First BCD: an embarras du choix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For specific brand, the gear offerings from Techline are well designed and affordable. ...

-Z
I came across Tecline (no "h") when I was looking for European BP/W manufacturers other than OMS and Xdeep, but I didn't want to mention a company I had no familiarity with.

They make a conventional doughnut wing, but also have an interesting wing that sits lower on the plate except for a bit that comes up so the inflator is in the conventional location. Also comes in several color options.

tecline-peanut-16.jpg

The website is Scuba Diving Equipment | TecLine

Reactions: Zef
Hi all!

I recently got into scuba diving, and am currently working on getting my CMAS 1* certificate. So, a scuba virgin, if you want.

But, I fell in love, and it actually became my favourite hobby quite fast. So I'm dedicated to really get into it and get the best out of it.

I'm looking to buy my very first BCD. I've dived a few times with a jacket-style BCD, and a few times with a wing-style BCD. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not, but with a jacket-style BCD I just keep rolling from side to side when flutter kicking, whereas I feel very stable with a wing-style BCD.

I've read some articles, forum posts etc. and understand that indeed, wings tend to keep you in a more stable, horizontal trim if correctly weighted and ... well, trimmed.

So, the first question is: should I indeed buy a wing-style BCD, even if it is my first BCD? For the record, I'm looking for a single-tank BCD.

Then comes the question which one. As I mentioned in the title, this is a real embarras du choix (overchoice). I have a few wing-style BCD's that appeal to me:
  • Scubapro Hydros Pro
  • Oceanic Excursion
  • Apeks Exotec
  • XDEEP Zen
  • XDEEP Zeos
  • OMS Comfort III Signature Performance
I've been through lots of threads, reviews and YouTube videos on these BCDs, but they don't seem to solve my embarras du choix. They all seem appropriate, but that doesn't help me. Even the direct comparison of the Zen and Zeos on XDEEP's website doesn't help me to choose between either of the two.

How would I know which BCD I would feel most comfortable with? Ordering all of them is not much of an option, and trying them out regularly offends return policies 😁 Does someone have experience with one or more of these BCDs? Which factors would determine which BCD would be more or less appropriate for me? Assume that budget doesn't take part in the decision-making (well, upper limit is €1,000).

For the record, dives will mostly be in Belgian waters, mostly fresh, non-salty, and will, hopefully, gradually be deeper and deeper, depending on progress.

Thanks all!

Calatinus
I have only used 1 bcd, Scubapro Hydros Pro. Bought mine used, and have put over 320 dives on it. It is the BCD I used during my OW course. I still love it, no desire to switch to a BP/W. It is considered as a back inflate, bcd.

I 100% agree with the recommendation of getting a standard backplate, donut wing and harness. It's cheaper, bulletproof, and you can get standard replacement parts. Brand doesn't really matter as long as you get an appropriate wing (not too big, single bladder, no bungees), but I only have good things too say about my Halcyon wing (except the price).

For cold water diving you want the stainless steel backplate.

I started with a back-inflate BCD similar to the ones you are considering but there is still a difference to an actual BPW (to which I eventually changed).

As you are in Europe, I would recommend Tecline.

The simpler the better. I'd recommend the Zeos (the cheapest one), the plainest possible. No deluxe harness or anything. The plain old single strap harness is the most comfortable setup ever. It feels great, and especially if youre diving 12l/al80. It's like not wearing anything. I used to have the DGX S1, and it was one of the best wings I ever used.

Lots of very useful comments and feedback! Thanks all! I'll have to let it sink in, and indeed, test different products before making the final choice. I'd indeed go for a real BP/W instead of a back-inflate BC jacket-style. I currently tend to look more into Tecline and XDEEP.

As to lift capacity, taking into account the cold to moderate Belgian temperatures (mostly) and 7 + 3 mm wetsuit, I'd suppose lift capacity of around 30–35 lbs should suffice with a steel backplate?

Any arguments against shoulder strap padding? I was wondering whether this extra bit of comfort for bare-skin pool trainings is worth the extra fuss; does it interfere with other specifications, performance ...? I've only used BP/Ws with no backplate padding, but don't find that part too uncomfortable, it really doesn't bother me, even on bare skin, but shoulder strap padding would be nice in those circumstances. If, and only if, this does not interfere with its ease of use etc. in open waters with wetsuit.

I've only used BP/Ws with no backplate padding, but don't find that part too uncomfortable, it really doesn't bother me, even on bare skin, but shoulder strap padding would be nice in those circumstances. If, and only if, this does not interfere with its ease of use etc. in open waters with wetsuit.
I have the shoulder pads from XDeep, they can be mounted and dismounted very easily with a velcro.

Whether this is a gain in comfort is a matter of taste.

Just buy second hand. It's a LOT cheaper and they're relatively risk free to purchase.

The main test is to ensure it stays inflated and the dumps work.

A backplate, harness and wing is a lot more simple than a jacket BC. For a single-tank, you need a "single tank adapter" which bolts to the tank and backplate. Generally comes with the wing, especially if bought second hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom