. Any buckle, cam straps, drings, you want. Build it yourself.

You can use the Dive Gear Express bpw kit as an example of what you need to order. Then choose whatever brands are local over there.

Im building up a retardedly expensive, but travel light, Ti rig right now. Just for the fun of it. You really dont have to spend like that.

Agree with lowwall that a stainless plate, plain donut wing with +/- 14 kg (+/- 30 pounds) of lift, and a simple 1-piece harness with crotch strap is all that you need. Of the ones on your list the XDEEP Zeos with standard configuration is the only one like that, and is by far the cheapest.

Since you are looking at OMS, consider the simple harness version of that product. I dive this the 32lb version myself in a variety of conditions. Warm water in a t-shirt, warm water in a 3mm wetsuit, cold water in a 8mm wetsuit, cold water in a drysuit. I have also dived it in cold water with doubles, by swapping out the wing (but same exact harness and plate!). And it comes in pink! https://en.omsdive.store/produktseite/oms-performance-mono-mit-dir-harness

Padding, quick-disconnects, weight pockets, etc are all ways to increase the cost of a product, but do not add much value. Small (2kg / 4lb) trim pockets are useful add-ons, but large pockets (4kg+ / 8lb+, moving parts) are too bulky to be useful. A stainless single-tank adapter (STA) is nice to have, easily worth the +/- $50 it will cost you, but can be skipped if you want to save money. Wings which are claimed to work with singles and doubles are a lie -- if you ever do doubles, you will need a second wing for that.

Hi all!

• Scubapro Hydros Pro
  • Oceanic Excursion
  • Apeks Exotec
  • XDEEP Zen
  • XDEEP Zeos

Thanks all!

Calatinus
Calling @Zef who has years of diving in Belgium.

Since you already know you like a backplate and wing (BP/W) system, then get one. It's absolutely appropriate for any level of diver. I set up one for my son to get certified in.

As to which BP/W... My advice is to stick with something that uses standard components, so that eliminates everything except the Xdeep options from your list.

Hi, I lived and dived in Belgium for nearly 10 years. We just moved back to the US a little over 1.5 years ago.

I am strongly in favor of backplate and wing, and for diving in Belgium I would recommend a stainless steel plate. For single tank diving in Belgium's cold waters where one is often in a 7mm wetsuit or a drysuit, I recommend a wing that has a lift capacity rating of between 30 and 35lbs. The plate and harness will give you the vesatility to adopt a doubles configuration with only a change of the wing, if you decide that in the future.

For specific brand, the gear offerings from Tecline are well designed and affordable. There is a quarry at Lillé (ville du Sprimont, pas loin de La Gombe) that used to have an on-site Tecline dealer situated in a trailer in the parking. You could test dive any of their equipment at the quarry. Give the quarry a call to see if Tecline is still there and if/when they are available....+32 (0) 491-40-51-21.

I also recommend you speak with David at Dive Factory in the Waterloo area, I am sure he can help you with your choices. Another good shop is Globe Marine in Drogenbos, the owner, Sabine, is very knowledable as are her parents who started the shop years ago and often are behind the counter . Depending on where you live/work I can recommend other shops to visit or stay away from.

I can also link you up with some dive partners and a club if you desire. Members of the club I was in dive open water at least 2x/week and are in the pool 1x/week throughout the entire year, send me a private message through this board and I will provide more details.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom